Author Topic: Split dominator manifold & camshaft  (Read 7568 times)

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
Split dominator manifold & camshaft
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:22 PM »
eBay got the better of me while working out at sea!
Purchased 4 split dominators for a great price. Have a fresh built 390 stroker with 4.250 rpm steel crank.
Ordered new flat top pistons from Barry to raise comp at 10.7 with unshaved heads.
Question is could the Carbs be mounted on individual runner intake similar to webers?
Or maybe a tripower style arrangement if I must keep them progressive with a plenum?

Limiting factor on rpm as I see it will be the t@d street rockers.
If I go to a solid or solid roller camshaft what is max rpm that I can reliably achieve with my setup?
Understand that cylinder port flow will be critical to the max hp achieved so will be getting the kc stage 2 heads flowed and hopefully improved locally.

Any advise on the intake setup?
What camshaft would be recommended if individual runners are used not used?
Will reversion be an issue?
Thanks
Joel
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

scott foxwell

Re: Split dominator manifold & camshaft
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
Carbs are going to want a plenum.

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:16:42 PM »
Scott I was thinking as there be a carby Venturi able to feed each port I might be able to run independent runners. Like the Weber carburettors do so successfully.
Is the reason I require a plenum due to using holleys?
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

unclewill

• View Profile
1969 Ford Cobra, 482 side oiler, BBM aluminum heads, FiTech EFI, Edelbrock 7105, Comp 292H, CR 4 speed, 9", 3.50

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 12:20:38 AM »
That link has your standard pro stock sheet metal manifold.
Certainly effective but not at all what I am trying to achieve.

If I cannot run them on a short individual runners then I will look at a tri power intake with progressive linkage.
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

Tobbemek

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 03:56:23 AM »
Whit a IR carb intake system the carb venturi size is the problem "choke" it will take dual dominator's to feed a T/A Boss 302 producing
470 HP or so 

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »
If you wanted to get creative, you could use one of Jay's adapters with a Bud Moore 351C maxi plenum intake, and make a custom top for it so that you mount a split Dommie over a 2-cylinder pair.   :)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
How big are the throttle bores on those carbs?  FYI a 48 IDA Weber setup has 48mm throttle bores, which is just under 2".  When I dyno tested those, if I recall correctly I put in 45mm venturis to max out the airflow potential.  They were pretty tough to beat up to 550 HP or so, but after that they fell off somewhat compared to the other intakes.  I would say that whether or not you can make an IR intake work with those carbs will depend on the venturi size and your horsepower goals.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

scott foxwell

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 11:00:34 AM »
Scott I was thinking as there be a carby Venturi able to feed each port I might be able to run independent runners. Like the Weber carburettors do so successfully.
Is the reason I require a plenum due to using holleys?
Above comments are correct...not near enough throttle bore dia. for IR. I also don't think the carb is designed to deal with the reversion like a Weber but that might be more a function of throttle bore dia. than actual design.
The original Weiand Pro Ram intake was designed to bolt a Holley Dominator right o top of the runners. In fact, it still has the same bolt pattern today. I forget who did the R&D (I think it was Smokey) but two Dominators on a SB Chev were not big enough for an IR appplication. Just food for thought. Ultimately they decided they needed a common plenum. Another point of reference...look at the size of the butterflys on your typical individual runner MFI set up. That'll give you a clue as to the demand of an IR intake design.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 12:25:37 PM »
Not that I feel like adding anything to the thread......
but where do you work offshore?

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
Jay I have your intake book and studied the numbers, I am aiming at 600hp, the great results shown by the webbers were the reason I was interested in trying the IR manifold.
These carbs came off a 812 cube sonnys prostock engine and look to be heavily worked.
The throttle plates are 2.2" so I think they should flow enough for my use.
I was concerned they be way to big if used on a plenum hence suggestion of tripower.
Also why I was interested in cam specs as currently have a 232" @ .50 hydraulic roller on order and was thinking I need to go solid/ solid roller to get more rpm to utilise these carbs.
And if IR then options to reduce reversion.
I do have the reversion plates so that should help.
Love the look of webbers and thought this be a interesting and individual intake setup, and hopefully as successful as Weber IR.
Am in contact with CFM as carbs were produced by them.
Brent thanks for info will google that manifold you suggested tonight.
I am all ears. Jays intake was in my plan if I go IR.

Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 12:35:08 PM »
Brent, that box intake seems like it was before it's time, many new efi intakes employ the same long runners that cross over..
I like your suggestion but there is a budget and as soon as the words rare vintage and NASCAR or canam are put together it usually is well above my budget.
Definitely food for thought, I was thinking short runner as it be very direct and almost vertical inlet.
What are the gains/losses in having the longer runners? I have a bonnet with scoop so tunnel rams are not possible. Would more fuel fall out of suspension due to the long horizontal runner?

Drew, have pm you briefly before.
For everyone's info I am currently working for Mcdermott on a small vessel owned by solstad.
I am in itchys field off north Western Australia.
Few weeks ago I pulled in the mooring chains on the worlds heaviest semi sub platform.
Google Impex explorer, she a seriously large vessel.
3x 30 MW gas turbines I believe..
Not FE related but might interest some.
Joel
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 12:57:26 PM by funsummer »
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 01:00:23 PM »
If the carbs have a venturi diameter of 2.0" or so, the IR idea with those carbs might just work at a 600 HP level.  Sure would be fun to try that; what a unique induction system that would be!  Post some pictures and test results if you go forward with that.
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:32:51 PM »
Jay,
Thanks for the input.
Posted looking for some feed back and input.
With all your intake experience if you think it's worth a go then that's reason enough for me to have a go at it.

What about camshaft specs to limit reversion?
Would cam suitable for webers be best place to start?
Joel
Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Not to put a big damper on your idea, but even if the throttle bore and venturi size end up working out for you, you may very well find the metering blocks, air bleeds, etc. are no where near what your application needs, compared to what they where designed for. Carbs of that sort are pretty specifically designed for the combo. It's an interesting experiment though, let us know if you go forward.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 04:30:14 PM by thatdarncat »
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V