Author Topic: Side mirrors for Galaxie  (Read 742 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Side mirrors for Galaxie
« on: March 31, 2024, 09:27:43 AM »
Are the reproduction rectangular rearview side mirrors decent quality, or should I be looking for an original?  The diver's side mirror on my 66 is getting sloppy and I'd like to add a mirror to the passenger side.

Thanks and Happy Easter

GJCAT427

• View Profile
Re: Side mirrors for Galaxie
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2024, 10:55:17 AM »
  I have dual side mirrors on my 63. They loosen up and I just tighten them, I`m thinking of using some lock tight but haven't got around to it. Are they  loose at the mirror head or at the base mount?

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2024, 01:17:13 PM »
Mine is loose at the ball adjustment at the mirror.  The bigger issue is that I don't have a mirror for the passenger side.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 08:13:18 AM »
Mike, there were a couple different mirrors used in 1966. (besides trim options of course)
I have never nailed it down to why so I just figure it was a running revision or a regional parts issue.

Anyway, the squarish mirror on my 66 7-LITRE is not easy to find if the specific details matter.
I can find period correct looking mirrors, but not like the one on my drivers door.

Also, there was no requirement for a passenger door mirror in 1966.
If your car never had a passenger door mirror (no holes, mounts, or witness marks) then your car was ordered without a passenger door mirror and this was perfectly legal.

My Galaxie never had the passenger door mirror and I have seen a couple other 66's that don't have the passenger mirror either, but this is not common....and sometimes you have to go through the hassles of the authorities telling you the mirror was required....It was not.

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 01:19:16 PM »
I actually want to add one, even though it didn't come with one.  The garage stall that it resides in is uncomfortably narrow and a passenger mirror would help in backing out without rearranging the sheet metal.  My driver's side mirror is rectangular and I have to readjust it every time I close the door.

Tunnelwedge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 01:41:38 PM »
I've gone to the reflective side. :)
I feel you should put dual side mirrors on and big ones that stick out.
I put them on my Fastback and WOW I can see that blind spot and back up. :o
That crazy guy sneaking up my right quarter. I see him. ;D
Saggy non visible mirrors are not helping you. ;)