Author Topic: Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang  (Read 14773 times)

dowds

• View Profile
Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »
Just wondering if I only need to pull all the junk of and replace with the manual idler arm any input would be appreciated.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Yes, do so. But I'd first check which steering box you have as it s/b 16:1 ratio as it is a P/S car.

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

I mention this since OEM manual cars were almost always a 19:1 ratio. Without power assist and especially with big rubber on the front rims, low speed maneuvering and parking WILL build up your arm muscles! If though the car could use a new box, then get a manual box and give your arms a breather! 
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
I just replaced the control valve with one of the adapters. Like Bob said, if you have meaty front tires it can get a bit cumbersome on tight turns, but I didn't find it unacceptable, just a little rough on tight turns. Although admittedly I have a higher tolerance for such things, I was considering a new manual box with my old BF Goodriches on 7" rims.

When I put the M/T skinnys on the front, effort was drastically reduced. I already had a new Flaming River power steering box, so I didn't want to drop the money for a manual unit. With the skinny tires it's not an issue at all to me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
I just replaced the control valve with one of the adapters.

I did that too.  Just used the adapter.  It was so long ago that I can't remember where I got it.  Mine is a '67 Cougar that had factory power steering.  So I have the faster ratio box, now with the manual steering.  I don't mind it at all, but I grew up with manual steering cars.  I have 205/70R15's on the front, so not super wide tires.

JMO,

paulie

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »
Same here, but 225/70R15s. Parallel parking and maneuvering in tight spaces is a work-out, but otherwise no issues.
Michael

dowds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the feed back, I have the manual steering box but not to worried about the workout on the arms as the car doesn't get used much anyway, less weight and junk on the car and less oil leaks and I just don't like how light the steering is. Has anyone got a picture or link to the correct idler arm?

Cheers

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Decades ago I came across a 70 Boss 302 for parts and took the entire rear & front suspension/steering off it in the sellers garage. It was a P/S car but regardless Boss 302's always got the 16:1 box. I believe standard manual steering Mustangs got a 20:1 box except for Boss's. Surprised me to see how close/interchangeable my S-code 67s was with all the Boss's components.  I picked up a Flaming River 16:1 box rather then go with rebuilding my old box and hearing of the inherent problems with rebuilding an old box.  Keep in mind your typical FE today w/alum intake, heads and even water pump will weigh about as much as a small block
       The link someone posted included an integral power steering box - surprising they can fit the guts inside not only the confines of the box but everything close up and around it -- there's not much room to spare:

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/19651970_Mustang_Power_Steering_Conversion_Box_Components-orderby_0-p-1-c-60.html

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »
I've had the Flaming River 16:1 manual box in the 68 for a long time.
I think the steering wheel choice helps also.

plovett

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
I've had the Flaming River 16:1 manual box in the 68 for a long time.
I think the steering wheel choice helps also.

Good point.  The steering wheel is basically another gear.   A larger diameter wheel is more leverage and a slower ratio (higher number)

paulie

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
I like the roller idler arms:

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/idlerarm/

I also use in the steering box with great success:

John Deere corn head grease AN102562

fe66comet

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
Go with a rack, lighter, easier steering and faster ratio. Plus you can go power and still be under 50 lbs.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Go with a rack, lighter, easier steering and faster ratio. Plus you can go power and still be under 50 lbs.
I doubt that. The 1/4 plate cradle weights 50 lbs. or more plus the rack.
Then you have header no go in.
The lightest and easy to steer is the manual box. The Flaming River is very smooth.
If you need power steering in a 68 Mustang you're a girl.

fe66comet

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
Whatever big kiss from the back lol.

dowds

• View Profile