Author Topic: Carb questions  (Read 1702 times)

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Carb questions
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2023, 10:57:43 AM »
My comment was not directed at you, someone said something else above.

Anyway, I always go back to stock settings and work from there.
With the exception of altitude, stock jetting is normally pretty close.
Only thing I ever do on early 3310s is do away with the secondary power valve. Most people get confused by it, so easier to leave out.

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2023, 08:06:23 AM »
Thanks again Drew, for confirming my suspicions. Seems like the best route.

And like I wrote folks, the question was intended more as a conversation starter, to encourage the sharing of experience.
I wasn't really seeking or expecting specific instruction.

Maybe I should have asked "What's the best way to get rid of the smell of stale gas and musty old car"
Or posted a YouTube video titled "Barn Find! First wash in over 20 years! Will it run?" 😁

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2023, 06:48:45 AM »

Only thing I ever do on early 3310s is do away with the secondary power valve. Most people get confused by it, so easier to leave out.

Agreed.  Secondary power valves in a vacuum secondary package always struck me as a bit of a "weirdity".  Some calibration engineer must have found one spot in the load/fuel curve mapping that was cured by adding that, and it stuck for a long time.  Like "under a 30% load going top a 7% grade on a cold day in third gear it wants less/more fuel right there".

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2023, 01:17:25 PM »
Fair enough, but if the sec. power valve is blocked, how much compensation in jetting is suggested? (Roughly)

Also, what's the consensus on secondary main jet extensions?
I always thought it might be a good idea on a hard accelerating car, but then there's a lot of "stuff" in marketing "upgrades" as always.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2023, 02:12:19 PM »
Fair enough, but if the sec. power valve is blocked, how much compensation in jetting is suggested? (Roughly)

Roughly six sizes up.

Also, what's the consensus on secondary main jet extensions?
I always thought it might be a good idea on a hard accelerating car, but then there's a lot of "stuff" in marketing "upgrades" as always.

Racing on slicks, they do have a purpose.  On the street and on street tires, they are not necessary, but they won't hurt anything if you do.  If you get the extensions, you also need the notched float to clear the extensions.

Mark Bliss

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2023, 06:06:37 PM »
Thanks Gerry.
I've heard the "six sizes" rule of thumb before. Probably a good starting point.
Not sure, might leave it in.

I always thought of the power valve in the secondary of a vac. sec. Holley a little differently than has been described, but am open to the idea of re-thinking it. Especially from folks who have possibly experimented and tested far more than I.

Entertaining theory only perhaps...
But if you were rolling along at a steady throttle state, say 3/4 for example. And the venturi vacuum combined with the secondary diaphragm spring were enough to allow the secondary to be open to some degree, it could be running on the primary and secondary main jet circuits but have enough vacuum signal for the power valves to be closed. Roll in more throttle opening, thus a vacuum drop and the power valves may open and provide enrichment on demand.

This built on a foundational ideology that a mechanical secondary attached to my foot may often result at times in a throttle opening that is a mismatch for engine demand, while a properly setup vacuum secondary operates more on engine demand.
This also combines with the recognition that for example- an engine dyno load doesn't necessarily accurately represent the loads and demands of real-world application.

Now i have to go back and evaluate- Is the power valve signal tapped form the same location for both pairs of venturi?

Forgive me, I have been living in a ECU controlled EFI world for too long now... This may be little more than throw-back cranial exercises.

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2023, 06:15:19 PM »
I always thought of the power valve in the secondary of a vac. sec. Holley a little differently than has been described, but am open to the idea of re-thinking it. Especially from folks who have possibly experimented and tested far more than I.

Entertaining theory only perhaps...
But if you were rolling along at a steady throttle state, say 3/4 for example. And the venturi vacuum combined with the secondary diaphragm spring were enough to allow the secondary to be open to some degree, it could be running on the primary and secondary main jet circuits but have enough vacuum signal for the power valves to be closed. Roll in more throttle opening, thus a vacuum drop and the power valves may open and provide enrichment on demand.

The theory on the secondary power valve is that it is supposed to smooth the transient throttle situations.  I guess the factory is looking for every bit of driveability improvement they can.  I have never seen a power valve in the secondary on an aftermarket carburetor.  Only factory carburetors.  It is a little less sophisticated to block the secondary power valve, but doing so removes a point of failure without having a meaningful effect on the fuel curve.