Author Topic: Bulk race fuel, where do you get it, and questions about octane types...  (Read 4975 times)

Posi67

• View Profile
I've had 2 drums in my attached garage on several occasions which isn't exactly legal around here but as long as I die in the ensuing fire I don't think they can come after me. I know of guys who will roll a drum out of the truck box onto some tires but not for me. I get my engine hoist and a rather sketchy tow strap configuration to unload.

As for shelf life... 2 years easy as long as it's in a air tight drum. Plastic containers a lot less. Oxygenated fuel like Q-16 are likely good for 6 months tops. Never had an issue with transport but then don't take more than 15 gallons at a time with me plus what is in the car.   

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
VP is good,, also check for a local Sunoco dealer.  Sunoco 110 is specified for 13:1.  So VP 110 should work as well.  At 13:1 you won't be mixing it with pump fuel IMHO.
 I can mix 50:50 with local 91 to keep from peppering plugs at 10.5:1.  If I ran the 12:1 dragster 393 on gas, it'd be straight 110. 

Around here Sunoco 110, it's about $440/barrel and it keeps very well in a sealed barrel.  At the track it is $9.50/gallon.  All I keep here now is Sunoco Methanol because I don't run the door car enough to justify 54 gallons of 110 sitting around.  Have 65 gallons of methanol in the shed right now.  That's $180/barrel or was last year.  And more than enough to freak out the FD if they knew about it.  Probably ought to get some window stickers for the shed since there is a mower, tiller and usually 15~20 gallons of pump fuel in there too.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:08:57 PM by Falcon67 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
At 13:1 you won't be mixing it with pump fuel IMHO.

The next engine absolutely will not be raced with a 50/50 mix, like my current 10.5:1 engine, but it will be ran on the street with straight 93 and a conservative tune, for Drag Week ventures. At the track, it'll be switched over to straight race gas.

A few years ago, we had a fire at a local guys garage/barn (he lived in the country). In it, he had a few tanks of oxy/acetelyn, like most every farmer and gearhead has. While the fire department was fighting the fire, one of the tanks exploded. Luckily, nobody was harmed, but it made a hell of an impression on everyone. Since then, I've kept all my tanks of oxygen and acetelyn and fuel jugs in one corner of my building, at the nearest corner where they would pull in if fighting a fire. I did that so it would be easiest to keep that corner from overheating and exploding a tank...in theory anyway, provided they got there in time. I certainly don't want people getting killed, because usually I have 6 oxy and acetelyn tanks, and about 40-60 gallons of different fuels at any given time in there, which is probably enough to turn the building into toothpicks and coiled steel. :o
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Heo

• View Profile
I have the oxy/acetyle/argon tanks right next to the door so i can pull them out
or shoot a hole in them in case of a fire.
The fire department dont go near a burning building where there is tanks, they let it burn

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it