Author Topic: Rear ride height change options on Fairlane  (Read 1707 times)

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
Rear ride height change options on Fairlane
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »
My 67 which is a street car currently has Calvert nine way adjustables for time at the track. Car sits lower than it used to with air shocks and I don’t like it. The Calvert split monos in the car had a 1” extra ride height built into them but it is not enough. I checked Allston’s coil overs but that would involve some welding to take advantage of their adjustable lower shock mount. Also considered air lift bags but don’t know if they would fit with 275s that are 7/16” from the leaf or if the air being let out for track is a problem.
I have no problem with the car being lower for track.
I want my cake and then to eat some too.

Thanks,
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Posi67

• View Profile
Re: Rear ride height change options on Fairlane
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 04:14:20 PM »
You can probably get Calvert to send you springs with another 1" of height. You'll just be changing the back 1/2 of the springs. Another fairly easy (and cheap) option is longer shackles. My car had the HD aftermarket ones when I bought the car. I shortened them so they didn't hang below the rear valence and had the springs re arched.

Fast forward to the recent century and I had my split Mono's done so I used the 2nd lowest holes. The new tires I recently bought came in considerably taller than advertised so last weekend at the track I had to pull the springs down into the bottom hole to keep the rear 1/4's off the tires. Picked the back up at least 1" which is more than I was expecting or wanted but no tire rub. I might make another set with slightly different hole spacing unless the rear settles a little bit.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »
Thanks Dale, when I ordered the split monos I went back and forth on getting the plus two”. Of course I wish I went for two” now. I did not realize it is only the back half that is different so that is an option but the additional one inch of height, ( if it works out that way), probably won’t make me happy. I’m a 70s child so the ass end has to be higher or the whole car has to be high, handling be damned. The front of my car is high due to AC coils and the usual aluminum parts plus a glass hood.  When I see old iron like our stuff slammed to the ground it doesn’t work for me. In the last century plenty of cars around here had shackle kits installed, lol.

JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Joe66GT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
I just went through this with my '66, exchanged the back halves of the springs (Calvert customer service was great!) but still wasn't happy with the ride height. I wound up making some bolt on rear spring mounts and kept the factory shackles. The lip of the wheel opening sits at 24 inches with 275/60-15 tires.  Joe

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 08:01:51 PM »
I spoke with Travis today at Calvert Racing. He can hook me up with some new rear spring sections that should raise the car an inch plus. Nice conversation with him.
I’m at less than 24” now with the 275s. Difficult  to measure accurately off the barn floor. I saw some one inch longer shackle assemblies made for Mustangs on the ‘net. Could augment new rear back sections with those.
Have any pics of the spring mounts you made?

Thanks,
JB
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:09:06 AM »
Be aware that trying to raise the rear with shackles gets you "2 for 1" - 2" more shackle returns 1" of ride height because the spring takes about half the adjustment.  And yep. most people don't realize that on a leaf spring the back half is the spring, the front half is just a locator.   

Joe66GT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 04:56:49 PM »
Here are some photos, I'm not sure if they're attached correctly. If not I'll email them to you.

If you do wind up going with shackles or different spring mounts be sure to check your pinion angle because it will change.