Author Topic: clutch flywheel  (Read 1843 times)

BigBlockFE

• View Profile
clutch flywheel
« on: October 22, 2015, 05:31:09 PM »
482 ford fe 600hp hydraulic roller street strip engine...   What flywheel would you recommend for aluminum or steel and twin disk clutch or single disk, Im thinking aluminum and twin disk, car weights 2300lbs??? thanks for any advice...

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
Re: clutch flywheel
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 05:58:57 PM »
It depends on how you want it to drive.

There are single disc clutches that would support that kind of horsepower, but they have the possibility of chattering.  The RAM Powergrip HD in an 11" Long would work perfectly fine, give you some "safety factor", and with a light car and a lower rear gear, it would probably be very streetable.  However, there's always a possibility that it could chatter....that's my disclaimer.

If you want something that drives like a Honda, then a twin disc, like a McLeod RXT would probably be a better choice.  The RST is not a good candidate for a vehicle that will be raced, so you'd have to pay a few hundred more and opt for the RXT.

The flywheel will be your personal choice.  IMO, I'd rather have the extra weight of a steel flywheel if you do a lot of light-to-light driving, or if you live in an area where you'd have to take off on a hill, or if your driveway is inclined, etc.  The aluminum flywheel will not have the rotating momentum that a steel wheel has, and you will find yourself slipping the clutch to get the car going.  I've used both in my own stuff and I prefer the steel.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports