Author Topic: Using factory FoMoCo 390GT/428CJ dipstick tube and dipstick w/headers what's  (Read 2579 times)

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
"cleanest" looking means to bolt/secure the dipstick tube to where it usually resides w/o ex-manifolds in place and of course w/headers?

Just jerry-rig it to header flange?

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
I just buy 3/8 Fuel line, make what I need, weld a sheet metal tab to it.
Grind/clean it up and paint it. 

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
Drew the little things FE I really like to keep original FE--- the use of a factory chromed dip-stick is mandatory and the FoMoCo dip stick tube itself is near as mandatory to me... I have one original dip-stick tube that shows to be actually plated with copper or something.
 I don't mind swapping factory pent roof VCs for the chromed 390GT/428CJ Powered by Ford VCs ... but the chromed dipsticks were actually unique parts of the 390GT/428CJ's

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Cool, so just put the manifolds back in place and you won't have any issues :P

Or buy a tubing bender and try to move your dipstick to where it needs to go

thatdarncat

• View Profile
What I did on my '67 Shelby that you saw on Drag Week last year is use a piece of 3/4" x 1/8" flat aluminum like you find at the hardware store. I bent it at a 90 degree angle and drilled a hole at the front to bolt to the lower hole on the front of the FE head. On the side I drilled and tapped a 1/4" hole and bolt the stock dipstick tube tab to that using a short 1/4" bolt. It's hard to see on the picture, but that bolt ends just past the aluminum strap. No nut is needed on the back side because the aluminum piece is threaded. This works for me since I only use the top & bottom bolts on the header and not the side by side bolts, so there is no header bolt there to interfere. If you wanted to put a header bolt in that front exhaust bolt hole I think the easiest solution would be to just use a stud there - put a nut on first to tighten the header - then another nut over the dipstick tube tab. Another option would be to just use the 427 dipstick tube that has the longer mount tab that goes to the front of the head and you could still use your chrome dipstick. Here's a picture of mine:

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V