Author Topic: EFI on a FE  (Read 4498 times)

Pentroof

• View Profile
Re: EFI on a FE
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 11:14:43 AM »
Well,
I installed a Sniper on a 390 and can say it didn’t like it when I tried to go to a large cap on the distributor. Did not run nearly as clean and I can only suggest it was due to the proximity change of the terminals to the brain hanging on the front of the throttle body.

That motor has a Duraspark pickup with mechanicals locked and the Sniper controlling the timing. Rotor was phased at the reluctor. Spark comes from a Pertronix Digital HP CD box.

Holley does not recommend a magnetic pickup and has lots of customers complaining of EMI issues.

Worth noting I had the internal regulator go bad and I’m now running an external bypass regulator on the return. Also h@d the ECU go bad and h@d to send it to Holley for replacement. I’ll not buy another TBI unit. Lots of issues by others suggested by thermal problems as well. Get yourself a 1” insulating spacer!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 11:17:09 AM by Pentroof »
Jim

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 06:08:27 PM »
Paul, I do have my fuel line run in the typical fashion along the left frame rail and up in front of the engine as if I had a mechanical pump still plumbed in.  I never thought of it but, I like your idea of bringing it up the fire wall and also a return line with a HP pump and a regulator at the carb.  I understand about the constant circulation of cooler gas with that set up.  I like my Quick fuel carb and it's pretty much dialed in and the simpler the better for me.  Like you said "Since you will have to run a high pressure fuel system" if I ever decide to go EFI.  I'll swap out my std pressure pump for a HP pump and get a regulator + plumb a return line, I just want the whole thing to have nice clean install.

Jim, I do have a 1" thermal insulator under the carb
I've been reading and talking with guys.  Some say no problem but then I hear what you've described I talked to Holley pertaining to MSD Dist and MSD 6AL2  and they said no problem, but you're not the first person to tell me about EMI because of the proximity of the ECU in front right next to the Dist.. Wow, sounds like you are havein' no fun at all with your EFI. :(

Thank you guys for your input and knowledge. 

In the long run I'd rather stay with the my carb

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 09:52:18 PM »
Bill, it will be cheaper and you will have it running a lot sooner. Summer beckons. Here is a picture of my setup.

https://flic.kr/p/2gDWPL4

I can't remember how to cross post a picture. You'll have to jump to flickr.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:56:17 PM by Yellow Truck »
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2019, 08:16:27 AM »
Ranch, very nice install and truck!  Haven't seen a '58 Ranchero for awhile.   :D
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Ranch

• Retired Maintenance Machinist, Millwright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 01:48:55 PM »
No problem Paul.   Coming up the passenger side would avoid all that is going on on the other side, (stearing, clutch, master cylinder), make for a cleaner look too. Nice pics., it helps, thanks,  great looking truck,

Bruce, it's number 1,992 of 8,479 of the custom Rancheros, the year they made the least. I've owned it since 1971 and have never seen another '58' in person.  Seen plenty of '57's but their the ones people want being the first year. But I like the 4 headlights of the '58' and the Ranchero has the same tail lights as a 57 which I prefer over the std. 58's.  Just had her  Painted a couple a years back so I like to show it... Thanks for the comment.

Bill
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 07:37:57 PM by Ranch »

Yellow Truck

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 03:10:52 PM »
Bill, my truck is one of 465 4WD Flareside trucks made in '69, so I'm respectful of doing things that can't be un-done. To mount the fuel filter and the fuel regulator I used existing bolts coming through the firewall from the other side rather than drill any new holes.

After deciding to come through the frame rail (on the 4WD the rails is boxed) and coming out an existing square hole just big enough to take the fitting, everything was dictated by the bolts on the firewall.

To mount the filter I just took a short bit of angle aluminum and mounted a muffler clamp to it, and drilled it to sit over the bolts.
1969 F100 4WD (It ain't yellow anymore)
445 with BBM heads, Prison Break stroker kit, hydrualic roller cam, T&D rockers, Street Dominator Intake with QFT SS 830.

Paul.