Author Topic: Engine Masters 410 engine - parting out or make offer  (Read 5124 times)

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Engine Masters 410 engine - parting out or make offer
« on: October 04, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
Now that the contest has ended I need to sell this engine - have to pay some bills.  Many of these parts were already in my shop from past projects.  With this years rules we decided to put them together as an assembly for the challenge.  As such, some of them are older but in good condition, while other items were borrowed and have to be returned - you thus have the option to purchase it as is - or customize this to suit your needs.

I will consider parting this out, but would prefer to sell the complete assembly.

This package consistently delivered over 530 horsepower both at home and at the EMC event.  One pull at home had a 538HP number, but it frequently hit 533 in both locations.  Best torque was around 520.  Power was around 526 at 5500 RPM and remained above that level beyond 6600 - - - really flat power band.  We usually ran it to 6800 for scoring, but did go beyond 7000 once just to see.

Specifics...
Block is a 390.  It is bore to 4.100 and has about two inches of hard block - - still quite a ways below the water pump holes and certainly still usable as a street piece.  Has a small (under a 1/2 inch) spot of weld on one deck next to the lifter valley.  We saw a suspicious looking area there and decided to stick a little bit of weld on as insurance.  There are perhaps three dozen pulls on the engine with no sign of any problems at all.

Crank is a 428 factory item ground 10-10
Rods are Scat H beams
Pistons are custom Race-tec flat tops with 10.47:1 compression, lateral gas ports and a 1.0-1.0-2.0mm Mahle ring pack
Balanced internally

Camshaft is a Bullet roller with just under .600 lift per specifications - measured .574 at the valve actual once assembled.
Damper is a Romac
Timing cover and chain are FE Power items
Oil pan is a Ford factory C8AX performance piece from 1968
Rockers are Harland Sharp bushing style with ARP mounting studs
Heads are C6AE-R castings, ported by Joe Craine.  Valves are Rev 2.150 and 1.650 with 11/32 stem.  Springs are Comp conical solid roller cam parts with titanium retainers.
Valve covers are really nice polished Blue Thunder competition style parts.

The Street Dominator intake that we ran belongs to Joe Craine and has already been removed for return to him.  The distributor we used belongs to Tim Young and has also been removed for return to him.  Same thing for the carburetor, which has already been given back to Randy Malik and Adney Brown.  If somebody wants to purchase this as a running engine we would install replacement parts of their choice and run it again on dyno before delivery.

Price will obviously depend on degree of completion and added parts desired, but when making offers or determining budget please realize that there are some fairly valuable and expensive parts included.  Despite the 390 block and iron heads, this is truly not an economy or budget type build.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:54:02 AM by Barry_R »

plovett

Re: Engine Masters 410 engine
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »
Barry, I am not trying to be a butt, BUT you should at least add a price for the long block as it is.  You mentioned that you could add parts and services that would affect that, but a potential buyer at least needs a starting point.

What are the cam spec's?

JMO,

paulie
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:30:04 AM by plovett »

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 10:08:42 AM »
To satisfy the earlier request I spent a few minutes to price up the 410 EMC engine.
To completely duplicate this one would be a nearly $15,000 effort.
Obviously I cannot sell it with the intake, carb, and ignition - those have been returned to their owners.
I would install a Performer RPM, a 780 vacuum QFT carb, and a normal Duraspark, check it on dyno, and sell it for $12,500

If somebody wanted to reduce cost they could have me swap out the polished BT valve covers for something more normal, swap out the C8AX pan for a regular production aftermarket item, install a normal timing cover and a Powerbond damper instead of the fancy stuff it has on it right now.  That would knock nearly a grand off the price.  None of these substitutions should have a really meaningful impact on performance.

I would sell the "naked" long block & heads assembly for $7500

This is a proven combination of parts that makes great power and torque over a wide RPM range on pump fuel.

Open to rational offers

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »
Still available...

Currently opened up for pictures  to be in a pending magazine article.   Will be reassembled with fresh wearables (bearings & gaskets etc) in a week or so.  Willing to make a deal....

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 11:24:44 AM »
Bumpity

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
Re: Engine Masters 410 engine - parting out or make offer...
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
Since nobody has purchased this as an assembly I will probably part it out.

Shoot me an offer for individual subassemblies and I will decide.

Heads

Short block

Oil pan

Seems a shame....

manofmerc

• View Profile
Re: Engine Masters 410 engine - parting out or make offer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 04:23:39 AM »
Be patient .After the magazine article interest will increase .Which magazine is it going to be in ? Doug

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 05:57:14 AM »
I had one gentleman inquiring about it yesterday, so I might hang on a little bit - but really want this one moved along...

dsarge390

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 12:07:02 PM »
Hello, Barry. Is this engine still available?