Author Topic: Ford vs Ferrari  (Read 10026 times)

FEfun

• View Profile
Ford vs Ferrari
« on: November 15, 2019, 10:59:22 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhBesrEN18w

Here is my little piece of Shelby racing history.

badcatt

• View Profile
Re: Ford vs Ferrari
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 08:35:27 PM »
I went and say the movie today. I really enjoyed it. While it's a little long looking athe run time, it goes by fast. The racing scenes were good and for the most part done well. I plan to go see it again and then when it comes out on disc I will get a copy for my collection.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:45:56 AM »
I saw it tonight, and was really impressed.  Great racing scenes, the best since Gran Prix many years ago.  Worth the price of admission, that's for sure...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 09:15:42 AM »
Jay, what would your thoughts have been when you saw the 427 shaking like crazy on the dyno?!  I was wondering if it was going to jump off!  ;D  Kidding aside, I loved the movie too; lots of the historical characters and cars with a story of family and friendship woven around it. 
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

plovett

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 09:56:00 AM »
I am going to see it today.  I hope it is as good as Grand Prix and Lemans.

paulie

427LX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:21 AM »
I plan on seeing it today and hope it's as good as you folks say. I remember seeing LeMans with Steve McQueen back in '71 I think it was and that was really great for the times.
40 degrees out today and won't get to wake up my beast for a drive after the movie :(

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2019, 10:53:35 AM »
Good movie.
Fun to watch as a movie, and fun to watch as a "car guy".
Its easy to critique the nuances of automotive stuff in there, but it was much better than most for certain

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2019, 02:36:30 PM »
I plan on seeing it today and hope it's as good as you folks say. I remember seeing LeMans with Steve McQueen back in '71 I think it was and that was really great for the times.
40 degrees out today and won't get to wake up my beast for a drive after the movie :(

20 deg here i dont se it as a problem ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHH-LxbMTrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rpsq4aTkl8

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

plovett

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 07:41:38 PM »
It was a really good movie.  Some silly things, but still very good.  Like halfway down the Mulsanne straight, THEN they put the throttle all the way down.  LOL!  The Henry Ford II crying scene wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  He was more like crying with joy.

They just touched on Carol Shelby being a jackass.  In real life, he was a big one from what I've read.  In the movie he was pretty likeable. 

Overall, a VERY cool movie.

JMO,

paulie

Leny Mason

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »
I thought it was great,We got a group of 16 Ford fanatics to see it, I have only seen one GT 40 of that vintage in real life they sound so good, well done as far as I see it Leny Mason.

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 08:28:42 AM »
I thought it was great, but I don't know enough about the history to determine fact or fiction on some of the stuff, like the bit with the lug nut. That was hilarious. I was like a junkie getting a fix watching and hearing the cars. .
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 09:07:36 PM »
Here's a bit of a story for you.

In the mid-sixties, I was working at Ford and going to a downtown school to take a few classes. (The school is now absorbed into Wayne State University, Detroit's downtown University.) I had some time in the afternoon, and walked from school to Cobo Hall, where what is now the North American International Auto Show was in process of starting up.

Just as I got to the front doors, an eighteen-wheeler pulled into the semicircular drive. It was painted and graphic-ed with SHELBY all over it. It stopped, and a small crew in Shelby uniforms opened the back doors and started unloading the cars. One was a full competition Cobra. It, along with the others were hand-rolled onto the pavement. Very soon Shelby and a TV crew came out, and standing on the other side of the line of cars, in the middle of the drive, started into a 'stand-up' interview. The 'talking head' asked if one of the cars could be started, and one of the Shelby crew members opened the hood of the Cobra, and then got it, gave the throttle a couple of healthy hits and cranked it over.

When the 427 MR fired, it spit back through the Holley and set itself on fire. I was standing on the curb right in line with the engine, and since it was, at that time, the NAIAS was held in the cold of January, (or maybe February) I was wearing gloves. I took one step and put my hands over the the top of the carb and snuffed it out. It didn't even harm the gloves.

The 'stand-up' finished within two or three minutes and the crowd began to disperse. Shelby came over to me and thanked me, and then asked me if I wanted to go for a short ride. Cobo Hall is right on the Detroit River Waterfront and there's a drive alongside it that goes down and to the back where there's underground parking. There's also several freight elevators that were used to lift the cars onto the display floor.

We made that 2-3 minute trip into the garage and then up into the Hall. Shelby gave me a souvenir Cobra pin and he autographed a copy of the just-out book 'The Cobra Story' and gave that to me as well.

His well-known antics make it clear that he was more than a bit of an A**hole in many ways, but he treated me very well on that cold afternoon.

KS

Answer for below---The trip was very short and I don't think Shelby got all the way through the gears before we were in the garage. Acceleration was just what you'd expect from a 427 Competition Cobra. ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 08:52:32 PM by cammerfe »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 09:35:27 PM »
Now that is cool!!!!. Well how was the ride?

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 11:15:28 PM »
That’s s great story.
John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

JERICOGTX

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 07:12:12 AM »
Saw it, and really liked it. Is it perfect? Nope. Entertaining? Yes. I've never really paid much attention to the LeMans story, or cared, but it has made me read up on the subject, and just maybe, this movie will do the same for others?

BruceS

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 08:48:24 AM »
Agree with Jerico.  Go and be entertained by the sound of 427s with bundle-of-snakes headers and Ferrari V12s!  What's not to like?   ;D
66 Fairlane 500, 347-4V SB stroker, C4
63 Galaxie 500 fastback, 482 SO 4V, Cruise-O-Matic

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
Good show, had a lot of fun watching.  Even my wife liked it.  She hated the end and fumed about "Ken" for not wearing a fire suit at the end.  Wife and a racer, you'd expect that. 

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 10:07:49 PM »
I liked it. A few inaccuracies like the shifting when already at top speed and the Daytona Coupe with 17 or 18" wheels on the car carrier and the stubby red #2 "Mk IV".... but very few.

It was a lot more authentic seeming than i'd have imagined. They depicted the Venice and LAX shops well. The racing scenes were good and the backgrounds at LeMans and "Riverside" were good. I hope it continues to do well at the box office.

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2019, 02:50:02 PM »

Default Re: FORD vs FERRARI
My wife took me to see it, last night, for my 75th Bday.

Overall, I liked the movie but, the driving scenes, are down right "Hokey"!!

Examples:
1. Ken passing on the outside, in the dirt, on Willow springs straightaway. I've raced there, many times and that maneuver, would have at least spun him but, more likely, sent him rolling, into the pits. He would have been driving on sand, with LOTS of rocks.

2. Looking at the other drivers, while doing 200+ MPH. You Do Not look at other drivers, when your racing!!!! You only use peripheral vision, even at 80 mph or less.

3. You don't put your brakes on, when cornering, especially at high speed, you trail brake, going into a corner, nothing after that nor, shift at 200+ and take off, like a rocket.

4. Even then, they wore seat belts and were strapped in at pit stops!

I don't really think they did much testing of the GT40 at Willow, the front straight is fairly short and the back straight, too. I believe most, if not all the testing was at Riverside Raceway, on the "long" track (there were 3 configurations), configuration. It's the only road track, that has a long enough straight, to let the GT40, unwind. They couldn't have used OMS (Ontario Motor Speedway), as it wasn't built, until 1968.

I was impressed with Matt Damons role (didn't think I would be), His stature leaves a lot to be desired but, a lot of shots were from lower levels, looking up, to make him seem taller. I didn't know Carol or Ken but, saw many interviews of Carol and a couple, with Ken. In those days, I lived and breathed road racing, especially, anything involving Ford.

They didn't try to show Kens death, in the "J" car, nor it happening on the Riverside, straightaway. They could have mocked up a car to look like it. Although the J car was good in the wind tunnel, the J car had aero problems, right from the start on the track and they changed the body work, to what would become the MK IV, to cure it.

Between '73 and '79, I raced at Willow Springs, Riverside and OMS so, I know the tracks well. My first SCCA drivers school was at Willow, in '73.

I know nothing about the exec's, they portrayed Iocca well but, if Bebee wasn't like that, it was a injustice to him and his family.

This is the "J" car.
Frank

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2019, 05:23:56 PM »
According to a column in the Philadelphia Inquirer, Leo Beebe was not as portrayed in the movie. People who knew him well are definitely upset at the "movie" portrayal. There was an interview of Shelby about 2001-2 and Caroll takes credit and the blame for the three cars ending, saying that he convinced Beebe to end the race with the three cars together.

bigbadblue

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
 Yes, great movie. I did giggle, as said, I don't ever remember looking over at another driver. Christian Bale was fantastic, you really got to like his character. I liked Henry Ford ll as played. I think attendance  is down because people think it is just a car movie, to bad, their loss.
 Bale lost 70 lbs. to play his part from his last movie. I have a tough time losing 5.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 10:05:38 AM »

Default Re: FORD vs FERRARI
My wife took me to see it, last night, for my 75th Bday.

Overall, I liked the movie but, the driving scenes, are down right "Hokey"!!

Examples:
1. Ken passing on the outside, in the dirt, on Willow springs straightaway. I've raced there, many times and that maneuver, would have at least spun him but, more likely, sent him rolling, into the pits. He would have been driving on sand, with LOTS of rocks.

2. Looking at the other drivers, while doing 200+ MPH. You Do Not look at other drivers, when your racing!!!! You only use peripheral vision, even at 80 mph or less.

3. You don't put your brakes on, when cornering, especially at high speed, you trail brake, going into a corner, nothing after that nor, shift at 200+ and take off, like a rocket.

I don't really think they did much testing of the GT40 at Willow, the front straight is fairly short and the back straight, too. I believe most, if not all the testing was at Riverside Raceway, on the "long" track (there were 3 configurations), configuration. It's the only road track, that has a long enough straight, to let the GT40, unwind. They couldn't have used OMS (Ontario Motor Speedway), as it wasn't built, until 1968.

I was impressed with Matt Damons role (didn't think I would be), His stature leaves a lot to be desired but, a lot of shots were from lower levels, looking up, to make him seem taller. I didn't know Carol or Ken but, saw many interviews of Carol and a couple, with Ken. In those days, I lived and breathed road racing, especially, anything involving Ford.

They didn't try to show Kens death, in the "J" car, nor it happening on the Riverside, straightaway. They could have mocked up a car to look like it. Although the J car was good in the wind tunnel, the J car had aero problems, right from the start on the track and they changed the body work, to what would become the MK IV, to cure it.

Between '73 and '79, I raced at Willow Springs, Riverside and OMS so, I know the tracks well. My first SCCA drivers school was at Willow, in '73.

I know nothing about the exec's, they portrayed Iocca well but, if Bebee wasn't like that, it was a injustice to him and his family.

This is the "J" car.

Agree with your review yet as with all car movies, they often bend the truth and even the sites/visuals. Still, it was not a hokey movie at all even if Beebe was mis-portrayed. It was also great see that the old guy-gets-the-girl ending wasn't present!

I also remember back then the big hoo-haw here about Miles losing the race (most blamed the French FIA group) yet Shelby did take the heat as it was his idea. The writers did early on note the "Rule Book" with the trunk deal yet it became evident why that was crucial to Miles' loss. Shelby admitted afterwards even he didn't know the rules vis'-a-vis' the starting grid position, hence the loss.

I did also find odd that they didn't at least mock-up the rear engine cover of the infamous J-Car for those scenes as it would have been easy and more indicative of the bread-box shape of the car. They did spend some serious $$$ on the moves so this would have been a one-off no brainer.   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 10:59:37 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 12:10:07 PM »
Bob,
I wasn't saying the whole movie was "Hokey" just the driving scenes. It was worth it just to see the race cars and the period street cars. 
Frank

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
Bob,
I wasn't saying the whole movie was "Hokey" just the driving scenes. It was worth it just to see the race cars and the period street cars.

All Hollywood race driving is a bit "hokey".  However, the Grade A #1 level of hokey goes to the FnF series of movies.  Now you owe me a 10 second car... :lol:

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 02:26:26 PM »

There's a very good 90 minute documentary on Netflix called The 24 Hour War (directed by Nate Adams and Adam Carolla, 2 big time car guys), all about how the rivalry came to be and how Ford won the LeMans for several years. The interviewees are Dan Gurney, A.J. Foyt, Mario Andretti and others who actually raced the cars, and they pretty much all said that they did NOT buckle up during the race. It's pretty evident at the start of the race that nobody buckled up before taking off. According to the drivers in the documentary, Fords policy was to buckle up BEFORE taking off, but the drivers didn't listen. Mario said that they would try to buckle up on the Mulsanne Straight, but that it wasn't always possible. I'd tend to believe the guys who were actually there, rather than speculation by somebody who wasn't, 53 years after the fact.

I highly recommend to everyone here, watching the documentary if you have Netflix. It includes people like the drivers mentioned above, Carroll Shelby, John Holmans son, Henry Ford III, and a host of other people directly involved with the LeMans racing teams that Ford had back then. It also tells the story from Ferrari's side, from the people who actually were there and raced and worked on the cars. Overall, an extremely good show that I enjoyed thoroughly.

I plan on seeing Ford VS Ferrari this Saturday. The first time I've felt the need to spend the big bucks to go to a theater in probably 20+ years.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:29:15 PM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 02:34:08 PM »
Bob,

Oh, I understood that!
Bob Maag

frnkeore

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 03:22:57 PM »
Doug,
Note, I didn't say the start of the race, I said pit stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJztRHjtwHw

Check this out at 2:40 and tell me what he is doing.

Added:
Sorry, I had a call and had to leave real quick.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 06:53:16 PM by frnkeore »
Frank

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 07:27:42 PM »
...I think attendance  is down because people think it is just a car movie, to bad, their loss...

Actually, Ford v Ferrari was the #1 domestic movie it’s opening week, let’s hope it keeps up, although I’m guessing Frozen 2 will take #1 this coming week.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 09:48:54 PM »
In regard to 'buckling-up', and from the viewpoint of today and ECTA Land Speed Racing, I need help to get everything in place and pulled tight enough to pass the last-minute look-over by the starter. My good friend and crew chief, Tom Caimotto helps me get everything right before I head for the starting line. (We use arm tethers to keep elbows from flapping in the event of a mishap, so, in effect, I only have half an arm's-length on each side to work with.)

KS

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 11:22:27 PM »
I’ve now seen it twice. First with my friend ,had to check out the content before taking my 10yo grandson today. Grandson liked it,and liked the back story I filled in. Picked up on Miles lack of fire suite as soon as he got in the car.
He likes the idea that grandpa has the same type engine in his Mustang as the GT40. Lol.

Anybody notice the Chubbie LS heads on Miles’ work bench?
Lance H

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2019, 11:16:12 AM »
Yes I did see the LS head...   I got a kick out of that... I was wondering if anyone noticed.. None of the car guys with me did. I thought Damon did a good job on Shelby. 
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

plovett

« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2019, 05:17:11 PM »
I didn't notice the LS head.  That is funny.  :)

paulie

oldiron.fe

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
2x cpt.cj dont miss netflix shelby american(title) original pics/interviews gurney,andretti, hm, shelby, many builders craftsmen mechanics ford special ops. remember shelbys great driving skills in the 50s  not only gt-40s the cobra daytonas winning the gt class and 350r beating corveets and ecoboost winning i think in 2006
66' Fairlanes 427 (08/26/67- present)
66/67' Fairlanes
70' Mustang Fastback
66' Dually

428 GALAXIE

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2019, 03:23:39 AM »
Went to see this last Saturday all and all good movie not much goofy stuff.
Am I all alone saying the engine sounds were lame and wrong. Generic muffled V8 not straight pipe 427?
I was watching MotoGP race at Valencia about week ago that may have some influence seemingly lame sounds.
Mikko

plovett

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
I also thought the engine sounds were not great.  At least you could tell a Ferrari V12 from an American V8?  I think?  I have to go back and listen again.

paulie

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2019, 10:49:52 PM »
Keep in mind that a GT40 with a 'bundle-of-snakes' exhaust is a true 180 firing out the pipes. It sounds quite unlike a regular 427. It's a much higher tone than the bellow you get from a regular performance FE engine. ;)

KS

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2019, 09:09:17 PM »
Saw the movie tonight with the kids and thought that it was a great movie. And they liked it also. The camshaft that was in the motor could it turn 75-7800 rpms.? Ken Miles must have been a pissa to hang out with. And the whole Beebe thing would really suck if he wasn’t really like the movie portrayed him, because he was an attention hungry wanna be important  douchbag in the movie. And they really screwed Ken in the end. It would have been nice if he got to go back again and finish what he started.

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2019, 10:40:19 PM »
Took my oldest to see it with me today . She is 7, was really surprised that the language wasn't that bad and I didn't have to cover her eyes any. I think she would have been far happier watching frozen2 , but she stuck it out. I told her one day she would think back on it and maybe it would mean something to her. All in all good movie, I liked it almost as much as the time I got to spend with her!

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2019, 06:10:32 PM »
Second week and Ford v Ferrari was still the number 2 movie in the US. It even beat Tom Hanks and the opening week of Mr. Rogers. Hopefully people get a chance to see it on a big theater screen.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2019, 12:06:56 AM »
My wife and went and saw this movie today, and we both really liked it, a lot. In true Hollywood style, "artistic freedom" was certainly obvious, like the previously mentioned cruising at 200 MPH at light throttle, only to step on the gas pedal a few inches and make another gear change. Musta had one of those car movie 75 speed manual transmissions! And did anybody else notice how clunky and clanging the shifter was? But overall, thought it was a great movie. If you want a real laugh, you should check out the movie review from the "Grist", which appears to be a hand wringing, tree hugger site. I stumbled upon Grist while Googling the movie, seems they were all aflutter about the waste of fossil fuels, the glorification of the evil internal combustion engine, and the damage done to the planet by a bunch of horrible white males. Good for a laugh.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »
The movie was entertaining if not overly accurate in historical details. IMO if one is interested in the facts, then a must read is 'Ford the Dust and the Glory' by Leo Levine. Henry Ford II was really a fairly quite spoken individual, as I remember from a couple stock holders meetings and watching him on TV interviews. Leo Beebe was painted wrong in the movie. Beebe was in the Navy with Henry II and was very much a trusted individual who pulled no punches. People who personally knew Beebe say he was nothing like the character in the movie. Actually if you read the history, Don Frey should receive a whole lot more credit, than he received in the movie, even Shelby felt Don Frey was the 'key' the person who made things happen. If you're interested check out Jay Leno's garage and the episode of Enzo's gift to Henry II of a Ferrari Barchetta in 1952.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2019, 12:41:26 PM »
   The Shelby American Automobile club had an interview with Leo Beebe 15 or so years ago. He fully admitted he had never seen an automobile race in person when he was given the position. He was a quick learner! It was Beebe that saw Ford was going the wrong way with the program and changed focus to RUNNING and the end of 24 hours instead of being the fastest until they broke. Beebe was smart enough and respectful enough to see the talented people on the program like Don Frey , Miles , Remington , and the others that made it happen.
    In true Hollywood fashion , there has to be a bad guy so there is drama. Things like Enzo being there ( NEVER happened) and other concessions like LS powered replicas filming mostly at our local Willow Springs raceway both forward and backward directions and modern cars
 in the background are all concessions we have to accept.
     I haven't seen it yet but will with an open mind.
        Randy

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2019, 03:30:36 PM »
Rabbit versus not quite tortoise racing!

Although Ford didn't invent the idea, the concept in practice, with multi-car teams at least, was to send out one car with driver instructions to go all out, while the #2 car, and #3 car (or more) to just keep pace with competitor's cars for most of the race.
In the actual LeMans events early on with Ford's factory involvement, most of the GT's broke for a variety of reasons. Later, after a steep learning curve, the GT's held together very well and started winning.

The 1967 race was seminal in the fact that the red #1 Mark IV was run out as a rabbit for most of the race (save some early braking on the Mulsanne straightway) and was leading so, so far ahead that even backing off it set distance, speed and endurance records that lasted for many years thereafter.  So said Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt: https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/videos/a33169/dan-gurney-aj-foyt-le-mans-1967/
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:44:55 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 09:43:32 AM »
I watched the Netflix show "The 24 Hour War" as suggested above. Was well worth it. I enjoyed it as much or more than the Ford vs Ferrari movie. Interviews from Dan Gurney, Lee Holman, Ford III, Shelby, Andretti, Bob Bondurant, Enzo Ferrari's son, etc etc.
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 04:20:27 PM »
I watched the 24 Hour War too, thanks to Doug for suggesting that.  It was really very good.  One thing I didn't know that made me laugh was that the tradition of the winning driver spraying champagne at the crowd was started by Dan Gurney, after he won in the Mark IV in 1967.  He was just going for a laugh!  Now everybody does it LOL.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2019, 01:37:33 PM »
Saw the movie on Dec. 3rd with my wife and we both thought it was really good.  If the movie is close to factual, Ken Miles was the man
that was able to get the GT40 to perform the way it needed to in order to win races.  Without him I'm not so sure they could have accomplished what they did.  Sad that he didn't live on to continue racing.  I thought his character made this movie. 

Does anyone know any of the history on the tunnel port engines in the LeMans races?  I know they came later on but really haven't been able to find a lot?

garyv

TomP

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2019, 01:55:42 PM »
Ken was killed testing the J Car , I recall reading somewhere years ago that is was with the just being developed Tunnel Port heads.

I read more recently I read that in investigating the circumstances of his crash another driver duplicated the same testing and the transmission locked up at the same point Ken went off but since he was expecting something he was able to save it.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2019, 11:09:31 AM »
Just watched it yesterday.   It's was alright.  Had plenty of funny one liners in it, the crowd in the theater laughed. 

The car scenes "looked" realistic(for the general public).  I suppose better then back in the 60's with only a moving screen behind the car sitting still, but I guess I realize how fake it actually was and figure it might as well be done like the 60's?  I don't know.  Just my .02.

Larry

chris401

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2020, 12:34:17 AM »
Just watched it. Reminded me of reading the racing magazines when I was a boy.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2020, 11:11:08 AM »
I finally sat to watch the whole movie on DVD. IMO the movie was ok, but historically lacking. Don Frey was the lead engineer, Iaccoca put in charge of the program. Don Frey was the one who negotiated with Enzo. Enzo was ready to sell, but wanted control of the race team. Frey said that was the deal breaker. Henry had known Enzo since the early 50's. Don Frey was also responsible for the Mustang. Leo Beebe was made the bad guy in the movie. According to people who actually knew him and worked for him, Leo wasn't like the character in the movie.  I guess I should expect this as a movie usually isn't factual.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2020, 02:22:02 PM »
   Leo in his own words wasn't a "car guy" but since he wasn't , he was (IMHO) better on analysis and problem solving because of an impartial overview. He saw "situations" , focused on correcting them , and moving on to the next challenge. The amount of talent he had at his disposal meant he didn't have to be a mechanical engineer. He made them get what they needed to accomplish the "goal". More like a "git'r done" guy in a suit.
    Randy

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
I watched it the other night and thought it was pretty good but then I'm no movie buff anyway. Historic stuff aside and I understand there needs to be personality and relationship scenes, I would have liked to seen more on the GT's being built. The car appears out of nowhere beside an airplane at a hanger. Bit too much fast and furious upshifting and downshifting for my taste as well. The GT can barely get past the Ferrari and minutes later he's made up an entire lap to come up beside them again. Oh well, just a movie and only cost me $6.00.