Author Topic: Cammer Powered Trabant  (Read 9297 times)

Nightmist66

• View Profile
Re: Cammer Powered Trabant
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2016, 08:56:48 PM »
...  Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150?

Those little dents in the hood are from the spark plugs flying out.  Oh and while you're at it the coil packs are probably collecting disability.

No problems with plugs blowing out of 05's, they were 3v engines and those plugs don't want to come out. Usually they come out in pieces. Best way I have found to get them out is with my 3/8" air impact. Rarely ever have one break that way. If you use a ratchet, you are pretty much guaranteed they will break.(if original two-piece plugs) Yes, they did still have coil issues. Injector issues also. I have also done many timing jobs; Cam phasers, VCT solenoids, chains, guides, and tensioners. They are job security for me. I would never own a 5.4 3v, ever.
Jared

66 Fairlane GT 390 - .035" Over 390, Wide Ratio Top Loader, 9" w/spool, 4.86

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
You should be able to unplug the sensor (no brake lights though) and see if it still runs rough when on the brakes. That should tell you if your in the ballpark.

FElony

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »
...  Now can you please tell me what's wrong with my 2005 5.4 F-150?

Those little dents in the hood are from the spark plugs flying out.  Oh and while you're at it the coil packs are probably collecting disability.

No problems with plugs blowing out of 05's, they were 3v engines and those plugs don't want to come out. Usually they come out in pieces. Best way I have found to get them out is with my 3/8" air impact. Rarely ever have one break that way. If you use a ratchet, you are pretty much guaranteed they will break.(if original two-piece plugs) Yes, they did still have coil issues. Injector issues also. I have also done many timing jobs; Cam phasers, VCT solenoids, chains, guides, and tensioners. They are job security for me. I would never own a 5.4 3v, ever.

This whole mess started with a #7 misfire code at 125k. Fortunately, the plugs had been changed at some point (I bought with 99k on it), and the ones in there had anti-seize and came out real nicely. #7 had a little deposit on it that the others did not have. After reset, the CEL came back with the same code. Same story after coils and injectors. I picked up a CVPI to drive in the meantime. I started checking signal to injectors from the PCM, and discovered that the wire connector into #7 was inconsistent at the injector side, but fine before the actual plastic housing itself. So I put a new one in.

That seemed to solve the misfire in the driveway. Test drive seemed fine, but after a bit the CEL came back. At this point I had not noticed that braking had an effect yet. I reset the CEL and let the truck sit for a few weeks. A couple weeks I started it and began driving around. Had to apply brakes firmly for a stop light, and the engine chugged so badly it almost shut off. Into neutral and high revving for a bit helped, then another braking to go around a turn started a misfire again. Thought maybe bad brake booster, but it's working very well. The CEL has not come back on. Hopefully it's that brake switch. I've been around long enough to know that two or more things can be wrong at the same time.

I knew there were issues with these engines before I bought it. One of several reasons I did get it was the extreme lack of standard cab long beds around here that were not beat to death from work use. This puppy was Clean. Still is. Base XL strippo with a Tow Package. I moved 25 cars here from the old house with no drama at all. Not strong off the line, but OK from there. I put Hawk LTS pads all around on new Genuine Ford rotors, and I can't tell you how well this thing stops.

I few weeks ago, faced with moving another 20 cars with a gimped truck, I bought a '97 F250HD Crew Cab with a 460, E4OD, and a 4.10 Sterling. Older owner, very very maintained with records of 3k oil changes. You can eat off the engine. XLT with power everything. Both tanks filled all the way, I got 3/4 through tank one and, you guessed it, the CEL light came on. This is a 12/96 build, and the data connector does not power an OBD II reader. OBD I? The truck is down on power. There is a distinct possibility that the gas in there is many months old. ? Coolant level is up. All plugs, coils and injectors are spanking new. This is recent, and haven't researched fetching codes from OBD I.

Have I mentioned I hate sensor-laden compu-cars? Somebody shoot me, please. I see my email box filling up with volunteers, and I haven't even hit Post yet. Sheesh.

FElony

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 02:35:26 AM »
You should be able to unplug the sensor (no brake lights though) and see if it still runs rough when on the brakes. That should tell you if your in the ballpark.

Good idea. I found the changeout specifics for that exact model in YouTube, but I'll unplug it first. I don't need no steenking brake lights anyway.

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 09:18:41 PM »
I can't help you much with the 2005 but I think Katz427 has you headed in the right direction.

As far as the '97...I'm surprised that they were still using OBD 1 that late but it is an F-250 truck and I know there was some carryover. IIRC, you should be able to jump two terminals in the diagnostic connector and read the codes on the check engine light. You can also use an analog volt meter and read the pulses. Always start diagnosis by checking and reading the codes but just because you have an electronic fault code does not mean there isn't a mechanical problem causing it. e.g. 460's seemed to break rocker arms and bend pushrods without much provocation.

If you PM me your address, I have an OBD 1 code reader that I'm pretty sure I'll never use again. Be glad to send it your way and get it out of my garage.

Lou
Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

FElony

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 11:44:56 PM »

Well, you the Man, Katzenator! Was at old house earlier and unplugged switch. Drove around a few miles and no problems! Except for that Civic that slid under my bumper because I had no brake lights. No loss.

So, I'm guessing the old switch just gets stuck for a while, and then returns to normal after sitting for bit? Any particular brand for a replacement, or do they all come from the same supplier?

Thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks one more time.

FElony

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »
I can't help you much with the 2005 but I think Katz427 has you headed in the right direction.

Yes he certainly did. See previous post.

As far as the '97...I'm surprised that they were still using OBD 1 that late but it is an F-250 truck and I know there was some carryover. IIRC, you should be able to jump two terminals in the diagnostic connector and read the codes on the check engine light. You can also use an analog volt meter and read the pulses. Always start diagnosis by checking and reading the codes but just because you have an electronic fault code does not mean there isn't a mechanical problem causing it. e.g. 460's seemed to break rocker arms and bend pushrods without much provocation.

Engine idles flawlessly with no noise. I ran this by a neighbor who is a diesel mechanic, and the first thing he asked me was how old the gas is. Tomorrow I'll go fill up the main tank and see if that helps. Does disconnecting the battery for a bit clear an OBD I CEL?

If you PM me your address, I have an OBD 1 code reader that I'm pretty sure I'll never use again. Be glad to send it your way and get it out of my garage.

Lou

Thanks for the offer. I remember I have an old Ford dealer break out box for Foxstangs somewhere, but I don't know what it actually does or how to work it. Looks like there is straight coolant in the '97. Not sure if that does anything. My '97 CVPI has a low coolant sensor in it, as I discovered when a pinhole spray out of the rear of the intake manifold slowly lowered the amount. Could straight coolant frig a sensor, if there is one in the 460's system? Gonna drain just the radiator and put distilled in.

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 12:21:15 AM »
FElony -

I too have an EEC-IV code reader that I built at Ford as part of my training.  If the other one doesn't come through, I'll be happy to lend it (send it) to you.  It does have some sentimental value, so I would like it back LOL!

These are really simple devices.  Just a couple of wires with connectors, beeper, LED, and switch in a box.  You can easily read the codes by shorting the pins as described above.  Just look up the two test protocols on YouTube - Key On, Engine Off and Key On, Engine Running.

Last time I used that thing was on a friend's 86 SVO Mustang :-)

- Bill
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

FElony

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 12:35:23 AM »
FElony -

I too have an EEC-IV code reader that I built at Ford as part of my training.  If the other one doesn't come through, I'll be happy to lend it (send it) to you.  It does have some sentimental value, so I would like it back LOL!

These are really simple devices.  Just a couple of wires with connectors, beeper, LED, and switch in a box.  You can easily read the codes by shorting the pins as described above.  Just look up the two test protocols on YouTube - Key On, Engine Off and Key On, Engine Running.

Last time I used that thing was on a friend's 86 SVO Mustang :-)

- Bill

Yes, I just was looking this up on YT. Seems I don't "need" a box. We'll see what happens. Thanks also for the offer.

Thinking about this stuff, I may hang on to the '05 truck a little while longer if it gets fixed and stays fixed. I have money in the brake components, as well as only 3k miles on new Firestone Destination LE's that I put on 18" Expedition alloys. And, I have a heavy duty amplifier cable running from the battery to rear bumper for the winch on my car trailer. All I'll need to do is get "amped" up myself to move the rest of the cars during monsoon season. Oh joy.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 07:34:14 AM »
Well FElony glad it worked out! I do not know whom is making this sensor for Ford. I did work for a supplier at one time but they were trying to get out of the automotive end, and by now have ceased because of "low profit margins". This " Drive by wire " introduced a level of complexity to auto's that is mind boggling (as you well know!) I learned on EEC-lV and just retired a 1993 F150 with a bit over 300k miles and only replaced an O2 sensor during its life as far as sensors go. A very reliable truck.

FElony

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 04:28:04 PM »
Well FElony glad it worked out! I do not know whom is making this sensor for Ford. I did work for a supplier at one time but they were trying to get out of the automotive end, and by now have ceased because of "low profit margins".

That injector wire connector I replaced is a common EV6 used by Ford, GM, and Dodge. Autozone wanted 25 freakin' dollars plus tax for ONE, and I would have to special order it! So I went home, got on eBay, and found the exact same part from some warehouse in SoCal at $17.50 for EIGHT, including shipping. I'm thinking they are offshore made, private-label for AC Delco, but available in a generic bag for cheap. Ford supposedly used
"superior" Delphi connectors, but a local mechanic told me they don't hold up any better than the cheap stuff.

Similar story with the coils. Talk on the FTE forum indicated that Ford had moved much of its common electrical production to China, and the stuff from there was the same as what Ford sells you at five times the cost. In a reversal of the game, I found aftermarket injectors on O'Reilly's website for a "decent" price compared to Ford. When I went to the local O'Reilly's, their price at the counter was much less than their website. I had to order them, and they called me the next day to politely inform me that my stuff was in, and to stop by at my convenience.

No rhyme, no reason. You just have to take each purchase one at a time. If anyone needs one or two connectors, let me know and I'll mail 'em to you.

This " Drive by wire " introduced a level of complexity to auto's that is mind boggling (as you well know!) I learned on EEC-lV and just retired a 1993 F150 with a bit over 300k miles and only replaced an O2 sensor during its life as far as sensors go. A very reliable truck.

There is a pronounced lag on the F-150's throttle body, purportedly programmed in for emission purposes. This is annoying in a tow situation, where off-the-line grunt is necessary. The power band between "gettin' goin'" and "out of breath" is pretty narrow, and the gear spacing of the 4R75 doesn't help at all. Off-idle is important to me, as the race track is 35 miles of mostly surface-street driving one way.

Aftermarket tuner sources such as 5 Star will, on request, program the throttle lag as far down as you want, including no lag at all. That's a huge plus, IMO. Also, I was looking to replace the rear gear (3.73, 9 3/4, T-Lok) with a 4.30 set. Ford said that they cannot tune the factory firmware past 4.10, since that was the deepest ratio available on that truck. Aftermarket tune only. (They also wanted $1250.00 to change gears, which made me laugh hysterically).

The '06 CV is DBW also. Throttle lag is far less on that, no doubt part of the Police firmware. I have not driven a civilian Vic to compare. However, it still cannot even chirp the tires from a standstill. This hampers the monthly renewal of my man card, for sure. Tuners available for that, too. I was gonna be sly and replace the 3.27's (T-lok) in the Vic with the 3.73's in the truck when I went to 4.30's, only to find that trucks with the factory Tow Package have 9.75-inch differentials instead of 8.8's. I swear Ford goes out of its way to piss me off. Don't even get me started on the new Fords, or the stratospheric levels of cluelessness the dealers' salesmen have about their products.  >:( >:( >:(

Anyway, I'll order a new switch and see what happens.

Katz427

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 05:14:28 PM »
I feel your pain FElony! Good you did some searching , before laying out the green! The best tuner I have run into ( l am sure there are others) is Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto up on Gratiot ave just past 23 mile road. He definitely knows his stuff and has told me that Ford software has favored a less responsive pedal in the trucks. I explained that I thought the pedal in my ecoboost escape is too sensitive, but I will leave it alone. FWIW every auto supplier is using China as a production source . The reason is simple , every year the auto companies and others would come in and demand a 5% cut in price for a part. After 4-5 years of that, there was only one thing left "get production from Asia".  I really enjoy the 390 in the 66 Galaxie and the simple layout. One can layout the electrical circuit on 1 sheet of paper!

The Magic Ratchet

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
"I ran this by a neighbor who is a diesel mechanic, and the first thing he asked me was how old the gas is."
I asked some people in the know about this and "shelf life" of current gasoline is only 90 days. After that it begins to deteriorate.

"Does disconnecting the battery for a bit clear an OBD I CEL?"
As far as I remember, yes. They sometimes go away by themselves, too.

"Looks like there is straight coolant in the '97."
Not desirable. Coolant needs water to activate the cooling properties, the additive package, and even give ultimate freeze protection. Straight coolant may cause your sensors to give erroneous readings, I'm not sure if it will ruin them for life. 

"There is a pronounced lag on the F-150's throttle body, purportedly programmed in for emission purposes."
You might try recalibrating the throttle body which synchronizes the throttle body to the pedal. It's a simple procedure, done from the driver's seat. You can look it up on the internet (I think you can find it on FTE) or it may even be in your owner's manual. It has helped the driveability of both my 2009 GT/CS and my 2006 E-450 (the E-450 has a 5-Star tune).

Lou Manglass
Proud owner of "The Magic Ratchet"

FElony

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2016, 06:06:06 PM »
I feel your pain FElony! Good you did some searching , before laying out the green! The best tuner I have run into ( l am sure there are others) is Lidio Iacobelli of Alternative Auto up on Gratiot ave just past 23 mile road. He definitely knows his stuff and has told me that Ford software has favored a less responsive pedal in the trucks. I explained that I thought the pedal in my ecoboost escape is too sensitive, but I will leave it alone. FWIW every auto supplier is using China as a production source . The reason is simple , every year the auto companies and others would come in and demand a 5% cut in price for a part. After 4-5 years of that, there was only one thing left "get production from Asia".  I really enjoy the 390 in the 66 Galaxie and the simple layout. One can layout the electrical circuit on 1 sheet of paper!

The writing on the wall is that China is headed towards economic problems of its own, sooner rather than later. I have seen the cost of Chinese stuff creeping up the last few years, as workers demand better income, and infrastructure soaks up a large amount of revenue. China is beginning to lose work to other countries further down the ladder. I fear that this will further degrade the quality of products we are already critical of.

This is, of course, the proverbial repetition of history. Items made in Japan and Taiwan used to have the same stigma, but no longer. Some of the repro parts for our cars are coming from one or more Taiwanese makers, and are very, very nice pieces in contrast to similar efforts from China. Lots of good stuff in general from Japan, but they will cease to exist as a culture in the coming years. At some point we will be bitching about junk from India while China collapses.

FElony

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:43 PM »
I asked some people in the know about this and "shelf life" of current gasoline is only 90 days. After that it begins to deteriorate.

So, what would bad gas do to cause a CEL in this case?

"Does disconnecting the battery for a bit clear an OBD I CEL?"
As far as I remember, yes. They sometimes go away by themselves, too.

The low coolant CEL in my '97 CV would turn off by itself when I put water back in.

"Looks like there is straight coolant in the '97."
Not desirable. Coolant needs water to activate the cooling properties, the additive package, and even give ultimate freeze protection. Straight coolant may cause your sensors to give erroneous readings, I'm not sure if it will ruin them for life.

So, bad gas and straight coolant. That'll give me a start. Is it wise to use Stabil or Lucas in vehicles that don't get driven enough? Preferred brand?

You might try recalibrating the throttle body which synchronizes the throttle body to the pedal. It's a simple procedure, done from the driver's seat. You can look it up on the internet (I think you can find it on FTE) or it may even be in your owner's manual. It has helped the driveability of both my 2009 GT/CS and my 2006 E-450 (the E-450 has a 5-Star tune).

I'm surprised that is possible. Will have to check into it further. Thanks!