Author Topic: Block back from machine shop  (Read 2276 times)

gregaba

• View Profile
Block back from machine shop
« on: October 23, 2020, 06:51:22 PM »
I picked my 428 block up last Saturday after having it blueprinted. I just finished inspecting it and am supper happy with the work done.
Every measurement was right on and there was some minor flash rust from it sitting for 10 years in my shop. There is none on the block now.
I like the quality of work so much I am going to have him balance the crank assembly as soon as my pistons come in.
The reason I am happy with the work done is I have had it in 3 so called machine shops in the Oklahoma and the work done was so sub par I had given up on doing anything with this block. The last race shop in Norman Okla. said my block was junk and I needed to find another one. So much for Chevy machine shops. The funny thing is I had used that shop in the eightys to do all my machine work and they did excellent work, but the dad died and the son just does not have his know how.
If anyone needs any machine work in the Arlington Tx area you might give Charles machine shop a look. I have nothing to do with this shop except having them do my work. Be prepared to wait a while to get the work done as he is a one man shop. I left my block there in late June and he just got it finished because he is perty well booked up.
Greg

hhiibel

• View Profile
Re: Block back from machine shop
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 08:56:17 PM »
so at thumbs up for charles. but please elaborate on.... well... the bias you’ve encountered.

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 08:01:13 AM »
I was sort of in your neck of the woods all last week.  Had some work to do in Greenville, TX.  Probably will go there regularly until the end of the year.  Quite a lightning show yesterday morning!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
I don't think there was any bias shown but a lack of knowledge and an inability to do the work. If it is a chevy then they can sort of do the work but if they have to make a change in their machines to accommodate a Ford then they just don't want to do it.
The work I have seen in the last 20 to 30 years by the shops in this area has been so sub par that I won't use them any more.
There is no pride in the work they do, all that they do is the least amount of work to get the job out the door and get the cash in their hands.
While working as a line mechanic for a great shop a few years ago I sent a set of heads from a chevy v-6 to a shop for a touch up valve job.
It came back with every valve crocked and set into the seat quit a bit.
I refused to accept the heads and install them on the customers car. This was in 87 or 88 and that is when I noticed the quality of work going to hell.
Well that is my machine shop rant for today.
I used to live in Greenville which is about 6 hour's from where I live now. Nice town but I remember driving 35 miles to another county to buy my beer and Jack Daniels.
Reminds me that when I lived there I would pass a 64 Ford 427 going the other way on my way to work. Black with a bubble scope. This was in 65 so it was a real one. All ways wanted to check that car out a little closer but only saw it on the way to work. Did notice the 427 script on the car though.
Greg

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 02:16:10 AM »
I'm glad Charles Eller worked out for you. I knew you'd be happy with his work. I've had several very poor machinist do piss-poor work here. He's an FE guy too. Fair prices and quality work.
'

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 10:20:31 AM »
I could not be happier with his work. I was leery about taking it down there after my past experiences in the last 15 years.
I was surprised to find out he had a 64 427 straight axle gasser in the past and a timing slip showing he had gone over 140 in the quarter with his 64 Thunderbolt. 
Said he would fire it up for me next time I go down there.
Made me not mind the 7 hour round trip drive
I can highly recommend him, as he does excellent work and everything is right on.
Should get my pistons next week so I can get the assembly balanced and the short block together.
I wish we had more quality shops like in the 70's and 80's as then you could send any jobs to any machine shop and it would be right.
I guess those were the good old days.
Greg

fe-starliner

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
I have to give a +1 for the work of Charles Eller.  I've known him for about 35 years and he's done machine work / balancing on several of my previous FE's.  Just this past July I was assembling the 352 for my '68 F-100 and couldn't get the crank / rod bearing clearances right.  I took the rotating assembly and block to Charles .  He phoned me the next day and told me the problem was "clearance stackup".  I'd heard of that before but never encountered it.  I told him to go ahead and assemble the short block and he had it finished in about a week....and that included ordering new .060 pistons and rings.  I can guarantee that he will NOT do a job unless he can do it right.  He's told me that, whenever I wanted to cut corners.  Prices are very fair.
1960 Starliner, 406-6V, TKO-600, 4.11 9"
1961 Starliner, 427 4V, SS700 5 speed, 4.56 9"
1968 F-100 SWB, 352 4V, C6, 3.25 9"
2012 Mustang, 226" V6, 6 speed auto, 3.31 8.8"

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
I was just over seeing Mr. Eller today. He was milling my water pump and went though the casting. I had to take it to a welder and drop it off. I am going to pick it up tomorrow and let him clean up the spotface.

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 11:13:23 AM »
I went and saw him today. He dropped everything to mill my water pump to clear the factory lateral bracket. The information provided by Edelbrock was incorrect. The thickness at the nose was about .160. not .580. He milled through to the water passage. I had to take the polished edelbrock pump and have a plug welded in.  He felt bad about it, but it wasn't his fault.

gregaba

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 08:31:09 AM »
I need to talk him into moving his ahop to my little town. Sounds like he has to much work in Arlington.
Greg

Keith Stevens

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2020, 03:53:24 PM »
No, you can't have him.  He's staying. Too many Chevy morons here. I let you borrow him for your block. That's all you get..  ;D