Author Topic: Size Your Own Pushrod Kit  (Read 2396 times)

FirstEliminator

• View Profile
Size Your Own Pushrod Kit
« on: January 21, 2019, 01:08:48 AM »
Is there such a thing as a Do it yourself "Size your own Pushrods kit"? I have a lathe, arbor press even a cylindrical grinder. Dial calipers and even a Pratt & Whitney Super Micrometer that might accommodate the length of a pushrod.  A kit like this seems like something that would be out there. Pushrods with one end off that you size the tube length and press in the end.

Does this exist?
Mark
Berkshire Transmissions
North Adams, Massachusetts

70 Cougar XR-7 460 C-6
70 Cougar XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Cougar SS 351w AOD
69 Cougar Sunroof Eliminator 351w FMX
69 Cougar XR-7 390 C-6
68 Monterey 390 C-6
68 Monterey conv 390 C-6
64 Montclair Marauder 390 Merc-O
58 Monterey 383 Merc-O
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
68 Colony Park 428 C-6
68 Colony Park 390 C-6
58 Parklane 430 MultiDrive
70 Cougar Eliminator 351c 4 speed
I don't feel like a hoarder.

shady

• View Profile
Re: Size Your Own Pushrod Kit
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:58 AM »
I just use an adjustable checker from Jegs. i think it was $10 or $15 bucks. You will still need something to measure the length of the checker after you get it set.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

My427stang

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:03:32 AM »
https://www.jegs.com/p/COMP-Cams/Comp-Cams-Semi-Finished-Pushrod-Ends/1498083/10002/-1

Would be handy to do your own, especially if you need multiple lengths.  However, sometimes it's easier to just order what you need and spend the time doing something else to earn cash to pay for them LOL 

However, since you have a decent shop setup, might be a quick process once you get it down.  Additionally I am sure you could buy the tubes and ends from somewhere else in bulk, Smith Bros, Trend etc.

Might even turn into "Pushrod Madness" like Drew and his carbs, having another supplier is never bad if the guy can make a little money!
---------------------------------
Ross
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
- 70 Fastback Mustang, 489 cid FE, Victor, SEFI, Erson SFT cam, TKO-600 5 speed, 4.11 9 inch.
- 71 F100 shortbed 4x4, 461 cid FE, headers, Victor Pro-flo EFI, Comp Custom HFT cam, 3.50 9 inch

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 11:04:03 AM »
There was in the 80s, i dont know now if there is

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

cammerfe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »
Had a situation a few years ago where we didn't discover we needed custom-length pushrods until the afternoon before a scheduled dyno session. I cut a half-inch out of a stock pushrod and bought a proper-sized length of all-thread rod. Tapped an inch-plus inside each piece of pushrod and screwed-in a piece of the threaded rod with a couple of locknuts in the middle. Got the length and called Smith Brothers. The pushrods were delivered the next morning and the engine was buttoned-up in ample time to go to the dyno for 10 AM. :)

KS

C8OZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 01:28:57 PM »
I cut a half-inch out of a stock pushrod and bought a proper-sized length of all-thread rod. Tapped an inch-plus inside each piece of pushrod and screwed-in a piece of the threaded rod with a couple of locknuts in the middle...

I was literally on the edge of my chair at this point.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 01:50:39 PM »
Comp cams has the ends, 5/16" and 3/8" cups and balls. They also sell 10" lengths of .080 and .120 tubing.
All told though, by the time you by the cups at $50.oo a set, the balls at $40.oo a set and the 10" x .080  ×  16 tubing at $130.oo a set you most likely would be better off time and money wise just ordering a set.
Now I do think it's a good idea to have a set of cups and keep so.e in the trailer for race weekend. Never know when you may need to make a repair,  cut down a old long one, etc.
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 04:45:21 AM »
I got in a bind once building a hyd roller 390. I had a new set of stock pushrods so I chucked them up in the lathe and turned down the weld, pulled the cups out, shorted the tubes to the length I need and pressed the cups back in and a couple spot weld with the tig. They're still in the engine to this day. I wouldn't recommend it, but it was sunday afternoon and monday morning we had to be driving it....always planned on replacing them with the correct length new pushrods when we got back and never got around to it.

blykins

• View Profile
    • Lykins Motorsports
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:03:20 AM »
Just keep in mind that different pushrod manufacturers measure pushrod lengths differently.  Some do an OAL and some use a gauge point on the ball end.  There will be about .010-.012” difference between OAL and the gauge point and if you’re trying to be really accurate with short travel lifters or non-adjustable rocker arms, that .010”-.012” can mess you up.  There can also be that much difference between pushrod length checkers because of the different ways they interface with the lifter cup.

I use Trend predominantly for my pushrods so I have a full set of their length checkers. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 07:30:51 AM by blykins »
Brent Lykins
Lykins Motorsports
Custom FE Street, Drag Race, Road Race, and Pulling Truck Engines
Custom Roller & Flat Tappet Camshafts
www.lykinsmotorsports.com
brent@lykinsmotorsports.com
www.customfordcams.com
502-759-1431
Instagram:  brentlykinsmotorsports
YouTube:  Lykins Motorsports

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:52:17 AM »
As most - I use an adjustable pushrod and a 12" caliper.  I would then turn that OAL measure over to someone like Brent and let the expert make the final determination and place the order, based on the application.  Brent is very cost competitive, I don't even look at a catalog anymore LOL. 

Joe-JDC

• Truth stands on its own merit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
He seems to be asking for pushrods that he can measure and cut to custom lengths for his engine.  Those are available if you will do a google search, but it is a tedious job, and if you measure and write down what you need, Smith Brothers will make them and ship them overnight.  Shipping will cost as much as the pushrods if you go that route.  BTDT.  Joe-JDC
Joe-JDC '70GT-500