Author Topic: Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang  (Read 14781 times)

dowds

• View Profile
Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang
« on: October 23, 2014, 07:54:08 AM »
Just wondering if I only need to pull all the junk of and replace with the manual idler arm any input would be appreciated.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of removing my power steering from my 68 mustang
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
Yes, do so. But I'd first check which steering box you have as it s/b 16:1 ratio as it is a P/S car.

http://www.stangerssite.com/steeringboxtagdecoder.html

I mention this since OEM manual cars were almost always a 19:1 ratio. Without power assist and especially with big rubber on the front rims, low speed maneuvering and parking WILL build up your arm muscles! If though the car could use a new box, then get a manual box and give your arms a breather! 
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
I just replaced the control valve with one of the adapters. Like Bob said, if you have meaty front tires it can get a bit cumbersome on tight turns, but I didn't find it unacceptable, just a little rough on tight turns. Although admittedly I have a higher tolerance for such things, I was considering a new manual box with my old BF Goodriches on 7" rims.

When I put the M/T skinnys on the front, effort was drastically reduced. I already had a new Flaming River power steering box, so I didn't want to drop the money for a manual unit. With the skinny tires it's not an issue at all to me.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

plovett

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 04:18:36 PM »
I just replaced the control valve with one of the adapters.

I did that too.  Just used the adapter.  It was so long ago that I can't remember where I got it.  Mine is a '67 Cougar that had factory power steering.  So I have the faster ratio box, now with the manual steering.  I don't mind it at all, but I grew up with manual steering cars.  I have 205/70R15's on the front, so not super wide tires.

JMO,

paulie

mlcraven

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »
Same here, but 225/70R15s. Parallel parking and maneuvering in tight spaces is a work-out, but otherwise no issues.
Michael

dowds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 06:14:21 PM »
Thanks for the feed back, I have the manual steering box but not to worried about the workout on the arms as the car doesn't get used much anyway, less weight and junk on the car and less oil leaks and I just don't like how light the steering is. Has anyone got a picture or link to the correct idler arm?

Cheers

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
Decades ago I came across a 70 Boss 302 for parts and took the entire rear & front suspension/steering off it in the sellers garage. It was a P/S car but regardless Boss 302's always got the 16:1 box. I believe standard manual steering Mustangs got a 20:1 box except for Boss's. Surprised me to see how close/interchangeable my S-code 67s was with all the Boss's components.  I picked up a Flaming River 16:1 box rather then go with rebuilding my old box and hearing of the inherent problems with rebuilding an old box.  Keep in mind your typical FE today w/alum intake, heads and even water pump will weigh about as much as a small block
       The link someone posted included an integral power steering box - surprising they can fit the guts inside not only the confines of the box but everything close up and around it -- there's not much room to spare:

http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalog/19651970_Mustang_Power_Steering_Conversion_Box_Components-orderby_0-p-1-c-60.html

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:42:21 AM »
I've had the Flaming River 16:1 manual box in the 68 for a long time.
I think the steering wheel choice helps also.

plovett

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 11:47:20 AM »
I've had the Flaming River 16:1 manual box in the 68 for a long time.
I think the steering wheel choice helps also.

Good point.  The steering wheel is basically another gear.   A larger diameter wheel is more leverage and a slower ratio (higher number)

paulie

rcodecj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
I like the roller idler arms:

http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com/idlerarm/

I also use in the steering box with great success:

John Deere corn head grease AN102562

fe66comet

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 05:14:56 PM »
Go with a rack, lighter, easier steering and faster ratio. Plus you can go power and still be under 50 lbs.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Go with a rack, lighter, easier steering and faster ratio. Plus you can go power and still be under 50 lbs.
I doubt that. The 1/4 plate cradle weights 50 lbs. or more plus the rack.
Then you have header no go in.
The lightest and easy to steer is the manual box. The Flaming River is very smooth.
If you need power steering in a 68 Mustang you're a girl.

fe66comet

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:48:44 PM »
Whatever big kiss from the back lol.

dowds

• View Profile

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
Yes that will work.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 09:58:41 AM »
That's what some of the guys were talking about earlier in the thread, and that is all you really need if you can live with the 16:1 box.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Yes, this is the adaptor we thought you were speaking about early on. Makes the change over a snap. Hit the gym though beforehand and work up those arm muscles! You'll thank me later  ;)
Bob Maag

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:39 AM »
Don't lose any of the power steering parts, hard to find the stuff these days.

I had to replace the stock steering wheel when I did these swap, the original started to crack and the rimblow feature sucked when muscling a manual steering box.

Keep your front wheel offset to zero, like a magnum, or even offset inboard if you can find wheels that clear. 

MeanGene

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »
My 69 Mach1 came with manual steering but the power box, but it never bothered me because I was used to it- was a little workout with 265/50's on the front and a 427, but OK. But anybody else that drove it cried like two MF's about the hard steering LOL

fe66comet

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
Loosing the stock box alone is heavy,plus the center link, two idler links, long tie rod ends and a ton of brackets and assorted hardware. That is why people go with a rack, the mounting brackets consists of two tabs that are welded to the cross member. The power steering units provide a faster ratio for quicker handling and variable boost rate further improving the handling of the vehicle. Header clearance is improved as you no longer have the 300 lbs of steering linkage  and steering box in your way. Kinda a no brainer for a upgrade over stock as the whole pile of rack and pinion parts take far less room and weigh in far less than 100 pounds.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
I totally agree with you Jon , I have manual steering on my 69 and after driving in my buddies car with coil over conversion and a power rack what difference , Carroll Shelby had unlimited funds and on all his later cars he used the total control products coil over front suspension and power or manual rack , He could have used any thing , but chose that and after driving a car set up that way i could see why ... Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..

machyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »
Ruined it for me. Or as Mark Martin used to say, "Ruint it for me". Either way, removed the ps and ran the manual adapter only. Ugh! Didn't even want to drive the car. Am retrofitting a Borgeson unit on my 68 Torino presently. Will post results when complete.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 05:33:33 AM »
Loosing the stock box alone is heavy,plus the center link, two idler links, long tie rod ends and a ton of brackets and assorted hardware. That is why people go with a rack, the mounting brackets consists of two tabs that are welded to the cross member. The power steering units provide a faster ratio for quicker handling and variable boost rate further improving the handling of the vehicle. Header clearance is improved as you no longer have the 300 lbs of steering linkage  and steering box in your way. Kinda a no brainer for a upgrade over stock as the whole pile of rack and pinion parts take far less room and weigh in far less than 100 pounds.
Now this just misinformation Jon.
Having owned a 68 Mustang Fastback for almost 30 years and have driven the car with manual steering as a daily driver.
There is no cross member to weld "tabs" to. The cross bar is a tube that is held in place by a bolt at each end.
It really has very little structural support and would never be able to support a rack and pinion.
Lets see a picture of this light weight system you speak of.
The whole manual steering system for a 68 Stang would weigh no more than 75lbs including the road dirt.
This just a F'in disaster for me than, my all manual 67 Fairlane  will need all kinds of crap put on it to drive it then.
Funny though I drove it around the Cabot Trial this year and It was the most fun I had driving a car in years.

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 09:31:32 AM »
Re: ScotiaFE: "There is no cross member to weld "tabs" to. The cross bar is a tube that is held in place by a bolt at each end"

Not disagreeing but the Two-Bolts that hold the cross bar on are "unique" in that they are tapered like lug-nuts. The loading on the bar is substantial under hard cornering and it's safe to say the bolts/arrangement  are about as stout as the bar itself is at resisting flexing. There is considerable strength added to the subframe by it. I have been amazed at how many 385 series engines dropped in 67-70 Mustangs don't include the cross-bar I know I've seen a half dozen including one of the online sites FordMuscle (I believe) that blew-up a FE and stuffed in a 385. The cross-bar a key part of the reinforcement/triangulation of the front end with Export Brace/Monte Carlo Bar is lost -and  the chassis flexes. I'd agree using the bar to support a rack is questionable in the least. They sell a beefed up reinforced lower cross member bar that reaches down to the lower control arm pivot bolts for more strength that is based on the Boss 302 Chassis Mods book.
I believe "living w/o Power Steering requires understanding the car rolling reduces the effort to turn big time. If the cars still it requires Mr Armstrong.

The cross bar is a tube that is held in place by a bolt at each end.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:22:22 AM by Qikbbstang »

fe66comet

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 10:09:31 AM »
You would have to have some knollege of welding and geometry to properly install a steering rack. The bolt in kits are designed for a person who does not have the knollege to install a mount or does not want to modify the chassis. The tabs I would mount to the engine cross member and gusset them accordingly. The best location is strait on to the spindle arms as possible so bump steer is limited. The tapered rod end hole can be resized to fit the larger mustang II tie rod or conversion ends are available. I have installed racks on a lot of vehicles both off road and race and they work quite well for wide tires and limited space. The aftermarket units are much stronger and lighter than the factory units and offer options that are not available in stock form. As far as installing the pump you will need to make a bracket to mount a GM variable ratio hydraulic pump to the engine, if you already have a bracket then you can get a Flaming River pump that will mount up.  Several race car parts companies like Competition Engineering offer mounting brackets in different lengths and angles to mount a rack. If so desired a section of box tube could be used to mount the rack but two tabs welded to a 3/16 angle bracket is more than enough. Another factor I forgot to mention is that your turning radius is reduced due to tighter steering angles, the rack has more travel than a steering box is capable of.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 10:23:14 AM by fe66comet »

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
Jon please dont take this as an argument but your statement of "the best place to mount the rack is strait inline with the steering arms" is not correct as far as Mustangs go packaging wise. The available kits all struggle with  varying degrees  of bump steer because the tie rod ends are too short ,the engine locations limits raising the rack and the oil pan limits locating the rack farther forward. On a drag race application all the above can be lived with. On the street with just a cruiser the available kits work ok , some feel "better" but with only two high dollar exceptions all the rack and pinion kits have worse bump steer tendencies than stock Mustang steering.

Currently the "best' (IMHO) steering solution for an early Mustang is stock linkage in near new,or new,condition and a Borgesen  or CPP (I think) power steering box and Saginaw pump.

Before I knew better I built a R&P set up for my 64 Comet , made a nice 2" square  cross member, mounted the R&P inline with the steering arms all strait and in line , just turning at moderate speeds would cause the front tires to squeal. Just the body role changed the toe enough to mess up the steering.
I consulted with a very kind local chassis builder and moved the rack to within 1/8" of the oil pan (up) and moved it as far foreword as the oil  pan sump would allow. I never measured the bump steer on that car but it was drivable for over 25,000 miles,but, it was still squirmy when topping rolling hills. It also went pigeon toed  when the front end was jacked up.       
Lance H

wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »
Didnt all true gt cars come with the 16.1 box with out power steering i have a 69 gt 428 mustang with no power and its not hard to turn.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
I drive a 63.5 Galaxie with good sized tires in the front and an all iron 429 hanging on the front end.  Manual steering, no problems.  I can't imagine a mustang would be much harder to wrestle around.
Only issue as mentioned is tight parking lots, but honestly, I park pretty far away just cuz it's my 63.5 Galaxie.....  so not really an issue.  You just need to get used to it, and the style, for example you don't pull ALL the way up at a stop sign, you pull up and stop short,  when it's good to go you can start coming ahead as you need to steer, makes a big difference the lil things.

I'm not familiar with Mustangs, but I prefer manual steering to that overzealous power assist my car came with.

jimeast

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2014, 07:59:01 AM »
The parts for the rack may be lighter, (I should weigh my OEM PS and MS kits as a baseline), but I don't think you get a faster ratio.  Looking at TCP, you have choices very similar if not identical to OEM manual steering ratios.

I think most people decide to get R&P based on the experience driving sloppy 40-50 yr old steering & suspension systems, or do not like the power assist (or over-assist) feeling the classic Mustang has.  One of the nicest steering cars I've driven is a 69 corvette with worm & sector steering.  I think R&P came into popularity with the OEM's because they offer better packaging in FWD cars.   Also, on the race track won't see a difference.  Don't get me wrong, I'd like to try out a TCP system in my car, but in the end, I'm not sure I'd notice much of a difference if I was switching from an OEM system that was properly set up.

bn69stang

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2014, 02:37:34 PM »
You could also consider electric steering , U S  AUTO PERFORMANCE ,  i believe mustang monthly did an article on it , no hoses to leak , pumps to leak , loose some weight .. check into it , i think its  1350.00 range .. Bud
69 mach 1 , 428 C J  Blue Oval Performance BBM heads -T@D rocker s- Blue thunder intake - Comp hydr roller - MSD ignition - FPA headers- Holley 850 hp double pumper - TKO 600 - 9 inch 3.89 Detroit Locker . ride tech coil over conversion - power rack @ pinoin steering - 13 inch drilled @ slotted 4 wheel disc brakes ..