Author Topic: titan oil pump  (Read 6235 times)

fekbmax

• View Profile
titan oil pump
« on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »
has anyone used the titan oil pump for the Fe ? is it worth the big bucks for a full race application ?
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
Re: titan oil pump
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:06 PM »
I've never used one, but I've been told the Titan pumps are standard equipment on top of the line super stock FEs.  Not sure why, I guess, but for $800 or whatever it is they get for them, they must offer some power advantage...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 12:49:33 AM »
Check this place before you make your decision. http://www.schumannsdynamicperformance.com/ My dad just ordered a pump from him for his sb fox mustang. He is on the up and up for sure. He used to race FEs. I know my next oil pump for my 390 will be coming from him! FE oil pump is not listed on the website I don't think, but email or give him a call. He will get you what you need. ;)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 05:52:35 AM »
Don't know of Titan's FE pump but can only guess the gear rotor design is better at keeping oil where it should be for those high-wheelie SS cars.

They actually are used far more in the alky/nitro ranks (think: Hemi replicas) than elsewhere. Nice pieces but for that kind of cash, running the stock pump and using the 'savings' for more go-fast parts sounds like a better idea.   

http://www.titanspeed.com/content/pump/
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 01:23:36 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 05:55:52 AM »
It's a costly piece indeed.  I have had one in my hands and it looked like a nice piece but haven't been able to get much info from anyone useing it. I know billet fab still offers the pump/pan combo. Maybe just stick with the modified melling/milodon pumps and the old full sump truck pan.  ???  Any views on volume versus pressure for the Fe ? Another can of worms lol.  Thanks for the link, ill deff check it out.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:34:12 AM »
The big advantage of the Titan pump goes to the GM crowd.
The spur gear pump is a disadvantage for them and the upgrade to the gerotor type system
helps them a lot.
Us Ford yahoo's already have that system, so there really is no upgrade.
As for how much you spend, well some people insist on super duper high end bolts
that screw in to aluminum. fwiw

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 10:18:10 AM »
Schumann's pumps hold several patents. They have also been proven to pick up a little hp. Here's a look at my dad's 302 pump.

Also, fwiw, the cost of this standard volume pressure balanced "street" pump was a tick over $100.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:59:23 PM by Nightmist66 »
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 01:09:28 PM »
Thanks guys for the info. I just was curious if there was anyone that actually used one and what the benefits may be. I have been plenty happy with modified stock style pumps so im thinking for now unless there be a overwhelming reason that ill stick with that. Maybe use that $ more wisely such as on one of Jay's intake adapters. ..
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

CaptCobrajet

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 01:43:58 PM »
Back to back, the Titan was not any better as long as the supply line on the suction side of the regular pump is large enough.  The Titan has no pickup.......it is part of the housing body, which reduces the chance of cavitation.  Nice pump, nice guy owns the place, but in a Ford, the pump has the same style rotor as the Titan.  The pump is probably more durable in an endurance setting........a cast pump can break, but they can be cryoed also...........
Blair Patrick

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 10:03:37 PM »
Howie you are a Gentleman and a Scholar for so appropriately pointing out: "The big advantage of the Titan pump goes to the GM crowd.  The spur gear pump is a disadvantage for them and the upgrade to the gerotor type system
helps them a lot. " . I know all about those GM spur gear pumps after my old man drove his Buick Elec 225 to/from the newspaper store one  f-f-freezing morning and the oil light came on as he told me - Dad skipped that it was ticking all to hell from no oil pressure.  I had to fix it. FYI The "plug" on the EMC challenge oil pump is a friggen cheap-shot since the EMC motor in magazine is not even a Ford.
Rather interesting how much the fancy Dan piece resembles a standard Ford pump - the fact dry sumps use gerotor's says something

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 05:22:56 AM »
Arguably better quality parts. 
But in the applications most of us build these are "solutions looking for a problem".

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »
It seems it's money's better spent on other aspects of the build. Thanks guys for all your opinions and sharing the vast amount of knolage from every aspect. 
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.