FE Power Forums > The Road to Drag Week 2016

The Road to Drag Week 2016 - Old School Style

<< < (3/19) > >>

cjshaker:

--- Quote from: jayb on August 07, 2016, 10:44:43 PM ---I like your idea of the replaceable bumper, and I think as far as a support extending back towards the trunk floor, I would make sure to put a plate under the support so force against the trunk floor is spread out over a wide area.  With your trailer being pretty light, I think that's going to work fine.

--- End quote ---

That is exactly what I had planned on, a plate that spread the load out. The 2 holes I mentioned were for the plate to bolt to the floor. I might include a light upper plate to sandwich the floor.

I was there that first year when you started developing problems with your hitch, at Columbus I think. I let you use a telescoping mirror I had, so you could see what was happening underneath. I'm still waiting on the check for tool rental. ;D

Pentroof:
Doug,
I don't quite understand the strategy with the trailer. How much weight did you actually save by cutting it down? A short tongue to axle length will make it less stable and actually could have a worse effect on the hitch with side loads as it corrects itself going down the road.

Is the plan to build a tall box to enclose the gear? You may find the sail effect creates more resistance than if you kept the original deck size and reduced the overall height.

Future refrerence for thought and others as well: Im not sute where you live, but in many parts of the country you can pick up an older aluminum snowmobile trailer very cheap, as the trend is moving more and more to enclosed units. They weigh almost nothing and most have torsion axles with externally greaseable hubs. The decks sit above the wheels, but could be narrowed and cut down to fit between them.

One of these years I'll have to join you guys on this Drag Week adventure. Good luck!

jayb:

--- Quote from: cjshaker on August 07, 2016, 11:55:04 PM ---
I was there that first year when you started developing problems with your hitch, at Columbus I think. I let you use a telescoping mirror I had, so you could see what was happening underneath. I'm still waiting on the check for tool rental. ;D

--- End quote ---

You may be waiting a while longer  ;D ;D

cjshaker:
The tongue to axle length has only been shortened by 1', which I think will have a negligible impact. The tongue is still long, which is the important part. I cut away about 120 pounds. The box will only extend up about 6" at the most; just enough room for the slicks and my tool box to fit. I've seen the aluminum snowmobile trailers; they're much bigger and heavier than this will be, more cumbersome, and not cheap. I have $250 in this right now (the purchase price), and since I already have most of the material to finish it, I estimate about another $100 to put into it. That's pretty cheap for a reliable trailer, I think.

Heo:
Woow 104 F inside the garage....we dont get 104
outside.... ever...Can i please rent your old barn
thats closer to the road.....Damed i can rent your
dragweek trailer and live in that after drag week
is ower ;D ;D ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version