Author Topic: holman and moody 2x4 mediumriser scoop "SOLD" pending payment  (Read 3221 times)

427HRmike

• View Profile
holman and moody 2x4 mediumriser scoop "SOLD" pending payment
« on: September 30, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »
Hello, I have a few rare FE things I will be posting on ebay or craigslist soon I would like to input form you guys on what I should ask for a price so I will start with this. Maybe see if one of you might be interested. This is a Holman and Moody 2x4 intake scoop off of a 427 medium riser. This is not a reproduction but then again I don't think anybody reproduced this anyway. I heard one went for $1500.00 a few years back and saw another sell in 2007 for $850.00 and someone had ground the hm off.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:27:53 AM by 427HRmike »

FB

• View Profile
Re: holman and moody 2x4 mediumriser scoop
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:43:16 PM »
Thats not a scoop per-se but a marine spark arrestor. it is missing the screens in the front. i have seen them listed for stupid money and i've seen them listed for not so stupid money.
have no idea what they ended up selling for, but they have limited use for a street vehicle.
Fred

427HRmike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:58:07 PM »
I understand and you are correct this came off of a flat bottom v'drive with a 427. Just found another one sold in 2014 on ebay for 2499.00? I knew this was rare but you are right stupid money? I guess I can start on ebay and see if I get that lucky. Its been in my family for years but that is quite an expensive wall hanger:)

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 07:27:08 PM »
 So you are aware these have been reproduced in the past (80's) and currently there is a steady stream of fakes on Ebay. The new ones are cast in two pieces and then welded but the average person doesn't know the difference or care. FWIW I got $1500 out of a flawless and significantly more rare Hiriser version just before production started.

eBay is funny thing, all it takes are two guys that "need" something to bring a good price. Stress that it's original and you might find them.

427HRmike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »
Thank you I did not know they are being reproduced and also did not know there was a high riser version. Im pretty confident this is the real deal and off a medium riser. I will have to do some homework on the carb spacing dimensions to verify medium vs high riser.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2018, 09:16:36 AM »
LR/MR and most 2x4 intakes of any brand including tunnelrams have an 8-1/2" centerline where HR is 9-1/4". Looking at the pictures yours should be a LR/MR piece.

An original is a one piece casting with thin parting flash if anything where the mold sections meet. The fakes are often porous, have an actual seem from being cast separately and the areas where the arrestors mount is not defined. An original is significantly nicer in everyway so collectors still want them but any reproduction affects value by reducing rarity. The HR version and later LR/MR have an oval around the front mounting stud to fit both positions. HM for some reason was too lazy to make a dedicated top pattern for both spacings so the LR/MR pattern was modified. Early castings feature two round stud mounting positions.

My 2 cents is that fair current value is around $800 but it may fetch more. If you have other parts of this type I'd be glad to share what I'm getting and seeing out there FWIW.

,Dan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:08:48 AM by HvyFt4spd »

427HRmike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
Thank you HvyFt4spd,

I attached a couple pics showing exactly what you have described. Thin casting line, not porous, and the oval pad. If you agree I will post this as an original holman & moody on ebay, and of course I will post it hoping to get the "stupid money" :) Other items I will be selling include the following some which I do not have yet(me and my cousin our dividing up parts that have been stored since the 70s and early 80s).
1. C3AE-H 427 low riser heads not sure if they were ported but someone took the time and polished the ports and the chambers.
2. 4.125 Hank the crank with never ran Bill miller rods and never ran aries custom pistons installed on them(2 extras). I think 4.250 bore
3. 427 $teel crank
4. eight C7AE-B re-sized rods with .030 390 pistons in stalled . Not forged I think they are silvolites they have 4 valve reliefs.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 01:35:40 AM »
Do you have any other HM Marine parts?  Looking for a HM water pump, similar to an FT mounting design.

HvyFt4spd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
 Yes, I agree it's an original late version casting.

I'd like to know more about the crank/assembly.

,Dan

427HRmike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 02:07:00 PM »
Dumpling- I might have a hm timing cover from a 427 high riser but no other hm parts at his time.

HvyFt4spd- here is a link that shows the crank rods and pistons I was talking about, The the other parts are not for sale or are being used. All these parts are from my uncles jet boats, They raced miller jets back in the 70s and 80s. All these parts have been sitting ever since and some have not been ran at all.

http://s189.photobucket.com/user/mikebeth_2007/library/427%20high%20riser?sort=3&page=1

427HRmike

• View Profile
Re: holman and moody 2x4 mediumriser scoop "SOLD" pending payment
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »
I have sold the Holman moody scoop and the 427 low riser heads. Thanks for all the help and reply's, I will post more things as I get them. For those of you waiting for the other parts I will PM you when I get them.

Mike

hbstang

• View Profile
Re: 427 stroker rotating assembly
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2018, 06:09:57 PM »
how much did you want for the crank,rods pistons?were they ran?what is the comp height on pistons?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 06:24:12 PM by hbstang »

427HRmike

• View Profile
Re: holman and moody 2x4 mediumriser scoop "SOLD" pending payment
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
hbstang- sorry still waiting to see if I actually get those from my cousin. The crank has been ran but the rods and pistons are new. I don't have them to verify comp height but my notes say they are for the 4.125 stroke with the longer 6.2 BB chev style rods if I remember right(don't quote me on the length just yet) the big end of the rod is 2.330 and the small end (pin) is .975.