Author Topic: Long term fiberglass hood storage questions.  (Read 712 times)

cleandan

• View Profile
Long term fiberglass hood storage questions.
« on: May 08, 2021, 07:43:06 AM »
I have a factory fiberglass hood I need to crate for long term storage.
The hood is off a 2006 Mustang Shelby GT-H with factory paint and vinyl stripes.
It is in excellent condition.

I am wondering about long term storage damage potential and how to mitigate such things.
I have a few options in mind for storage.

1) Fully bag, with dessicant, then build a crate to cradle and protect the hood as needed.
With this option I am wondering if the bag may interact with the paint and stripes, causing issues after a few years. I am wondering if any of the supports built into the crate to cradle the hood in place will leave witness marks, impressions, or other such damage after a few years.
If I use some stiff foam insulation (think pink board style) will that interact with the paint or fiberglass to eventually have a detrimental chemical reaction.

2) Bag and dessicant the hood then hang from the wall via the factory hood mount holes.
Here I wonder if the hood may warp and change shape after years of hanging from the few factory mounting holes?

3) Bring in the house and hang from the wall as decoration?
Same basic warp issues as before except the hood is now open and exposed to whatever within the house. I'm not so worried about the hood getting damaged from being exposed in the house as I am warpage or other issues from being hung for years on end.

If I built the crate and cradle the hood are there any better materials to build with that will literally touch the hood and paint?
Any and all useful information is appreciated.

If the weather where you are is as nice as MN today I hope you will be doing something fun with your cars today.

Thanks

gregaba

• View Profile
Re: Long term fiberglass hood storage questions.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 10:16:18 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the paint to much as the new paints and clear coating are very durable.
What I would worry about is warpage.
Back in the 70's I owned 5 Corvetts and the hoods, trunklid and doors on them would warp if left in the same storeage position for a year or so.
You will need to build a good support structure following the lines of the hood and set the hood on it. If you have any up and down motion the hood will eventally sag into that position and warp to follow the contour of the stand.
I would not use styrofoam of other materials of that type but would line my stand where the hood touch's with carpet.
The other concern I have is the vinyl decals. They hold up real good on the car but when you seal it up in a bag will draw moisture and will go bad, so I would not bag it in plastic but use canvass. Take it out every year and wash and wax it and restore it.
Weather here is great but I am welding a 20x20 addition to my shop so no working or driving cars today.
Greg