Author Topic: 7 Litre Driveshaft  (Read 584 times)

Diogenes

• View Profile
7 Litre Driveshaft
« on: July 16, 2023, 05:20:27 AM »
I have a spare 7 Litre driveshaft that came with the toploader I purchased from the same. I was looking it over this morning and noticed what appears to be a rubber insert where the differential yoke meets the driveshaft tube, as if it is some sort of a vibration damper built into the driveshaft--does anyone have any knowledge of these shafts? 

The driveshaft currently in my Galaxie does not have this feature; it was installed in the car when I purchased it, a Z code 390 C6 car originally. I'm just curious if this was a 7 Litre part to help make it the "smooth brute" Ford advertised
WHEN CRIMINALS MAKE THE LAWS, OBEYING THE LAW IS A CRIME.

1966 Galaxie 500 390 Toploader 3.89 Traction-Lock 9in.
1985 Toyota Celica Supra
1971 Montego MX wagon 351C Toploader Detroit Locker Cyclone competition gauge/dash bucket seats/console
1989 Texas DPS Police Mustang
1971 Torino GT 351C 4V AT
1968 Cougar 351W Toploader Traction-Lock 8in.
1989 Dodge Omni modified 2.5 turbo from hell

galaxiex

• View Profile
Re: 7 Litre Driveshaft
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2023, 07:15:39 AM »
Yes, I've seen those "2 piece with rubber insert" driveshafts on various Ford products.
Basically a tube within a tube joined by a rubber insert.
Apparently they can slip (not desirable) from lotsa torque.
Never seen that happen...

A friend had a 71 Mustang convertible with 302 C4 3.00 diff, that had one of those shafts.
We later made it a 351C w/top loader and 3.25 diff.
Reused the same driveshaft.

Vibration damping is the purpose.
Every 20 minute job is 1 broken bolt away from becoming a 3 day ordeal.

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 01:12:06 PM »
I had a 64 with a t-10 that had one of those. I assumed it was to kill noise from clutch loading and drive line harmonics coming back through the shifter handle. Always wanted to cut one apart to see how it was constructed. GM had a service bulletin where on manual transmissions if a customer complained about noisy trans. they would fill the drive shaft with expandable foam insulation. Real problem was weak clutch disc hub springs.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

Heo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2023, 05:26:12 PM »
It acts like a harmonic damper somewhat like the one on the engine
Its just two different size tubes vulcaniced together with the rubber
I have seen one explode when a guy decided to heat one up with the
oxy acetylen torch :o why i dont remember but it was a loud bang
the inner part came flying the guy squelig face full of freckles of
melted rubber ;D ;D ;D ;D

The defenition of a Gentleman, is a man that can play the accordion.But dont do it

WConley

• No longer walking funny!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2023, 08:00:01 PM »
I wouldn't trust that two-piece driveshaft, even on a stock vehicle.  The rubber has had 50 years to break down, and the rubber-steel interface has probably corroded from trapped moisture.

As stated above, these were intended to absorb driveline vibration.  The 7-Litre was a premium boulevard cruiser trim level  ;D
A careful study of failure will yield the ingredients for success.

cleandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 08:24:04 AM »
Yes.
The 7-Litre cars were originally equipped with a "torque tube" drivesahft.
This was used as additional noise, vibration and harshness abatement to end with a really quiet, smooth driveshaft......that eventually fails due to the rubber going bad over time.

Quiet and smooth were part of the goal in 1966 and this is but one portion of the whole.

I spent way too much money and time trying to get my original 7-Liter's driveshaft in owrking order.......don't bother unless you are building a real, 100% concours competition show car.

The trouble with the torque tube driveshaft is they will slip and the yokes will become out of phaze and this will cause a vibration.....from slightly noticeable up to chipping your teeth as you drive.
They don't usually get too long, or too short as they slip but once they are out of phaze the balance is ruined.

I had my torque tube driveshaft redone and as soon as I had my 428 rebuilt, with a bit of extra power.....nothing special in my car (420ish HP and 480ish TQ) it twisted the newly redone driveshaft because the rubber insert could not hold the torque.

I swapped in a solid driveshaft and have never looked back.

Yes, the solid driveshaft rings when hit....like they all do.
Yes, the solid driveshaft transfers more noise than the torque tube, especially when shifting into driver or reverse......you hear the clunk more that with the torque tube driveshaft.
But none of that is beyond anything every other car with a solid driveshaft experiences, so yes, it is noisier, but it is not noisy by most measures.

Remove, tag and keep the original torque tube driveshaft if you desire.
Then get a solid driveshaft from a non-7-Litre (LTD's used them too) or get a driveshaft made and never look back.