Author Topic: Cammer Powered Trabant  (Read 9319 times)

FElony

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
Re: Cammer Powered Trabant
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:04:22 PM »
LOL! They did have a lot of room under that little hood, it might actually fit!

When I first started working for Saab, Bob Sinclair showed me his Trabant. I always thought the most interesting "feature" was the headlight dimmer. In order to select high beams or low beams you would stop the car, open the hood, and flip a lever on each headlamp assembly. Yes, really.

Lou
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

FElony

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 12:26:15 AM »
Y'know, if I had any self-respect at all, I wouldn't mention that I have added "Trabant" to my list of Craigslist searches. Getting tired of trying to find a Lada in AZ, maybe.

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:12 AM »
I have no shame. Before Saab, I worked for Yugo when they first started up in the U.S.!

Lou Manglass

FElony

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
Yugo!?!?! Geez, I can feel my own self-esteem rising up a notch, which I am unaccustomed to. Thanx, I think. Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150?

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
...  Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150?

Those little dents in the hood are from the spark plugs flying out.  Oh and while you're at it the coil packs are probably collecting disability.
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 02:13:24 PM »
 Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150

yeah, It's probably a 2005 5.4 F-150.

when truck prices went through the roof, I sent my 2005 5.4 f-150 down the road, with no regrets I may add.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

FElony

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 02:20:36 PM »
...  Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150?

Those little dents in the hood are from the spark plugs flying out.  Oh and while you're at it the coil packs are probably collecting disability.

I figured I'd see how Magic Lou's Ratchet actually is. That may not have come out right. Anyway, by '05 the plug thread issue had been fixed by Ford. I've already changed plugs, coils, and injectors. Problem is: runs smoothly until I have to depress the brake pedal more than lightly, then engine shakes and runs poorly for several miles. I can recreate this idling in the driveway, too. Depress the brake firmly and shudder/misfire. Subsequent pedal presses don't do anything, just the first time. Anybody?

FElony

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 02:23:55 PM »
Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150

yeah, It's probably a 2005 5.4 F-150.

when truck prices went through the roof, I sent my 2005 5.4 f-150 down the road, with no regrets I may add.

Yeah, I'd love to sell this, but can't until I fix the problem. See previous post. Would like a new truck, but the Fords are so overpriced and ugly that I may have to buy a Dodge.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
My guess would be the BPPS or brake pedal position sensor. It ties in with the PCM and lets the PCM know it should make adjustments to engine tune for reducing emmissions during braking. It is under the dash. FWIW good luck!

FElony

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 06:29:05 PM »
My guess would be the BPPS or brake pedal position sensor. It ties in with the PCM and lets the PCM know it should make adjustments to engine tune for reducing emmissions during braking. It is under the dash. FWIW good luck!

Searches for that on the Net got me nothing. Is this the switch that activates the brake lights?

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 07:07:03 PM »
Yep! It controls brake lights,cruise control and sends a signal to the PCM how hard you are applying the brakes. I have never replaced one on a Ford, but once on a Volvo. If the voltage signal is out of range the computer has a hard time trying to figure out exactly what you the driver are doing, but once it fiqures out that you are applying the brakes and fairly hard application it will be ok for a while. At least that was how Volvo used it.

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
"I figured I'd see how Magic Lou's Ratchet actually is."

Unfortunately, it has to be waved over the engine to work its magic. Unless you're near Atlanta, that's not likely to happen. Besides, its main purpose is to provide instant diagnosis for customers who just can't wait!

Lou
Lou Manglass

FElony

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 07:35:00 PM »
OK, thanks for the clue. I'll swap it out and let you know.

FElony

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 07:41:28 PM »
"I figured I'd see how Magic Lou's Ratchet actually is."

Unfortunately, it has to be waved over the engine to work its magic. Unless you're near Atlanta, that's not likely to happen. Besides, its main purpose is to provide instant diagnosis for customers who just can't wait!

Lou

I've been fighting this truck's nonsense for a year at this point, so patience is not an issue. Maybe I can wave my "smart" phone over the engine and send you the resulting cosmic vibes file (.cvf)? Good thing it's not my only transportation. I also have a sweaty donkey; a little cantankerous and smelly, but no damn computer.