Author Topic: Drag Week 2017 for the 68 Cougar  (Read 7426 times)

Hemi Joel

• View Profile
Re: Drag Week 2017 for the 68 Cougar
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 10:16:14 PM »
Congrats, Scott. That is an awesome accomplishment that you should be proud of! :)

XR7

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 03:27:02 PM »
Good job to all involved, thanks for representing the FE crowd! I am impressed that you got the cars weight down to 3250 w/driver. My 68 Cougar is 300 pounds heavier. I know you have an aluminum block but am curious where else you were able to remove weight. I see you have the headlight doors "gutted" and maybe a fiberglass bumper? What else?

On your rear suspension... I think you are doing very well to hook a small tire with leaf springs and that kind of power. A 1.26 is nothing to sneeze at for this kind of suspension. I am assuming you have the Caltrac bars and mono leafs, if you do not have double adjustable rear shocks I would get a good pair with lots of travel so they don't ever top out.

I know on the Shelby stocker I run, that if I try and launch (foot brake w/ 2 step), at anything over 3100 RPM it is going to do one of two things... go on the bumper or blow the tires off. When the track is good I usually launch at 2700 or it will go high and stay high until it comes down and smashes the oil pan and headers. I always have to shift into second gear in the air (on a normal run) or it will run past the gear and come down and bounce hard. It has a C4 with low first gear set, not sure what the converter stall is.

On my Cougar it is a 4 speed so with a clutch a different animal as far as RPM and launching, etc.
68 Cougar XR7 GT street legal, 9.47@144.53, 3603# at the line, 487 HR center oiler, single carb, Jerico 4 speed, 10.5 tires, stock(er) suspension, all steel full interior

jems68

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:14:55 PM »
Yep headlight doors are gutted, strange disc brakes on all 4 wheels and fiberglass bumpers. We installed lighter front tires in front and saved 10 lbs and replaced the 36 lb battery with an EarthX battery that weights only 3.9 lbs went with a lighter trans cooler did a little more scraping on the undercoating and all that added up to almost 50 lbs lighter than last year. Scott may have lost a couple lbs also. Also we are running QA1 double adjustable shocks in the rear and strange double adjustable in the front. But it is just unbelievable how much the rear is twisting. We have some ideas how to stop that so hope they work.

Jack

jgkurz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 12:04:59 PM »
Congrats to the Miller's for the win. I was following both your cars on the LiveFeed all week. It's simply amazing that the FE can still win in a sea of LS's, Hemi's, SBC's, BBC's..etc. Honestly I think it's a testament to the people in the FE community more than the FE itself.

I am looking forward to hearing how the rearend/suspension changes help. Does anyone have a picture of Jack or Scott's engine?

-John

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:16:33 PM by jgkurz »

KjcfeF100

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
Is Scott's car using the Calvert mono-leaf springs and CalTracs?

jgkurz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 04:26:18 PM »
Congrats to the Miller's for the win. I was following both your cars on the LiveFeed all week. It's simply amazing that the FE can still win in a sea of LS's, Hemi's, SBC's, BBC's..etc. Honestly I think it's a testament to the people in the FE community more than the FE itself.

I am looking forward to hearing how the rearend/suspension changes help. Does anyone have a picture of Jack or Scott's engine?

-John

I got a picture of the engine in Scott's Cougar.  Droool... :o

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:30:44 PM by jgkurz »

millerptl

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »
Sorry, everybody. I got back to Virginia and dove right back into work. I'm trying to remember everybody's questions. The rear gear is a 4:30, I was still going through the traps at about 8000 rpm. I need to do some calculating to see if my torque converter is slipping too much. I do run mono leaf caltrak setup. Like my dad said though my rearend is rotation severely, the wheelie bar almost touches the ground before the front tires come off the ground, this is making the pinion angle too steep. The rockers are getting fatigued, this is the 3rd year on them, only the 1.80 intakes broke. We are going to try to have T&D make a small design change on the rockers. I really need to find an overdrive solution for the highway, does anyone make a lockup racing torque converter? I would love to know. Anyways, we will take what we learned and try to refine the car a little more, I have too, Frank Beck with Beck racing engines is building a chevelle to compete in this class next year. He might be able to build a BBC with more horsepower but if I can get this car to 60' in the low 1.20's I can still be competitive, I have been 1.25 before so a better suspension setup should help. Thank you all for your kind words.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 08:03:36 PM »
Pictures from various sites.

Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

jgkurz

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »
I really need to find an overdrive solution for the highway, does anyone make a lockup racing torque converter? I would love to know.

Hi Scott, I use a 4R70W behind my stroker 427. It was built by Broader Performance in TX and uses an FE bell without an adapter. It has a Circle D triple disk lockup that seems to work well. My converter was built to lockup 3rd gear going through the traps or when I'm cruising on the freeway. I haven't put a lot of miles on the setup yet, but initial testing has been positive. My transmission was built for the 600HP range so far less then you need. Maybe a 4R70W could be built to hold 1000hp. I really don't know. I would guess the turbo/nitrous mod-motor crowd would know how to make them very strong. A Gear Vendors OD would almost certainly hold the power but that's a very different approach. I hope that helps. Feel free to IM me if you want all the gory details.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:09:25 PM by jgkurz »

mbrunson427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 10:23:07 AM »
I really need to find an overdrive solution for the highway, does anyone make a lockup racing torque converter? I would love to know.

Scott, what you're after is a mechanical diode style torque converter. They can do all sorts of stuff with them. I believe the turbo guys use them to lock up at the top of the track. The 64 fairlane we run has a torque converter from TCT. It's setup to lock out for street driving. So when we drive it on the street it'll lock up if you're just cruising along.

http://www.torqueconvertertechnology.com/
Mike Brunson
BrunsonPerformance.com