Author Topic: intake and head combo  (Read 2125 times)

62galxe

• View Profile
intake and head combo
« on: March 12, 2019, 02:10:34 PM »
Building a 390 soon and wanting to make sure my C8AE-H heads will work with the tri power intake. I'm not familiar with the port differences in the various heads. thanks

FElony

Re: intake and head combo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »
Building a 390 soon and wanting to make sure my C8AE-H heads will work with the tri power intake. I'm not familiar with the port differences in the various heads. thanks

The bottom of the H port is going to be shorter than that of the 6V, so sealing might be an issue affected by different factors. I'm thinking there is a certain gasket that is wider in that area, but someone else will have to come up with the correct number.

I ran a 6V on C7 heads in the 70's with no problems. I did the swap myself, but the gasket info is very hazy. Not Felpro, perhaps McCord.

62galxe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 07:21:46 PM »
I have a 352 with C4AE-G heads. Would these be a better choice?

rockhouse66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 07:34:15 AM »
Well I feel dumb.  I just bolted the tri-power to the H heads and didn't even worry about it!  Must work though.

Jim

62galxe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:35:17 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. Looks like the gasket makes up the difference.

FElony

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 11:14:37 AM »
Well I feel dumb.  I just bolted the tri-power to the H heads and didn't even worry about it!  Must work though.

You used a 2.34 gasket, which will probably be fine. The 2.10 is where the problem is; matches head port better but may expose bottom of intake port, either sooner or later as vacuum tugs on it.

FElony

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:22:27 AM »
I have a 352 with C4AE-G heads. Would these be a better choice?

G ports are a better match, but again it's in the gasket. I had no problem with mine. Friend here in AZ had his employee do a 6V swap onto a Bumpside in the late 90's. Ordered a gasket to match year of truck. Ran great. He neenered me because of my warning. Three months later Bump back in running like poop. Two ports had sucked up the lower material. I neenered in return.

FElony

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 11:27:20 AM »
I might add that the sometimes mentioned issue of using end gaskets under the intake instead of a bead of sealer could have an effect on sealing a 2.10 gasket, especially if the intake was not retorqued.

62galxe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
thanks. sounds like a 2.34 gasket and the h heads since there already rebuilt.

WerbyFord

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 11:55:28 PM »
I also like the c4ae-g heads better but its close. Maybe a 5hp difference I'd guess.
I ran a 390 with one c8ae-h head and a big early intake, mismatch like you have on 1 side only.
Timeslip was exactly as the Gonkulator predicted, 16.30 at 85mph (a 4450 lb wagon) so I don't think the mismatch hurts much if anything.

Given that your c8ae-h heads are already rebuilt, I'd go with it.
Unless you have plans for the 352.
Ironically, the 352 is a better home for the c8ae-h heads, and the 390 a better home for the c4ae-g heads, but not that much diff.