Author Topic: Bulk race fuel, where do you get it, and questions about octane types...  (Read 4971 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Unexpected update. Today I had to run near the place that sells Turbo Blue, so I decided to take 2 empty VP cans with me to fill up. The price was $7.99 a gallon. That is cheaper than all the other similar fuels that I found online before taxes and shipping! And it's cheaper than it was last year by almost $2, despite an uptick in cost of regular pump gas of .50 cents in the last few days. Needless to say, every trip I make near the place, I will be filling up some cans. Now all I need to do is find a sealable drum to store it in.

Turbo Blue is listed as 100 octane, so it won't work in the new engine, but when mixed 50/50 with Premium it works good in my current iron headed engine at 10.5:1. It stops run-on issues and plug peppering in my current, mostly stock 427. I'm still gonna have to find a source for 110.

For those that get race fuel locally, I don't know if prices have dropped in your areas, but it may be worth checking out. I saved about $20 in 11 gallons, and I didn't even have to switch to Geico!
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile
Luckily I have a VP distributor in town.  I take my old 55 gal drum over and fill it up every spring with 112.  Right at $7.99 or so for the past few years.  Seems the bill is $350+ to fill it up(never really empty it every year anymore).

I bought a good drum hand pump to fill my 5 gal cans I keep in the trailer.  Works out well.  I bet I still have 25 gals left over from last summers short season.  This year looks short too and no hurry to fill my drum yet.

I have asked in the past and they keep their supply filled year around for the most part.  I typically call them early April to confirm.

We had a few stations carrying Turbo Blue also.  I haven't had to buy any for quite some time, though I used to spritz some in the blue truck every once and a while. I remember it being like $3/gal back then!!!
Larry

cjshaker

• View Profile
Larry, I swear, you live in one of the best places for racers. Summit, build shops, fuel distributors, all within a short drive of you.

The nearest VP distributor I can find is in Sidney, which is 1 hour from me. Not that bad, I suppose, but hauling a 55 gallon drum of race fuel, in the back of a truck, going down I-75, I wonder if I'd run into any problems with the law? So far, looking local has not produced any results.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

6667fan

• Every Second Counts
    • View Profile
I know this is of no help Doug but Sunoco stations in CT. sell five gallon pails and some even have pumps set up with either 100 no lead or 110 leaded. You can pump it into a container for $10 a gallon or go inside the store where it is stacked next to the register for $15 a gallon! These are convenience stores with fuel, not gas stations.
That sort of action does NOT fly in Massachusetts where I live.

JB
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 05:01:32 PM by 6667fan »
JB

67 Fairlane 500
482 cid 636/619.
Tunnel Wedge, Survival EMC CNC heads, Lykins Custom Hydraulic Roller, Ram adjustable clutch, Jerico 4-spd, Strange third member with Detroit Locker, 35 spline axles, 4.86
10.68@125.71 1.56 60’

bugsbunny

• View Profile
North of Lima at the junction of Rt 65 and Rt 115 is a Certified / Sunoco station (at least that's what it used to be, may be different brand now) that had a pump for racing fuel. If memory serves correctly it was 100 or 108 octane. I haven't been there in 5 yrs so cannot confirm its present state of existence but that's not too far from your neck of the woods Doug. Might be worth a field trip to confirm.

Stangman

• View Profile
I have a speed shop near me that sells all different grades of VP racing fuel. The only problem your paying New York prices.
I believe C-12 is on sale regularly 96.00 now 88.99 for a 5 Gallon pail. Shit a 55 gallon drum on line is 500. You just have to pick it up. Or we can all have Larry supply the FE Forum ;).

wowens

• View Profile
We have two stations in town that pump Sonoco 110 and Silver Dollar Raceway is 21 miles away with multiple choices. I drive 8 miles, fill up the 16 gal tank and 2 or 3 five gal cans.
Woody

Posi67

• View Profile
You guys have it easy.. As mentioned, stupid prices here because of the taxes, duty, and exchange rate. A guy was complaining to my Comp Eliminator buddy (who runs C-25) about the price of fuel and Howie just looked sideways and said...  If that's your biggest problem then you're in the wrong sport. I don't like it but it is what it is.

fekbmax

• View Profile
I'm lucky I guess. Langley race way (roundly round) right down the street. They get me the sunoco drum at cost no shipping.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
North of Lima at the junction of Rt 65 and Rt 115 is a Certified / Sunoco station (at least that's what it used to be, may be different brand now) that had a pump for racing fuel. If memory serves correctly it was 100 or 108 octane. I haven't been there in 5 yrs so cannot confirm its present state of existence but that's not too far from your neck of the woods Doug. Might be worth a field trip to confirm.

Bugs, that is exactly where I get the Turbo Blue, only I think it's a Marathon now. They did a remodel about a year ago and the name changed, but honestly, I didn't even look at it. Last Fall, after being closed all year, I was only interested in seeing that they still offered the fuel and didn't even notice the name.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 12:01:37 AM by cjshaker »
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

cleandan

• View Profile
Larry, I swear, you live in one of the best places for racers. Summit, build shops, fuel distributors, all within a short drive of you.

The nearest VP distributor I can find is in Sidney, which is 1 hour from me. Not that bad, I suppose, but hauling a 55 gallon drum of race fuel, in the back of a truck, going down I-75, I wonder if I'd run into any problems with the law? So far, looking local has not produced any results.

Make a nice stencil and paint "Used cooking oil" on the side of your race fuel drum.

If you ever get caught, and if they ever decide to dip the tank, and if they choose to take the matter further, just tell them this was a drum you had laying around and you used it for fuel because it was nice a clean inside.

CDXXVII

• View Profile
What's the shelf life on this stuff?

I don't think I would buy more than I would use in 3-4 months.

BattlestarGalactic

• View Profile

Ya, that is why when I think I want to move to warmer climate....I quickly realize that I would lose out on all my perks around here!

As for hauling my drum in my pickup.  I don't sweat it, though I'm only going 20 minutes away.  It's just a plain drum on the sides, only the top says VP on it.  As long as its sealed, it should not be a problem.  I'm pretty sure there are regulations on hauling it, but I think only 55 gals is way under any issue.  I think it has to be up in the hundreds of gallons before it is a problem.

The fun part is getting the full drum out of the truck.  I keep a couple old tires around, remove the tailgate, lean the drum over on its side and roll it off onto the tires.  Ya, the drum is a bit worse for wear looking but have no other way to do it.  I suppose I could use the engine crane?  That sounds like a lot of work for little reward.  ;)

Shelf life?
I still have left over in my drum over winter, along with what is in the car over the winter.  Never have worried.  Runs the same no matter what.
Larry

Rory428

• View Profile
For hauling a 55 gallon drum, I lay the drum on its side , so its not noticable , as it is below the side of the box.No sense drawing attention to yourself! To unload the drum from my truck, remove the tailgate, and lay a couple of 2 x4s on the trucks rear bumper, and roll it down the ramp. A buddy does use his engine hoist, with an old serpentine belt looped round the drum as a pick up point. sounds kinda sketchy, but he has been using the same serp. belt for years for picking up iron BB Chevy, 460 Fords, and MoPar Hemi blocks by looping the belt thru the main bearing bores with no issues.                                                                                                                            Regarding shelf life, I have used VP C12 that has been inside the 55 gallon drum for 2 years that ran as good as fresh gas, although if you race in a class where Tech performs fuel check several times over the course of a weekend, like Stock or Super Stock, at a National event or division points meet, I would look for fresher fuel, or at least take a sample to the fuel check team BEFORE your first time trial, to make sure it will pass. If your fuel fails fuel check, (or is a couple of pounds light), that qualifying run will be considered a DQ.                                                           Buying the race gas in 5 gallon cans, at least for VP, is typically much more costly per gallon, than compared to a 55 gallon drum.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
VP says their fuel is good for 2-3 years, probably depending on how it's stored. The Turbo Blue I use doesn't seem to be affected for at least a couple years. I'd always try to keep it sealed and out of sunlight though. Since it's all leaded, non-ethanol, just like the days of yore, I'd assume that pretty much all those types are good for at least 2 years (although keeping Rorys caveats in mind).

Even mixing it 50/50, 110 gallons of gas certainly won't make it more than 2 years for me. Not at 7-8 mpg it won't..lol
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe