Author Topic: Having your shop at your house vs. not at your house  (Read 7607 times)

MRadke

• View Profile
Re: Having your shop at your house vs. not at your house
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »

WoW..
Cause tattoo shops  have so much in common with drug houses.
SMH.
[/quote]

Don't take offense.  I don't have anything against people with tattoos, but the last tattoo parlor that was next to me got busted for dealing drugs.  As with all things, your mileage might vary.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 01:37:15 AM »
No worries.
Homes, restaurant's, car shops, churches, day care centers, ect have all been busted for drugs and other activities at one time or another.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
No worries.
Homes, restaurant's, car shops, churches, day care centers, ect have all been busted for drugs and other activities at one time or another.

Even the Halifax Police can't keep the drugs locked up. All the drugs in the evidence locker have been lost. oops lmao

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
I posted awhile back about a building close to my home to get as a shop/storage unit. I haven't acted on it and am glad(procrastination does pay off sometimes!) since another building that is much nicer has come up sale about two blocks from me. The EMS service has been discontinued in my small town and the building housing the ambulances is up for sale. I am guessing it's probably a 40x60 cinder block building and is pretty nice. At $20,000 I consider it a real bargain.
 I have been weighing the pros and cons of having my shop not at my house and was wondering if any of you are doing that. It is for sale by owner so no MLS link but here are the GoogleMap coordinates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3923859,-97.2803588,3a,60y,3.44h,83.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1Nnit7fxR-VnAyaHEdISow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

BTW, there is no way you could build that for $20K.  That's a buy.  We are a small town too and there are a few "personal business" spaces scattered around.  The City may "care" but an occupied building paying taxes is 200% better than an empty building pulling in nothing.  We have a similar building that was a repair shop - nice location but they didn't pick up their junk and the city ran them off.  Pissed a lot of people off, but it did start to look like busted car hell pretty quick.  I'd put in on it, just tell them what your plan is and go with it.  If they get a better offer, that's how it goes.  And also, one that size here would be $60~75K in this town, maybe $100K in Abilene.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:56:22 AM by Falcon67 »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I found out the City owns the property and they basically want a "letter of intent" from any prospective buyer detailing what they are going to do with the property. I figure they are wanting to see a business there rather than someone buying it to store junk in or for personal use. While I could tell them anything to try and get the property I am not that kind of person. That was actually a concern of mine anyway...turning a potential business property into a personal shop.  Belle Plaine is a pretty small town and a number of the downtown business properties have turned into that already. So, I think I'll pass.
Alan, I'd reconsider before passing on it. As others posted talk to the people in charge, they may surprise you and it costs nothing to talk. Better to be told "no" than to wonder "what if". If that shop suits your purpose, even temporary ownership will allow you to build equity which is always good plus the tax benefits could be of help as well. I bet the city fathers might allow light auto repair for personal use if the front were kept clean and uncluttered and the building was occupied and on the tax rolls.