Author Topic: Having your shop at your house vs. not at your house  (Read 7608 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Having your shop at your house vs. not at your house
« on: August 01, 2016, 12:10:10 PM »
I posted awhile back about a building close to my home to get as a shop/storage unit. I haven't acted on it and am glad(procrastination does pay off sometimes!) since another building that is much nicer has come up sale about two blocks from me. The EMS service has been discontinued in my small town and the building housing the ambulances is up for sale. I am guessing it's probably a 40x60 cinder block building and is pretty nice. At $20,000 I consider it a real bargain.
 I have been weighing the pros and cons of having my shop not at my house and was wondering if any of you are doing that. It is for sale by owner so no MLS link but here are the GoogleMap coordinates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3923859,-97.2803588,3a,60y,3.44h,83.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1Nnit7fxR-VnAyaHEdISow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

My427stang

• View Profile
Re: Having your shop at your house vs. not at your house
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 12:23:31 PM »
I'd say it depends on your area and goals. 

For our businesses, my father and I ran our shops away from the house to keep people from using our home as an extension of the garage.  However, it adds a security requirement of some sort, even if it's just blocked windows and good doors.

For a personal shop, being away allows you to be a bit more "smelly and messy" within acceptable reason, it also allows sort of a man cave for fun car events, especially if it's got some size. I originally looked at buying or renting something in a commercial area, and almost signed a pretty affordable lease in a nice building that had 10 or so separate shops, but I felt it would make working on my own stuff feel more like a job and decided against it, not to mention the cost of renting without ownership.

We are in the process now of buying another home with land and potentially with or building a big outbuilding for both fun and income after I retire from the military in approx. 3 years.  It will be at my home, but intend a completely separate entry to make it clear when I am "not there" or working on my own stuff.

That being said, I really like cinder block buildings if in decent shape.  Fire concerns are low, "feels" like a shop to me, and the price looks real nice.  In addition to security, I'd be most concerned with the condition of windows, overhead doors, roof (big), concrete floor, and heat/air conditioning.  All of those can be pretty expensive and annoying if below par.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:25:07 PM by My427stang »
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
It will give you short beer runs atleast. ;D Looks like a nice building
an if there is no problem in that area with thefts so....And just two blocks
away....No neighbours that complain about noice and cars so....
I see  a early 50s Rambler  across the road

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:30:45 PM »
Shop away from home tends to let you focus more and have less destractions and actualy get work done while your there.
On the other hand it's not as convenient and you can't just run out to the shop and do something g real quick, do a small job when you only have a couple hours before having to do things with the family or for the house or those never ending Honey Doo list.
I think they both have there pros and cons. I do alot of my engine building and fabrication at my home shop but maintain the race car away from home, mostly for respect for the neighbor's because. Un corked Racing FE engine will sure shake a few pictures off the walls.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 06:42:40 PM »
It will give you short beer runs atleast. ;D

Ha! Nice catch!

$20K for that seems like a steal. Roof looks good, block looks pretty good, already got electric and I assume water and heat. Personally, I like having my shop at my house, but that would be hard to pass up.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Nightmist66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 09:03:32 PM »
I do alot of my engine building and fabrication at my home shop but maintain the race car away from home, mostly for respect for the neighbor's because. Un corked Racing FE engine will sure shake a few pictures off the walls.

Some people will complain about anything. ::)

Sounds good to me :) :)
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

FElony

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:35:19 PM »
Deleted
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:40:35 PM by FElony »

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
I like mine 20' away from the house.  Don't want to drive, don't want my race cars any distance away unless they are parked at a track.  I can set the AC to start up on the timers, come home, eat and go tinker if I want. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 09:35:25 AM by Falcon67 »

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 11:15:16 AM »
My shop is at my home.  Actually attached to my home.  If I want to go out and put an engine together in my underwear, that's what I do.  :)
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:46 AM »
That's convenient but to much info Brent. 

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 12:56:10 PM »
$20K is a steal for that shop. In my area that property would sell for $150-200K.  And considering what I had to pay to have my shop built [not including the price of the property it sits on] yours is almost like someone is paying you to take it off their hands. RE: shop at home vs not at home. I opt for the shop at home, no commuting, no hassle with firing up your car/truck to drive to the shop and if you can't sleep and want to tinker at 2AM ya walk 20 feet or so with coffee cup in hand and get to tinkering.

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 01:51:42 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I found out the City owns the property and they basically want a "letter of intent" from any prospective buyer detailing what they are going to do with the property. I figure they are wanting to see a business there rather than someone buying it to store junk in or for personal use. While I could tell them anything to try and get the property I am not that kind of person. That was actually a concern of mine anyway...turning a potential business property into a personal shop.  Belle Plaine is a pretty small town and a number of the downtown business properties have turned into that already. So, I think I'll pass.   

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
I would re think that.  At the very least, talk to the city officials about what you intend.  I will all but bet that their main intent is preventing it from becoming a tattoo parlor or drug house.  Besides, if someone wants to purchase it to put a business in, I'm sure that you could oblige them.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
I would re think that.  At the very least, talk to the city officials about what you intend.  I will all but bet that their main intent is preventing it from becoming a tattoo parlor or drug house.  Besides, if someone wants to purchase it to put a business in, I'm sure that you could oblige them.

WoW..
Cause tattoo shops  have so much in common with drug houses.
SMH.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

Cyclone03

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 06:15:19 PM »
My shop is at my home.  Actually attached to my home.  If I want to go out and put an engine together in my underwear, that's what I do.  :)

I hope iron doesn't have a memory.....
Lance H

MRadke

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 09:52:02 PM »

WoW..
Cause tattoo shops  have so much in common with drug houses.
SMH.
[/quote]

Don't take offense.  I don't have anything against people with tattoos, but the last tattoo parlor that was next to me got busted for dealing drugs.  As with all things, your mileage might vary.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 01:37:15 AM »
No worries.
Homes, restaurant's, car shops, churches, day care centers, ect have all been busted for drugs and other activities at one time or another.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:14:59 AM »
No worries.
Homes, restaurant's, car shops, churches, day care centers, ect have all been busted for drugs and other activities at one time or another.

Even the Halifax Police can't keep the drugs locked up. All the drugs in the evidence locker have been lost. oops lmao

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
I posted awhile back about a building close to my home to get as a shop/storage unit. I haven't acted on it and am glad(procrastination does pay off sometimes!) since another building that is much nicer has come up sale about two blocks from me. The EMS service has been discontinued in my small town and the building housing the ambulances is up for sale. I am guessing it's probably a 40x60 cinder block building and is pretty nice. At $20,000 I consider it a real bargain.
 I have been weighing the pros and cons of having my shop not at my house and was wondering if any of you are doing that. It is for sale by owner so no MLS link but here are the GoogleMap coordinates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3923859,-97.2803588,3a,60y,3.44h,83.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s1Nnit7fxR-VnAyaHEdISow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-US

BTW, there is no way you could build that for $20K.  That's a buy.  We are a small town too and there are a few "personal business" spaces scattered around.  The City may "care" but an occupied building paying taxes is 200% better than an empty building pulling in nothing.  We have a similar building that was a repair shop - nice location but they didn't pick up their junk and the city ran them off.  Pissed a lot of people off, but it did start to look like busted car hell pretty quick.  I'd put in on it, just tell them what your plan is and go with it.  If they get a better offer, that's how it goes.  And also, one that size here would be $60~75K in this town, maybe $100K in Abilene.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:56:22 AM by Falcon67 »

RJP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 02:53:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, guys. I found out the City owns the property and they basically want a "letter of intent" from any prospective buyer detailing what they are going to do with the property. I figure they are wanting to see a business there rather than someone buying it to store junk in or for personal use. While I could tell them anything to try and get the property I am not that kind of person. That was actually a concern of mine anyway...turning a potential business property into a personal shop.  Belle Plaine is a pretty small town and a number of the downtown business properties have turned into that already. So, I think I'll pass.
Alan, I'd reconsider before passing on it. As others posted talk to the people in charge, they may surprise you and it costs nothing to talk. Better to be told "no" than to wonder "what if". If that shop suits your purpose, even temporary ownership will allow you to build equity which is always good plus the tax benefits could be of help as well. I bet the city fathers might allow light auto repair for personal use if the front were kept clean and uncluttered and the building was occupied and on the tax rolls.