Author Topic: Cobra LeMans valve cover availablity?  (Read 2140 times)

MeanGene

• View Profile
Cobra LeMans valve cover availablity?
« on: April 02, 2022, 11:12:36 AM »
Just did some searching for current prices as I have a couple sets to sell next weekend, didn't find much. Tony Branda call with no price, didn't find them at all on Summit- are they just out of supply, discontinued, ??? They have been on Summit for a long time, seem to be gone

JacksFordParts

• View Profile
Re: Cobra LeMans valve cover availablity?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 12:24:14 PM »
Everywhere I know of selling new covers is out. Branda doesn't make his and his supplier is out. Blue thunder hasn't made there versions for a while either.

So used is worth more money currently for sure.

thatdarncat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 01:05:38 PM »
Ford Motorsports has been marketing the ‘68 & later version, not sure what the current supply is, but searching under the Motorsports part number turns up some hits, and at least shows what the retail price is at those places. Try searching M-6582-B.
Kevin Rolph

1967 Cougar Drag Car ( under constuction )
1966 7 litre Galaxie
1966 Country Squire 390
1966 Cyclone GT 390
1968 Torino GT 390
1972 Gran Torino wagon
1978 Lincoln Mk V

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 06:13:16 AM »
Discontinued by Ford.  Ansen makes them and only sells them on eBay.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2022, 06:33:08 AM »
Discontinued by Ford.  Ansen makes them and only sells them on eBay.

And the lettering doesn't look the same anymore.
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2022, 11:08:59 AM »
Sorry for the hijack, I have a question for the folks looking for valve covers out there.  About 3 years ago I did a production run of 200 sand cast pentroof style valve covers.  I offered them plain, with any number of caps, with the caps machined for K&N style breathers or AN fittings or a PCV valve, and also provided the options of fins and custom engraving on the valve covers.  I sold out of them about a year and a half ago.

Six months ago I decided to make some more.  Unfortunately, the foundry I was using for the valve covers was no longer interested in doing "small" production runs, and wanted me to order at least 500 valve covers or they wouldn't be interested in casting them.  In addition, the pricing they quoted me was through the roof, something like a 70% increase in the cost of each casting. 

I went looking elsewhere and the local foundry that I use for my intake adapters, timing covers, and cylinder heads said they would be interested in doing some.  However, after looking at the tooling for casting the valve covers, they determined that they couldn't use it.  So, if I was going to have them cast more, I'd have to pay for brand new tooling for the foundry.  This is probably an $8K-$10K investment.

Further, their pricing was also pretty high.  The foundries have had to raise their wages to keep employees, and aluminum recently hit an all time high in cost.  For example, last time I had the valve covers cast I was able to sell the plain version, no caps or engraving, for $289 per pair.  They would probably be $399 per pair now, and with two oil caps they would be $469 per pair.

This seems like a lot of money to me, for a pair of valve covers.  I'm not sure I'd want to pay that much.  Are there people out there who would be interested at these prices?  The only way I could swing this would be to get a deposit from any customers, to cover the tooling costs up front.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.  There are pictures of some of the valve covers I've done in the following thread, starting on page 7, and also a link to some ordering information on the last page of the thread.  The pricing on the ordering info is not current, of course.

http://fepower.net/simplemachinesforum/index.php?topic=4737.0
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2022, 12:28:37 PM »
Maybe reconsider materials?
Could they survive using printed material?
Could they be made from carbon fiber, maybe laid in the same molds used for the clear plastic covers...by the way, I'm interested in a set of the clear covers if any are left.

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2022, 06:22:45 PM »
Some of Jay’s custom work with cast covers.

https://postimg.cc/Vds1z1v8
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

428kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 07:46:58 AM »
Jay people will always pay for quality parts. I dont think the price listed is to far out for quality parts, plus there made right here in the USA. Id pay more for stuff made here , just my .02 cents.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »
I agree, there is still a market for them. Especially with the semi-finished inventory and custom "lettering". They may not sell as fast, but I don't think you would go wrong doing another production run.

PLemoine

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 12:27:39 AM »
Jay, I’ll take a pair of clear pentroof valve covers along with my Tunnelport heads.

Dumpling

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 06:08:15 PM »
Jay, I’ll take a pair of clear pentroof valve covers along with my Tunnelport heads.

I'll take a cleartop set, with the bolt tunnels milled down to use with studs and clearance for a brake master. Baffled. I PCV & 1 oil fill cap.

jayb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • FE Power
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 06:16:33 PM »
I may, at some point, try to get the clear pentroof covers to production, but my first attemps have not resulted in the quality that I want.  On the cast covers, I won't be making any more of the clear top versions, and it has been so difficult to get castings that I don't anticipate having the cast versions again for some time.  Sorry guys, best I can do at this point...
Jay Brown
- 1969 Mach 1, Drag Week 2005 Winner NA/BB, 511" FE (10.60s @ 129); Drag Week 2007 Runner-Up PA/BB, 490" Supercharged FE (9.35 @ 151)
- 1964 Ford Galaxie, Drag Week 2009 Winner Modified NA (9.50s @ 143), 585" SOHC
- 1969 Shelby Clone, Drag Week 2015 Winner Modified NA (Average 8.98 @ 149), 585" SOHC

Dubs1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 10:30:16 AM »
Hello Gene

Awhile back you mentioned that you have a 67/68 mustang , holly   600 cfm  available for sale.  Pls give me pricing  and  any are still available.
Dubs  7208393477   ltduba@hotmail.com

Many thanks

Larry