Author Topic: We lost a fast FE man today  (Read 2920 times)

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

We lost a fast FE man today
« on: September 12, 2015, 12:41:38 AM »
I have been busy building race cars and engines so thanks for the calls and emails. I will post here when time allows  and really enjoy the great work you guys do. And Jay, you are the class of the field.

Guys, this is a drag to report. I am here to say this, if you are alive and well, and have a hot rod, enjoy it. If you are waiting to build that dream car, do it sooner than later. Life can be so short...    And enjoy your friends and loved ones and passions sooner than later because you do not always know when or where the pass ends, and the chutes deploy.

An awesome black Fairlane is running around and we discussed it a bit for you last Summer. This fast FE ran 8.7 and had more in it, and was quietly testing to try to do well at the original Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion this Fall.  The car is a really a bitchin' Ford....and driven by a
a Bitchin' guy....

I had the pleasure of standing behind it as she debuted and also getting a call to be there on a winning day not so long ago....    This car won Irwindale and the Moon Eyes match a few summers back.

Last night, Dennis King and pal 'SOHC Hemi AFX LK', talked about an hour about the next race, the plan, the car, the past, the future, the good things, and the fun. He sounded just fine.

And I just got a call, and this is really messed up and sad ....man, the poor guy went to heaven in his sleep. Only 66 , slender, fit, and in good health,his friends are shocked and sad.

Only 66.....and he had none of the bad habits that can get ya young..   Full of energy and he looked young for his years.

That is way way too young.

My guys, the shop, our team, and our gang tip our hat to a kind, fast, fun, hardworking, honorable and good man. A fine father, a fine son, and a life long FORD man

I remember him coming up to Ford racing in about 1971 or so, and he knew my bosses too. He was a real good guy.

God rest your soul Dennis

He was so cool, and I am not sure if he would even want me to do a note, but this hurts, and is a drag, so Dennis, if you can hear us, man, we are going to miss you and always keep your memory alive

We are so sorry, and regret losing you a lot.

He was close to old Ed Isky too, so I am going to call Ed and he will be shocked and sad too

All I can say is this, get out there and do it while you can, none of us knows the day, or the time....and when called, we must go

Carpe Diem gentleman, seize the day, every day.

Smoke "em hard for Henry we always said, and, smoke 'em hard for Dennis too, FE style....

I bet Dyno and him are laughing right now...in that big Drag Strip in the sky...

Hope so............

Sad news

We lost another cool cat.       And his FE exceeded a 1,000 HP

Be well
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 01:53:07 AM by HolmanMoodyStroppeGang »

LuxurySportCoupe

• View Profile
Re: We lost a fast FE man today
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 09:18:07 PM »
Prayers go out for his family and friends.

1964 Galaxie 390 cruise-o-matic. 445 and C6 coming soon.

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
Thanks for the kind emails and thatnks for the prayers Ford man. That is a gorgeous Galaxie and real nice burnout.

And thanks JAY for allowing this post and for your friendship. We are all pulling for you to win , You certainly worked hard for every pony and we dig that big time.

HMS AFX racer 'Stampede' Larry Knapp called to relay this info for our fast Ford pal Dennis .

Any pal, new or old is welcome and it would be real nice to meet any new friends of the guys

Viewing and gathering of friends and racers will be informal, casual dress is fine.  Service is

this Sunday 9/20 at Forest Lawn, Glendale,CA, by Universal Studios in Southern California.

To ne held on the grounds at the 'Church of the little flowers'. Viewing from 6PM -9PM. Knapp and pals will be pawl bearers . Some fast old guys are planning to be there we hear.

Funeral service the following day, Monday 9/21, on the grounds, follow the signs, 1PM-230PM

again, casual is fine, dress casual is optional but jeans ,shorts,t shirts, fine

Hang out to follow and Hot Rods or any fast cars are very welcome at the service.

Around CA we often rumble in some stout stuff for a lost fast friend . Sometimes we even drive their race car to the service. So rumble in uncorked if you like. And smoke them when you split maybe

Sad Deal

RIP Fast Dennis

I think if you go to Forest Lawn's website there is a internet condolence book.

Thanks to the 196 FORD guys and gals who viewed this

Good luck JAY

2 really cool Ford engineers have been calling me lately and there may be a cool deal happening some day which ties in to the string of wins by the old HMS and Stroppe and Associates teams.  Fingers crossed.

Kindest Regards to all

3 days of Nitro and a big FORD event this weekend, see you at the starting line

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 03:55:12 PM »
RIP Dennis, you will be missed.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

HolmanMoodyStroppeGang

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:42 PM »
Dear Jay

Thank you quite respectfully for your kind words and well wishes. I will make sure to pass it along and have told his best friend by phone today.  This means a lot and is very' racer ' of you.

Both of you spent many years pushing a normally aspirated FE to around 1,000 HP on gas and in a small club of very serious FE men. We all love it , our circle of friends across America. Nice work !.

I was working on a a handful of nitro cars this weekend, and the event was All Ford for the door cars. A bunch of real nice Ford guys said hi and it was real nice, so I asked them how you did, and a big group of good old boys from Bakersfield and points North were all stoked about your big win and eager to show me their I phone links to your cool Hot Rod

Awesome awesome awesome work my friend ! 

Dennis also just dug your work like my gang does, dug it with a shovel dug it

So high praise to you and your gang of fast FE friends, and thanks to all who remember Dennis and this gang as decent guys just trying to do good work and have fun

May we all live,love, grow, prosper and know joy

Thanks again Jay, quite respectfully

And, well,,,,,,we won

And, I got a call, I guess I am getting the last surviving original GT40 289 test series 4 Weber intake that goes with my Dyno sheets from that time

My plan it to see it, and the documentation go on the right GT40

Thanks guys

Oh,,,There was a very fast  FORD NOS parts 427 gas dragster at Fomoso, really inspiring. FASt and True Ford,,,,Detroit muscle in the 7s yawning,,easy peezy big block gas dragster with a 2 speed and injection.....magneto, old school cam and compression !!    And Ford rockers...and a Ford hex drive on the oil pump...and no 'oil mods'.

Thanks