Author Topic: Which intake to use on initial startup  (Read 3663 times)

FERoadster

• View Profile
Which intake to use on initial startup
« on: April 22, 2016, 10:16:25 AM »
I'm having a 427 CO assembled and have 2 intakes to choose from.
Streetmaster single plane or a F427 ?
 After break in and some driving I'm switching to an Edelbrock F68 6X2 intake.
Engine has a solid lifter Oregon cam, 427 LR heads, 428 crank and Arias forged pistons. Not too sure of the head chamber CC but they were opened up more than standard by Mondello in 1994 as  stamped on the intake face.
Will the single plane cause any issues?

Richard >>> FERoadster

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Which intake to use on initial startup
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:25:09 AM »
Whichever fits better, won't leak, and fits the carb you want to run better

Neither will cause any issues, the SM will likely make more power.  Some carb linkage can hit the F427 if I remember right (been 20 years since I had one, may not be true)

I'd go SM if both were equal condition
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 10:28:43 AM »
Will the single plane cause any issues?

Can't see how as the engine really doesn't know what's on top! LOL

Seriously no it won't in my book and what you're doing is wise since the chances of one carb screwing up your break in is a lot less than six of them. I'll also venture that 90%+ of all 'bad' break-ins are related to the ditzy being installed 180 degrees out or a badly out-of-whack carb and sometimes both! I've also advised many to use a know good carb that has recently been run successfully for any break-in. Heck, not even a brand new one is better!

If it's a known good carb with the bowls filled through the top carb vents it'll start up instantly....if you've got the timing right!     
Bob Maag

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 12:36:21 AM »
Looked at my Streetmaster and it's actually a Streetmaster 390 (patent date 1976)

Intake ports are only 1.75 tall and quite narrow. Is this the one Jay tested in his Comparo? His measurements say 1.825
I'll probably go with the F427 since the engine will be evaluated on a dyno. The ports on the F427 are 2.05 so they seem to line up with the LR heads a bit better.
I'd appreciate some clarification.

Richard

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 06:57:26 AM »
I think they only made one Streetmaster; mine says Streetmaster 390 also.  I don't know why your ports are shorter than the ones on my intake, but its probably not a big deal either way, if this is only a temporary installation. 

I'm sure either manifold would work for your intended purpose.  But the Streetmaster will make more power on the dyno than the F427.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:05:34 AM »
Went with the Streetmaster.
Took all the parts to a very experienced builder about 150 miles from me. He agreed with the SM
Distributor is a Rebuilt old Mallory dual point. All parts are new and upgrading to a ATI balancer.
Pictures in July when it's broken in and at the dyno. I'm in no rush the car is a 2016-17 project.
A picture of the "hole"  it's going into. 23" wide and 36" deep not including the tunnel

Take a guess which car. Certainly not a shock tower car.
 Just not Jay or Tom P.

Richard >>> FERoadster

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:07:21 AM by FERoadster »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
FWIW - my main concern here with a new motor is putting a known good carb on top for the initial fireup(s).  I'll take one off one of the other cars if necessary.  Most often, I'll run the carb I intend to use on one of the other cars and make sure it's set the way I want and there are no issues.  If I'm planning on a tunnel ram on a new motor I'll start with a single carb intake combination just to make sure the mechanicals are right.  Easier to deal with one issue at a time.

FERoadster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 10:59:43 AM »
Yes the friend doing the assembly has a number of carbs he rebuilt carbs and said he'll be using a 715CFM Holley.
Richard