Author Topic: Strokers  (Read 2908 times)

Chrisss31

• View Profile
Strokers
« on: November 03, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »
Hi all, first post from a new guy here.  I have some questions about FE strokers, or I maybe I'm just curious.  I have always admired the 427 for what it is, big bore/short stroke.  I know the obvious benefit to stroking is more cubic inches, but are there any other benefits to increasing the stroke?  Is it more beneficial for making power than a nice set of CNC ported heads?  I've not tinkered with car engines much, but I know with bike motors adding stroke usually made a really torquey motor that wouldn't rev much.  I always liked short stroke motors with a long broad power curve, would this principal apply here?

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: Strokers
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2015, 09:37:58 PM »
Given the same number of cubic inches, a big bore, short stroke engine will rev better and make more power than a small bore, long stroke engine.  However, cubic inches trumps pretty much anything in HP/torque department.  So, if you go from a stock 3.78" stroke 427 to a 4.25" stroked 427, you will pick up 50+ cubic inches and the big motor will win every time.  It will make more power across the entire RPM band, and more torque, and will rev faster than the stock stroke 427 because of the increased power.  The reason the FE stroker kits are very popular is because they really don't have a downside, except for gas mileage.  And who cares about gas mileage?  ;D ;D
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 02:16:31 PM »
Amen, enjoy the gas prices while we can

Chrisss31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
The old "no replacement for displacement"!  Thanks for the explanation.

plovett

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 08:24:31 PM »
The old "no replacement for displacement"!  Thanks for the explanation.

Oh man, I hate that phrase.   People seemingly never compare a smaller, higher rpm, engine, with a lower gear, to a bigger lower rpm engine, with a higher gear, and otherwise ALL the same components.  They seem to always change some of the components and variables, but not all of them in unison.

I say if your engine builder's philosophy is a one sentence rhyme, you need an engine builder with a more complicated philosophy.  Then again, building big is easier and more forgiving of all the small mistakes made.

JMO,

paulie