Author Topic: What is your engine prep for a long sitting engine?  (Read 1340 times)

Heo

• View Profile
Re: What is your engine prep for a long sitting engine?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2024, 12:51:57 AM »
Same for them, they had blocks and cranks and other bare castiron/steel parts laying around in the garage
that had not rusted. So what happened i dont know ...no rust in the crankcase or under the valvecovers
just the liftervalley. And she had not had any coolant in the engine

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2024, 06:57:03 AM »
...Some way condensation must have gathered
under the intake and rusted the unoiled castiron

If it was sitting under an impermeable tarp or even a simple sheet of plastic, it will collect moisture and destroy anything under the tarp.  This can happen even inside in a temperature controlled building, like a garage.  Moisture comes up through concrete just like it was a dirt floor.  It is better to use something like a bed sheet or towels if something must be covered.  A car cover works very good too.  I always say that if you want to destroy something, put it under a tarp.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2024, 09:06:08 AM »
I have had great results with circulating the air under the car while it sits.
This ciruclation does not have to be much, no wind required, just moving the air to keep stagnant air from allowing condensation.

This works with tool boxes, shelves, and other areas where stagnant air collects.

Just keep the air moving just enough to exchange the air.