Author Topic: Stroker first start up  (Read 3131 times)

oldtimmc

• View Profile
Stroker first start up
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
Hey all, thanks to the crappy winter we've been having here in the north east delivery of my Unique Cobra will be delayed way longer than anticipated. When I finally do get the car there will be a month or two of work to get it on the road. Here is my question; since the engine was built and the cam run in back in late November and probably only has an hour or two on it, when I get the car I was thinking about draining about three or four quarts of oil and over the time it takes to finish the car I want to drizzle oil, about a quart a week or so back into the engine via the roller rocker tips and down the outside of the push rods so the oil can soak the lifters and bores from oil running down the push rods. When I'm ready to fire it up It'll be the standard crank the engine with the coil wire off till there is pressure then put the wire back on and pray. By the way it is a Southern automotive 447 stroker. The engine will probably be sitting till late april or early may. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will also be in touch with Bill Parham but I would like as many opinions as I can get, RPM's first drive, etc. Ive been told by some not to take it too easy on it when I get it on the road because you should have strong cylinder pressures to seat the rings correctly but not beat the you know what out of it either.

Lenz

• View Profile
Re: Stroker first start up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »
If you want to go full protect, my advice is to pull the distributor, get the right extensions and socket and then run the oil pump with a 1/2 drill.  When hooked to the oil pump driveshaft you'll move oil through the whole engine via the normal route and refresh before cranking.  Drizzling won't fill a hydraulic lifter.  As far as break in goes, a steady approach between 1500 and 3500 rpm has never let me down.  Don't know what other members think...........
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-901011/overview/make/ford

Pouring oil on an engine doesn't get the oil where it needs to be.

oldtimmc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
Forgot to mention it's a solid lifter cam.

oldtimmc

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 07:36:19 PM »
I think that the turning the engine over without the coil wire primes the oil system with out removing the dizzy. At least that is what Mr. Parham suggested. My main concern was the amount of time that it will sit. the drizzle idea was just that a little oil is better than none up in the rocker rollers, valve stems etc. I'm just a bit paranoid of something going bad, just the way I am.

Bad Byrd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Personally

I would leave it alone, until it goes in the car, once you are ready to fire it up, slam all the oil that she needs to fill it and then crank it over without the coil! Been there and done that on many occasions. I run a mechanical gauge in the engine bay during this start-up procedure for the first 2 or 3 oil changes then I pull the mechanical gauge. This way you can see the oil pressure in the engine bay!

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2014, 08:14:08 PM »
I agree with Bad Byrd

If the cam has been run it, keep it clean and dry and ignore it.  Don't crank it over all you do is prime the pump and wet the ebarings, the cam is splash oiled from the crank and will be getting its butt kicked each time you do it.

Best to just sit and when you are ready, fire it and bring it up to temp and let the oil fly
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch