Author Topic: Copper paste on aluminium  (Read 2958 times)

Landlubberatsea

• Jan
    • View Profile
Copper paste on aluminium
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »
The 360 has returned as a 445 from the builder (will post dynopapers and engine facts on the member project page soon) and with the help from some friends we managed to squeeze it down in to the engine bay, but now I'm worried that I have made a huge mistake.
When bolting the FPA's to the Edelbrock heads (with normal steel bolts) I used copper paste as anti-seize, but now I've read and heard that this can eat up the threads due to galvanic corrossion.
How far up shit creek am I? Do I need to pull out the engine again (and say goodbye to my friends) or is this mostly a theoretical problem?
-68 Torino GT with a 390 that turned out to be a 360 but now is becoming a 445....

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
Re: Copper paste on aluminium
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
You cannot reach the bolts in the installed engine?

Anyway, copper anti-seize on steel bolts into aluminum *can* cause issues, but I was always inclined to believe it was mostly an issue in wet environments.  I wouldn't worry about it too much, but it might be nice to check the bolts once in awhile just cuz.

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 10:59:02 AM »
Anti-seize is recommended when using stainless steel or steel bolts in aluminum heads.  Just because it is copper instead of aluminum color should not affect the aluminum heads.  Inserts are not aluminum, and they live in the heads without corrosion.  I think you are overthinking the issue.  JMO, but I would not worry about it until you start experiencing a problem several years down the road--if at all.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:18 AM »
I've never heard of any type of galvanic reaction with copper based anti-seize. Most of the tapped holes in aluminum heads have a stainless steel threaded insert (Helicoil, Keensert etc.) anyhow. 
Kevin McCullah

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »
I agree, I have never had an issue with either and use them interchangeably
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Landlubberatsea

• Jan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 09:06:56 PM »
Ok, sounds like I'm good to go then ;) Thanks for all replies!
-68 Torino GT with a 390 that turned out to be a 360 but now is becoming a 445....

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 09:17:04 PM »
When I used to work as a fitter I had these spot welders to look after that would have liquid flux all over them. They had black high tensile cap screws into copper. So straight away when I disassembled any to repair I would put never seize on the screws. As they screwed into copper I used copper never seize. Problems started to ensue as female threads got eaten away. Changed to aluminium never seize and the problem disappeared. Don't know what this means....just sayin'.

funsummer

• Joel R
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 03:55:29 AM »
i work at sea, some times in my past on aluminum hulled boats.
Working at sea we avoid this like the plague.
But saying that its copper aluminum and salt water.
Stainless bolts also thrown in for good measure.
Equals a battery with aluminum being the metal that dissolves.
With out the salt water i be think it be ok.
If you ever take it to sea give it a thorough wash after lol
Copper is definitely better at the high temp ranges.
turbo and exhaust manifold bolts.
Cat 34 series love to brake exhaust studs. Cat even made a kit with a alignment plate to drill them out centrally.
Run it, once manifold gaskets leak then you can clean threads with some contact cleaner.
 ;D

Joel Reynolds
1965 Galaxie LTD 2 door.
1938 Nash