Author Topic: Back story of the 427 engines to beat Ferrari (found on internet)  (Read 3060 times)

hwoods

• View Profile
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

feracer

• View Profile
Re: Back story of the 427 engines to beat Ferrari (found on internet)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 08:16:49 PM »
I didnt know there was more than 1 pro stock maverick. Who was the second one?

475fetoploader

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:08:30 PM »
Al Joniec? but I believe there were several 427 Pro Stock Mavericks maybe only 2 Factory Drag team cars. I think Detroit was about finished having a Drag Council by 1970.  Oh maybe Dick Loerh?  I think Dick Brannan went to a Boss 429 for his Maverick effort.
1967  Fairlane Tunnel Wedge on Proports.
1975 4x4 461 f.e. 4speed Dual Quads on 38’s
Love many, Trust few. Always paddle your own canoe.

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:26:08 PM »
   Dyno Don , Ed Schartman, Hubert Platt, Ed Terry. Dick Loehr , Al Joniec , Darrel Droke, Hedman Headers. Gapp and Roush was a Boss and Schartman later went to one as well. There  were indepensents too like Sam Auxier jr (Tunnel port).

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:46:02 PM »
There were lots of Pro Stock Mavericks back then. Question is though how many, if any, were actually FoMoCo authorized if not built. By that time, DST was no longer building F/C's nor long-nosed Mustangs as that effort ended years before. One of the most famous and winningest Mavs of all time was Dyno Don's all-conquering SOHC powered, Kaase tuned car. IIRC, it held the best win/loss record of all the Pro Stocks, including some mighty tough competition in Sox & Martin and Bill Jenkins.     

Per Wikipedia:

"Nicholson converted a Jerry Harvey 1966 A/FX Ford Mustang to Super Stock, and used the car to win Street in A/Modified Production at the 1969 Springnationals.[2] The popularity of the 9 second heads-up racers led to NHRA forming Pro Stock in 1970.[2] Nicholson prepared at Ford Maverick for the Winternationals in seven days, but did not win. The car was dominant on the match racing circuit, winning 45 straight rounds.[2][clarification needed]

Nicholson's Maverick earned Ford's first NHRA Pro Stock win at the Summernationals in 1971.[2] He switched to a 351 Cleveland-powered Pinto for 1972."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 12:49:29 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 02:28:13 PM »
  Bob ,
    DST built one A/FX Mustang the rest were built at HM Charlotte under the direction of John Wanderer. I got the whole scoop from John during the law suit on the ownership of the gas Rhonda "long nose". Logghe built the Comets and later Mustangs and Cougars. According to a retired Ford engineer there were 9 specially made Maverick bodies built and supplied to "contract racers". Jon Kaase did not come to Dyno's until late '76. It was Earl Wade(rip) that helped Dyno build and run the Mavericks. ( Yes he ended up with two). The Mavericks were the third generation "door cars" he raced after the Cougar funny car. The first being the ex Jerry Harvey A/FX Mustang , the second being the "one of two" '69 Cougars. The Pintos were the fourth generation. Then '70 "loop hole" Mustang Followed by the Mustang II , Fairmont and finally the '79 Mustang. Don and I were pretty close friends.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:20:27 PM »
Yes....

-DST built one A/FX Mustang (true) the rest were built at HM Charlotte (agreed, but I was talking primarily about Mavericks, not Stangs). One must keep in mind the long passage of time as the 1970's Mavericks came WAY after the earlier Cammer equipped, first on gas then later on nitro race cars.

And yes Logghe built F/C's (Schartman, Nicholson, et al) as they later became known, for factory Ford racers and even dragsters for Kalitta and even their own "in-house" Cammer-equipped F.E.D. dragster run solely in the MI area ("Prussian" driver Maynard Rupp).   

My Ford folks at the time would have disputed the 9 Maverick "bodies built and supplied".

No doubt Ford supplied bodies-in-white to named racers yet these were not race cars, not even close. All the chassis and rollbar additions were made elsewhere, often by the racers themselves (Ed Schartman in particular, in his own garage). As your own statement makes clear, Earl W (my bad, not Kaase as I erroneously stated) did help 'build' Dyno's Mav....as often noted in NHRA lore, Don did so in a mere 7 days after NHRA announced the "Pro Stock" class that would be 1st run at the Winternationals.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 03:48:22 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

gt350hr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 04:26:51 PM »
     Dyno's  first Maverick came off of Foulger's lot as a brand new assembly line car. IIRC Sherm did it at M&S. The second one had the "special body" and might have been done at Hardy's. It was only 50 years ago. Number two was the better car.