Author Topic: Moses Nowland  (Read 1248 times)

Katz427

• View Profile
Moses Nowland
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:16:34 PM »
Moses Nowland passed away August 14th. For those who knew him, or knew who he was, the man was a huge part of Ford's racing efforts. A 57 year career, with Ford. Pretty amazing! God bless him.

SSdynosaur

• View Profile
Re: Moses Nowland
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
Sad news. Truly, a gentle spirit and will be greatly missed by the entire Ford/FE community. My wife and I attended the 2014 Fairlane Club 50th Anniversary of the Thunderbolt celebration and dinner and were invited by Mr. Nowland to join him at the Ford Engineer's table. My most memorable recollection of the entire event was simply being an privledged observer at the table to witness the banter between, mainly, Bill Holbrook (RIP) and Mr. Nowland, forged in their friendship of working closely together on Ford performance projects for many decades. Godspeed, and thank you for the memories.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 10:36:29 PM »
A couple of comments. First, Mr Nowland was my 'go-to' guy for many years. I first met him in the mid '60s, when I was working at T&C Livonia and involved in some of the factory-sponsored racing endeavors. He was always willing to go out of his way to come up with answers to my questions. Many times his info made me look real smart when I was pontificating during the time I spent writing for Super Ford Magazine, Mustang Illustrated Magazine, Mustang and Fords Magazine and a few others. He was really a class guy.

Second, his first name was Mose. :) Moses was that guy in the Old Testament ;D

KS

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 01:54:18 PM »
I knew everyone always referred to him as Mose. At the Henry Ford, people referred to him as Mr. Mose Nowland. However, I was a bit surprised that his obituary in the Detroit Free Press, read, Moses R. Nowland III.

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 09:55:12 PM »
Without wanting to appear at all political( ;D) that's just another example of the freep not getting things right. :)

KS

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 07:47:43 AM »
RIP Mose!

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »
  I had contact with Mose many times over the last 40 years. He was always amazed at the parts I had found and couldn't understand how they "got out of Ford".  Fifteen years ago when he attended the PRI show in Orlando Mose was there and also one of his engineers he hadn't seen since the '80s. The reunion was priceless with both men nearly in tears. Mose was the heartbeat of Ford Engine Engineering. Much of my "knowledge" is direct from him.
   Rest in peace .
   Randy

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2021, 08:23:02 AM »
A story of how Mose Nowland helped keep Ford engines in Formula Ford! 
https://racer.com/2021/08/25/thank-you-mose-nowland-for-the-gift-to-formula-ford/
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2021, 09:13:49 AM »
   I worked with Mose on that engine ( 1600 formula Ford) as a secondary supplier. He was great to work with.