Author Topic: Got enough tools?  (Read 2892 times)

Lenz

• View Profile
Got enough tools?
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »
You can never have enough sockets or extensions at least.  Just so you '64 Galaxie owners know, if you aren't as slim and pliable as you were back in the day you may not be able to squeeze through the hole behind the back seat ::).  Therefore, it takes roughly 8 to 9 extensions (you may need 1 or 2 from a neighbor), a deep well socket, 2 beers and about 1/2 roll of cheap electrical tape secure it all to successfully remove the 2 bolts that fasten the trunk latch to the deck lid.  My preacher clip decided to jump off the lock assembly rendering the trunk lock inoperable.

The other thing you can do is check the condition of the assembly while it still works.  I did not find out how common this problem was on the '64's until I joined the club.
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

Heo

• View Profile
Re: Got enough tools?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
HAHA locked the keys in the trunk on mine
had to ask my son to crawl in.He told me
that next time i had to crawl in by  my self

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 04:12:25 PM »
lost the keys to my 63 & would you believe I have the original owners manual & somebody wrote the key code numbers in the manual like you're supposed to do. found a classic car key man on the web, sent him the #'s & got my new keys on ford blanks in about a week. & they even worked. wah-hoo.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

GJCAT427

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:46:14 PM »
Really Lenz?  I`m older than you and still crawl into some weird spaces at work. What hurts is the lower back from wrenching over the fenders! Been using a buddys garage and lift on the GTO. Helps on the brake and exhaust system.

Lenz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 08:10:41 AM »
lost the keys to my 63 & would you believe I have the original owners manual & somebody wrote the key code numbers in the manual like you're supposed to do. found a classic car key man on the web, sent him the #'s & got my new keys on ford blanks in about a week. & they even worked. wah-hoo.
Glad that worked out for you, proves there are some good vendors out there for sure.  Irony of mine is that I just had a second trunk key made a couple of weeks ago in case I lost or locked mine in.  Didn't matter how many keys I had and without the Trunk Monkey poised for action I was done.  -GJ, all too often I find myself twisted up or nearly pinned in some tight spots.  When I did the sophisticated math (how long an extension I could make and how long is that deck lid anyway???), it seemed the lesser of two evils by a long shot.  On cost of the operation I've got more black electrical tape than even an automotive junkie can use, get the stuff for Christmas and birthdays (what 5 grandkids can easily contribute to my "product shelf" ;D). 
Len Zielinski
'64 Galaxie 500 445 Toploader
'69 F100 300 stick

66FAIRLANE

• Andy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 12:15:00 AM »
HAHA locked the keys in the trunk on mine

Done that too................once.