Author Topic: Aluminium cleaner.  (Read 5183 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
Aluminium cleaner.
« on: June 07, 2015, 09:27:29 AM »
Any good ideas on a good aluminium cleaner ?  Looking for something to clean heads, intakes, satin finish aluminium wheels, ect. At one time there was a product called "greaseoff" that could be gotten from hardware store's.  It worked way better than any of the royal purple type stuff.. I haven't seen it for a few years though. I have really good luck with the "etching" type wheel cleaner and it makes heads and manifolds look brand new but its really exspensive to be using on large parts. Was wondering if any of you guys have ran across anything that works realy well.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

machoneman

• View Profile
Re: Aluminium cleaner.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
I'd hit your local Dollar store (many variations of the name like Dollar General, etc.) and pick up a 1 quart container of any cleaner that has "orange", "fast orange" or some variation on the orange name. They are all citrus-based and cheap at $1 a quart. It may not work on all aluminum stains but they are great oil/grease removers. 
Bob Maag

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
I've had pretty good luck using Simple Green and a power-washer, but it pretty much requires the part being off of whatever it goes on. I let the cleaner soak into the stain and keep it wet for a bit, then do some pinpoint power washing. Usually works pretty good on all but the worst of stains that etch into the metal.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 02:16:40 PM »
Thanks guys..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
both heads cleaned with purple power industrial strength parts cleaner/de-greaser and a firm bristle brush then pressure washed with hot water. i was pleased with how well it removed the grime and oil coating. next i sprayed the one head with Duragloss 860 aluminum etching cleaner and let set for 1 minute then rinsed with the pressure washer. needless to say i was very happy with the results . i got lucky and picked up the duragloss from northern tool co and it was on the reduced rack so i bought the 3 remaining bottles they had left.  just thought id share ..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:48:24 AM »
Turned out real nice.
Those are some funky looking retainers. Never seen a set like that.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 11:07:05 AM »
I think that was an old trick to lighten the steel retainers. I don't know if it would be a problem to let the extra oil on the valve seals though.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
I think that was an old trick to lighten the steel retainers. I don't know if it would be a problem to let the extra oil on the valve seals though.

They are cupped from what I can see. And they appear to only cover about half the spring thickness.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 04:44:32 PM »

They are cupped from what I can see. And they appear to only cover about half the spring thickness.

Is it me, or do they appear to be octagonal shape as well. It looks like there are flats on them, also I would feel better if they covered more spring. Jmo.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 10:00:30 PM »
The retainers are NASCAR style qualifying retainers and they are octagonal shaped and do have a very slight cup. i agree they are kinda funky looking as well. also you are correct, they only cover about 2/3 of the outer spring flat of the triple spring setup. The retainers and the titanium valves came from a NASCAR source. The valves are used "dyno" valves that where fully checked and then sold for a reasonable price. the retainers were originally used for part of the lighter valve train obviously and also for clearance when the bulky Harland Sharp rockers were being used. 7200 - 7400 RPM and i never once had a problem with the retainers or springs. however i fully expect that when i get the heads back that these retainers wont be the ones being used. im quite sure the springs need replaced as well. I left the heads together to ship them instead of shipping 16 titanium valves loose.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.