Author Topic: Anyone tried modifying stock 7-Litre valve cover baffles to clear roller rockers  (Read 4347 times)

1966sevenlitre

• View Profile
I have a black 1966 Galaxie 7-Litre that's near done with a frame-off resto. The motor was built by Tom Lucas at FE Specialties who's done a great job. While there are a lot of goodies inside the motor (SCAT 4.250"/6.7" stroker, Diamond 9.8-1 pistons, ported heads with 2.09/1.66 valves, Crower roller cam, Morel lifters, T&D rockers, etc), by and large I've prided myself on maintaining the car's factory appearance from top to bottom. Other than an MSD distributor, Holley 750DP, RWL tires and bullet caps, all the mods cannot be readily seen.

My plan was to top the motor with a perfect set of chrome mini pent-roof valve covers which were optioned on my car as part of the "chrome dress-up" kit. However, even with the tall Felpros & double gaskets, the baffles will not clear the roller rockers. We even tried flattening the baffles somewhat to gain added clearance, but no luck.

Overall, I need about 3/8” with thick gaskets (or 1/2” with normal gaskets). Not sure if I can squeeze that much room out of the baffles, or if I can remove them and create something different. But going without baffles is not an option due to risk of oil seepage/blowby.

So my question is, has anyone modified stock FE mini pent-roofs like the ones shown in this Ebay auction in order to clear roller rockers?

I know about the spacers from Branda and Medice http://www.medicemfg.com/) but I'd rather not go that route. If I cannot modify the original factory type baffles to gain proper clearance, then I'll go with the R-code pent-roof types which were available on other models in 1966. The motor already has the 427 cast iron headers and PI intake.

Thanks in advance.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
I'm guilty of cutting more than one or two baffles out and never
seen any real side effect with Roller's.
Just keep the caps tight.
I have lots of oil up to the head and rockers.

cammerfe

• View Profile
A number of years ago, at the Columbus meet, I bought a pair of what I believe to be 'Cobra Le Mans' cast valve covers. They had been subjected to a milling session to remove the fins, etc.

I finished them and bead-blasted them so that they looked like pent-roofs with a satin finish. When I put then on a engine that included Dove heads and a complete HD Dove rocker set-up, I found it necessary to take a rotary file and flapper-wheel to the inside of the cover-ends. It took about ten minutes on each end of each cover to get enough clearance for everything to fit together properly.

KS

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile
I have those covers on my convertible Fairlane engine with a hydraulic roller cam, stock non-adjustable rockers, and custom pushrods.  I think the adjusters will hit the top of the covers when the revs get up there.

1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

fairlanegt427

• 64 falcon 482 pond motor/ 65 comet 428
    • View Profile
I see in that picture you have the black distributor cap for that msd.  I just hate the red ones.  i think they just look terrible.   imo

1966sevenlitre

• View Profile
I have those covers on my convertible Fairlane engine with a hydraulic roller cam, stock non-adjustable rockers, and custom pushrods.  I think the adjusters will hit the top of the covers when the revs get up there.
Heya ... just curious, did you use the tall gaskets? 

I ended up getting a set of 427 pent-roofs as a backup plan.  These are the marine style with baffles. 

Meantime, I have a spare set of the chrome mini-pent roof types like the ones in your picture available as part of the chrome dress up kit on 7-Litres and other models.  Tom Lucas at FE Specialties (who built the motor) said I need about 3/8" clearance with these covers using tall gaskets.  I'm not sure if I can get that space out of them.   

I have a perfect set of chrome covers ready to bolt on.  But if I do any welding on them, I have to be very careful.  Otherwise it can yellow or distort the chrome.  The hope is I can cut the baffles to create the clearance I need before welding it all back together without impacting the chrome surface.  I have a spare set so I'll use them as the guinea pig. 

I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who runs one of the last remaining show-quality chrome shops here in the Bay area.   He won't steer me wrong on advice and he can also help if needed.     

If I can't get the baffles to clear, then I'll probably just go with the 427 pent-roofs.  I have a PI intake and long-style cast iron headers, so they won't be out of place.  It's just that the theme of my car has been to keep it very stock and original looking ... with upgrades like stroker, QTP cutous, quick ratio steering, etc all hidden from view.

JamesonRacing

• 1966 - What a great year for FOMOCO
    • View Profile

I used Edelbrock valve cover gaskets.  I  can raise the height as the brake booster is very close to the valve cover.  The only way I was able to use the short valve covers was to use non-adjustable rockers.

My goal was to keep the engine looking mostly stock, with a stock looking distributor, valve covers, and air cleaner, but couldn't bring myself to paint the aluminum heads and intake.  The fuel injection doesn't look particularly stock either, but at least it's mostly hidden by the air cleaner.
1966 Fairlane GT, Silver Blue/Black 496/C4 (9.93@133)
1966 Fairlane GT, Nightmist Blue/Black 465/TKO (11.41@122)
1966 Fairlane GTA Conv, Antique Bronze/Black, 418EFI/C6
1966 F250 C/S, Rangoon Red, 445/T19
1965 Falcon Futura 4-door, Turquoise, EF! Z2363/4R70W

RJP

• View Profile

I ended up getting a set of 427 pent-roofs as a backup plan.  These are the marine style with baffles. 

Meantime, I have a spare set of the chrome mini-pent roof types like the ones in your picture available as part of the chrome dress up kit on 7-Litres and other models.  Tom Lucas at FE Specialties (who built the motor) said I need about 3/8" clearance with these covers using tall gaskets.  I'm not sure if I can get that space out of them.   

I have a perfect set of chrome covers ready to bolt on.  But if I do any welding on them, I have to be very careful.  Otherwise it can yellow or distort the chrome.  The hope is I can cut the baffles to create the clearance I need before welding it all back together without impacting the chrome surface.  I have a spare set so I'll use them as the guinea pig. 

I'm very fortunate to have a good friend who runs one of the last remaining show-quality chrome shops here in the Bay area.   He won't steer me wrong on advice and he can also help if needed.     

If I can't get the baffles to clear, then I'll probably just go with the 427 pent-roofs.  I have a PI intake and long-style cast iron headers, so they won't be out of place.  It's just that the theme of my car has been to keep it very stock and original looking ... with upgrades like stroker, QTP cutous, quick ratio steering, etc all hidden from view.
Roger, Could you email me the name of that chrome shop please? I may be in the market for some chrome work. Thanks, Bob

1966sevenlitre

• View Profile

Roger, Could you email me the name of that chrome shop please? I may be in the market for some chrome work. Thanks, Bob

Bob - just sent you an email.

1966sevenlitre

• View Profile

I used Edelbrock valve cover gaskets.  I  can raise the height as the brake booster is very close to the valve cover.  The only way I was able to use the short valve covers was to use non-adjustable rockers.

My goal was to keep the engine looking mostly stock, with a stock looking distributor, valve covers, and air cleaner, but couldn't bring myself to paint the aluminum heads and intake.  The fuel injection doesn't look particularly stock either, but at least it's mostly hidden by the air cleaner.

James - thanks for the note.  My approach is the same.  I've put a lot of time and effort into keeping the car looking stock from top the bottom.  It's hard to do. 

Aside from RWL tires, bullet caps, MSD dizzy (the 6AL box is hidden) and a Holley 750 under the air cleaner, all the mods are out of view.  Bottom line is that aside from those few details and the period-correct Sun Tach, SW gauges and John Mitchell Mark IV hang-on AC, the car looks straight out of the day.

I had a perfect set of the mini pent roofs that were part of the chrome dress up kit available for 7-Litres and other models.  I was looking forward to capping off the engine with these babies.  It was dismaying to learn they didn't clear. 

I have an old set that I'll use as guinea pigs to see if I can get to work.  I need about 3/8" clearance with tall gaskets.  First I'll see if the baffles can be cut & reshaped to gain that extra 3/8ths of space.  If so, as you mentioned, I'll have to be sure the clearance is real, even under high RPMs (redline here is 5,700). 

Over the next few