Author Topic: collapsed lifter?  (Read 2437 times)

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
collapsed lifter?
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »
I built a motor for my dad and it ran excellent when it left my shop.  he came back and I wanted to go over nuts and bolts of his hot rod.   so I am hearing a tapping noise it sound like in the valve train.  all the preload is correct on the valves.   it is a flat tappet hydro with brad penn break in oil and 100 miles most on the engine.   the tapping sounds like it is a lifter,  the truck also has 3 cylinders that are not as hot as the others.  I would say 80 degrees cooler (laser thermometer)  is it bad lifter? and or do I have a few bad lifters?  i have never experienced this before.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:25:44 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

shady

• View Profile
Re: collapsed lifter?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:39:30 AM »
don't overlook the fuel pump. sounds just like a loose lifter.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
Re: collapsed lifter?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 09:46:29 AM »
I dug into this thing yesterday and I should have posted this topic on the non fe forum my bad.  but my findings after I took the top off and looked in their.  the lifters all look really good except for one it had just a nick out of the edge which I don't know if it did it on its own or if I missed it on assembly.  that being said I also have found the rockers are tapping into the mounting stud,  so I had to buy a set of elongated slot rockers to solve this.  this was a surprise to me because when I ordered this cam and lifters it was all supposed to work with the factory rockers.  which is what comp cam told me. so i think that this combo is "borderline"  on using the factory stuff,  not a problem for me i just told my dad to blow the mold out of his wallet and now were gonna put in the good stuff.   my lesson from all this really does show me why i like building and tinkering on the fe.  it to me in my opinion was ahead of its time,  but like any motor they all have their pros and cons.   but i do know for sure now and have taken for granted all these years that the shaft mounted rockers are just far far superior to this stud mounted crap.