Author Topic: Brakes - something of a "public service message"  (Read 5856 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Brakes - something of a "public service message"
« on: March 08, 2018, 07:36:36 PM »
I was looking at the front brakes on the Torino, since I had swapped to rear discs.  Figured I should at least inspect.  These are perhaps three years old - all new reproduction/replacement stuff from the spindle on out.  Limited street miles and maybe a couple dozen strip passes - no "hot laps" since I never go to the second round...

Take a look at the rotor - that crack at 11:00 o'clock starts in the center and goes all the way through and out to the edge - others are starting to show up as well.  No more Chinese replacement brake parts are gonna be used anymore.  Check your stuff - this could have been really bad at 130...

gdaddy01

• View Profile
Re: Brakes - something of a "public service message"
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 08:01:58 PM »
Thanks Barry , where can we find good brake parts anymore ?

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:16 PM »
Funny, but I had to replace the old OEM front rotors on my fairly high mileage Nissan Altima a few years ago and was surprised that the replacements were much more heavy duty and quite nice although they were Chinese parts! Maybe it's the luck of the draw or make/model type. Just sayin'....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:54:23 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

scott foxwell

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:31 PM »
Have you adjusted your front to rear bias since the rear disc install?

FElony

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2018, 09:37:24 PM »
No more Chinese replacement brake parts are gonna be used anymore.  Check your stuff - this could have been really bad at 130...

It would really help if you could at least tell us where you bought the rotors or brand or part number or something.

babybolt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 09:42:07 PM »
The picture that Barry has posted shows the original style assembly where the hub is a separate piece from the rotor.  Almost all of the new replacements are one piece (probably Chinese).  NPD sells a new two piece hub/rotor but is around $250 and you have to buy the whole assembly.   Centric might sell just the rotor for around $80, not sure about this, was just checking into it recently.  But I'd bet that the Centric are Chinese also.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:36 PM »
Chockostang has Raybestos at 100 a pair, and "unknown" at 225 a pair. I just sent off an email asking for a comparison, so lets see what happens.

Anyone here have any problems from cutting originals?

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
Most of the parts operations have stopped cutting rotors around here.

KS

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 11:34:48 PM »
Amazingly, here in the Chicagoland area and collar counties with millions of cars (no exaggeration) no shops will cut drums or rotors anymore. Some claim labor costs can't compete with cheap imports, others say liability insurance issues. But one old and now retired machinist hit it on the head in my mind. The near total lack of do-it-yourselfers resulted in hardly any cylinder head work of yore let alone engine boring, honing, etc.

Now brake/oil change/muffler shops in some cases still do limited brake machining but even here it's more cost-effective to buy new parts. In addition, he said a lack of qualified machinists, older fellows like himself, further hurt the old-school auto parts shops that were steadily replaced by big chains. 'Course we all know the big chain parts stores don't and never did offer said work and even older, long-established NAPA outlets here (many that used to be independent mom & pop owned) sold off the machinery and no longer cut brakes. Sad but true!
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 12:11:16 AM »
I'll back up Barry's "public service message". I do lots of brake jobs at work. I will hold on to the factory rotors as long as possible, even going as far as putting new pads on factory un-cut rotors, whether they have irregularities or not. The pads always wear into the rotors and don't cause me any issues. Reason being, ALL the aftermarket stuff I use (Napa, but pretty much standard for any auto parts supplier) will rust, crumble, heat score and generally fall apart after a couple years use. Granted, it's in Ohio where salt plays a role, but that is no excuse. Junk. Pure junk. And Barry's aren't even heat scored or rusted.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 05:48:07 AM »
We have one NAPA that still cuts rotors and a shop next door to my shop still cuts some. But the all push replacing them as cost cut measures. My 95 F 350 is on its second set of frts and I have replaced one rear drum. My Dodge diesel is on its second set of rotors and heading for its third due to warpage. The dodge has a real problem with death wobble when you hit the brakes at times , can`t figure it out and had it to the best truck alignment shop in the area. My 03 Bonneville Is getting new rotors again due to pad deterating, Fifth time. 

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 06:17:19 AM »
Those were purchased from NPD (I am positive that they just sell stuff from various suppliers and have no way to verify quality).  They are/were the more expensive and supposedly better parts.  At the time I was unwilling to make a conversion to aftermarket brakes at twice the cost - figured the weight savings was irrelevant on a 3700 pound car, and I was not going all that fast at the end of the 1/4.  Old stock replacement parts I removed got tossed (unfortunately), but they lasted decades and thousands of passes without this happening.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2018, 06:31:08 AM »
Barry, you might want to look into Baer Brakes as they have really good but but not cheap stuff.

I've had their front brakes for years (1993) now on my '70 Mach1 and they are great. 13.2" rotors, aluminum hub with a steel, not cast, rotor ring ala' what one oft sees on real racers. I swear that they hardly look used with 10,000 miles on them as the steel ring wears, well, better than iron! Bolted on my spindles in a snap w/o any spindle mods.

This kit has PBR 2-puck calipers, requires 16" or + wheels but they offer many more calipersizes and puck options as well. Some of their more std. kits I understand now have one piece rotors but they are still very high quality. Various rotor sizes are availble to fit smaller wheel combos.

http://baer.com/home.php

Those were purchased from NPD (I am positive that they just sell stuff from various suppliers and have no way to verify quality).  They are/were the more expensive and supposedly better parts.  At the time I was unwilling to make a conversion to aftermarket brakes at twice the cost - figured the weight savings was irrelevant on a 3700 pound car, and I was not going all that fast at the end of the 1/4.  Old stock replacement parts I removed got tossed (unfortunately), but they lasted decades and thousands of passes without this happening.
Bob Maag

wowens

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:06 AM »
That is scary, good eye to notice it.
Woody

scott foxwell

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2018, 09:08:00 AM »
The wear on that rotor almost looks like something else is awry. Wheel bearings, caliper chatter, something out of alignment... does not look like normal rotor wear, even for a cheap rotor. I'd keep digging.