Author Topic: carb spacer  (Read 8940 times)

plovett

Re: carb spacer
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 06:21:13 PM »
You might try a cloverleaf spacer.......    ;)

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 06:24:46 PM »
You might try a cloverleaf spacer.......    ;)
what is a cloverleaf and who sells them
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

plovett

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 06:33:19 PM »
It's just a 4 hole spacer with the center cut out and radiused.  A person could make one out of a 4 hole pretty easily.

It's in-between a 4 hole spacer and an open spacer in terms of function. 

I'm a fan and I've tried all sorts of spacers, though I haven't done scientific testing.

I don't even remember where I bought the one I have, but here's a link to one.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/drt-62100002/overview/

paulie

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 06:38:21 PM »
thank you Paulie
1966 comet caliente 428 4 speed owned since 1983                                                 1973 f250 ranger xlt 360 4 speed papaw bought new

plovett

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 06:51:25 PM »
thank you Paulie

de nada, enchilada!

Another note.  The type of spacer you use can affect your optimum carburetor jetting.  In general, an open spacer presents less signal (or suction) to you carb.  So, in general, to optimize an open spacer the carb jetting should be slightly bigger, maybe 2-4 sizes?

A 4 hole spacer tends to increase signal to the carb.  So less jetting is usually required for optimum performance.

The "in-between" spacers like the super suckers (tapered) and clover leafs are generally "in between" in terms of optimal jetting. 

Just something to think about before deciding if a particular spacer is best for your combination.  You might try a jet change or two before making up your mind. 

JMO,

paulie

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 07:28:33 PM »
Talking about carb spacers. What spacer do you think
390 +.060 ,10-1comp, ported C4G heads, shorty
castiron headers, streetmaster intake,750 VS comp cams
282S
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 07:45:54 PM by Heo »

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

chris401

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 09:53:24 PM »
Talking about carb spacers. What spacer do you think
390 +.060 ,10-1comp, ported C4G heads, shorty
castiron headers, streetmaster intake,750 VS comp cams
282S
My 4800 lb F250 had a .060 over 390, Street Master, 3310-4 best liked 2 1/4" total 4 hole spacers with that cam. I changed to a  smaller carb and dual plane intake before I had it dialed in well. The lighter F100 the engine was originally for got away with my home made clover leaf with another 3/4" 4 hole on top of it. I do not know how good of a combination it was. Best to have it on a dyno or a few time slips to get it dialed in.

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2017, 10:17:46 PM »
would it require a change with the air fuel idle screws going from a open spacer to a 4 hole spacer
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:05:11 AM by fryedaddy »

chris401

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
would it require a change with the air fuel idle screws going from a open spacer to a 4 hole spacer
In that case yes. The carburetor was bran new. Spent the whole weekend running it and checking plugs and making changes. Had the help of a few car magazines, no internet then. Having wideband O2 sensors will cut the time and work to probably 1/3 or less.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2017, 02:31:25 PM »
Spacer type and height are all dependent on what intake and engine size you are dealing with.  A dual plane intake will not always respond the same to open vs four hole spacers or super sucker type intake, especially if the intake has a notch for the butterflies, or has been cut down.  I have helped test dozens of combinations on the dyno, and found that engine size changes the characteristics of how they work.  I have tried the super suckers up-side-down, in many configurations to try to find the absolute best combination, and again, the results changed with cubic inch and compression.   It comes down to actually trying several on your vehicle and picking the one that you feel works best.  Sometimes the best torque and horsepower will be found with three inches of spacers, two inches of spacer, or even no spacer.  The EMC this year for Traditional Muscle Big Block and Small Block can not use a spacer.    Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

chris401

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2017, 02:49:38 PM »
Spacer type and height are all dependent on what intake and engine size you are dealing with.  A dual plane intake will not always respond the same to open vs four hole spacers or super sucker type intake, especially if the intake has a notch for the butterflies, or has been cut down.  I have helped test dozens of combinations on the dyno, and found that engine size changes the characteristics of how they work.  I have tried the super suckers up-side-down, in many configurations to try to find the absolute best combination, and again, the results changed with cubic inch and compression.   It comes down to actually trying several on your vehicle and picking the one that you feel works best.  Sometimes the best torque and horsepower will be found with three inches of spacers, two inches of spacer, or even no spacer.  The EMC this year for Traditional Muscle Big Block and Small Block can not use a spacer.    Joe-JDC
My first Street Master was not modified and always had more middle range grunt on my small 3.5" and 3.78" stroke engines than the other two I had. Was the Edelbrock update aimed at the larger cube engines or was it just a coincidence?

fryedaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2017, 03:09:28 PM »
if your vac was low with a open spacer should it improve with a 4 hole compared to the open one.i bought a 1 inch 4 hole,1 inch clover leaf today,and i already have a 1 inch open spacer.when i get up in the morning i think i will see what works best.i might even put them all on at the same time!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 08:46:23 PM by fryedaddy »

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2017, 08:55:44 PM »
If you were to look at all the intake manifolds as cast, you would see a trend with runner size and cfm.  I have flowed nearly every FE intake as cast, and ported nearly all of them except the Cross Ram types.  The difference between a stock Streetmaster and RPM is significant in flow potential because the RPM runners are cast with a larger cross section.  A Streetmaster has a couple of runners that only flow in the 250 cfm range, and averages ~270 cfm.  The RPM averages 305-307 cfm on the ones I have flowed as cast.  The Victor 427 averages over 340 cfm as cast, with those tiny angled ports.  A HR single 4V averages ~365 cfm as cast.  Anyway, the Streetmaster can be ported to flow ~360 cfm and make well over 600hp on a stroker engine.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500