Author Topic: Tunnel port advice  (Read 7138 times)

1966lanetp

• View Profile
Tunnel port advice
« on: October 02, 2020, 01:12:09 PM »
Hi, everyone. My name is Randy I’m new here, but have been reading your forum for a couple years. I just bought a 427so with tunnel port heads and 2x4 single plane manifold. It was a running engine until pulled and then sit for many years, I pulled it apart and here’s what I found...
Block J23 standard bore, .005 taper on 2 front bores, the rest were under .003
Crank C5ae 630 0 0 the bearings all looked good.
Rods C6AE-E polished std. bearings look good.
Pistons C8AX 6110A skirts show minor wear.
Heads C70E 609K look stock with a full “thumbprint “ no port work.
Intake C70E 94425A has a crappie weld on a bolt boss, otherwise looks stock.
I’m happy so far, but what do I do next?
I’ve been talking to Brent about options.
1. Build it back stock with new bearings, rings, cam, valve train etc.
2. Build a 482 with modern parts, hyd roller etc. shoot for 600ish HP.
3. Add ported tunnel port heads and manifold (around 650 to 700hp).
4. Sell it to someone who needs a vintage engine and start over?

Dumpling

• View Profile
Re: Tunnel port advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 01:28:54 PM »
Does it really gain you anything to port tunnel port heads?

I vote number 1.

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 01:34:51 PM »
Brent Lykins says 80 to 100 hp, it’s not just porting, but adding epoxy changes the velocity I think.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
    If you're not needing or wanting a vintage, in period engine................OPTION #4!         

If with no concern for truly "old stuff" of the period, buy "new stuff" for better durability and big horsepower intentions, it'll be cheaper in the end.         ;)

Scott.

mike7570

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 02:30:11 PM »
They fit fine in '67 mustangs, stock specs ran in the 10.70's

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
It’s going in a 66’ Fairlane, 4 speed, 9” Detroit locker, Caltracs, drag radials. It has a built 445 (425-450hp) in it now. I just want a 427so!

KsHighboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2020, 04:10:24 PM »
I vote 3. Nothing cooler than an original TP using factory heads that have been messaged and cranking out good Hp. The intake looks cool to boot!

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2020, 05:08:23 PM »
They fit fine in '67 mustangs, stock specs ran in the 10.70's

That is pretty awesome looking!

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
    If you're not needing or wanting a vintage, in period engine................OPTION #4!         

If with no concern for truly "old stuff" of the period, buy "new stuff" for better durability and big horsepower intentions, it'll be cheaper in the end.         ;)

Scott.
Wanna buy it? Ha. I’ve been looking for a good 427 block for a while, kinda hard to find. I do like the idea of a Ford block in my Fairlane.

garyv

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 05:26:21 PM »
 Number 3 gets my vote.
 Nothing cooler than old iron cranking out big HP
 Listen to Brent he won't steer you wrong.

garyv

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2020, 07:24:21 PM »
Number 3 gets my vote.
 Nothing cooler than old iron cranking out big HP
 Listen to Brent he won't steer you wrong.

garyv
Thanks, that’s the way I’m leaning, it’ll look at home in the old Fairlane.

pbf777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »

Scott.
Wanna buy it? Ha. I’ve been looking for a good 427 block for a while, kinda hard to find. I do like the idea of a Ford block in my Fairlane.

NA, ......  probably have eight or ten (?) including even "new-in-the-box" still left over waiting for builds.  We quit buying them a long time ago, decided it is better to let the customers find and invest in something, bring it to us, and then I'm not at a loss when it turns out to be junk!  Which happens all to often these days with this stuff.               ;) 

And again, if one wants a "period" engine in their '66 Fairlane, then certainly build it!  And if so, (remember you asked!) then OPTION #1, with perhaps an end result of a performance level of something greater than the original, but just don't try and be to crazy in the effort (OPTION # 2 & #3) and just waste what might be an example of an ever dwindling supply of "good" originals.       

I guess I just disapprove of wasting something for naught (including ones' budget), as if pushed, the old originals just aren't that tough, and if your going for OPTION #2 and/or #3 with vigor, its' not going to be anything like an original, so why worry about the presents or not of FOMOCO being cast in the otherwise weak block for the potential power level intention?           ???

Scott.

P.S.   Oh, and I already have a '67 "R" code Fairlane w/ the 427M.R.; and we raced (street & track) a '70 Shelby GT500 with a 461 cu. in. Tunnel-Port, and that's enough.               8)

And if you wish assistance with your effort we are very capable in the arena of the Ford FE's  (for example we currently have two 390's +/-, two 428's, & three 427's of customer builds in the shop now and it ain't like these are first ones we ever saw!).              :)

Scott.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »
Randy, where are you from?
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »

Scott.

NA, ......  probably have eight or ten (?) including even "new-in-the-box" still left over waiting for builds.  We quit buying them a long time ago, decided it is better to let the customers find and invest in something, bring it to us, and then I'm not at a loss when it turns out to be junk!  Which happens all to often these days with this stuff.               ;) 

And again, if one wants a "period" engine in their '66 Fairlane, then certainly build it!  And if so, (remember you asked!) then OPTION #1, with perhaps an end result of a performance level of something greater than the original, but just don't try and be to crazy in the effort (OPTION # 2 & #3) and just waste what might be an example of an ever dwindling supply of "good" originals.       

I guess I just disapprove of wasting something for naught (including ones' budget), as if pushed, the old originals just aren't that tough, and if your going for OPTION #2 and/or #3 with vigor, its' not going to be anything like an original, so why worry about the presents or not of FOMOCO being cast in the otherwise weak block for the potential power level intention?           ???

Scott.

P.S.   Oh, and I already have a '67 "R" code Fairlane w/ the 427M.R.; and we raced (street & track) a '70 Shelby GT500 with a 461 cu. in. Tunnel-Port, and that's enough.               8)

And if you wish assistance with your effort we are very capable in the arena of the Ford FE's  (for example we currently have two 390's +/-, two 428's, & three 427's of customer builds in the shop now and it ain't like these are first ones we ever saw!).              :)

Scott.
Thanks, you make some good points. Nothing has been pressure tested yet, but the apparent condition suggests it could be built back at least with the crankshaft, heads and manifold. Would you trust the rods? New valve train, cam, lifters, etc. what apr. hp with something like that? Thanks

1966lanetp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2020, 09:11:45 PM »