Author Topic: Local track closing for good  (Read 1156 times)

AlanCasida

• View Profile
Local track closing for good
« on: August 16, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »
A month or so ago the current operators of Kansas International Dragway (formerly Wichita International Raceway) announced they were not going to continue and if no one committed to taking it over by November it would permanently close.  Sadly, today I heard the land has been sold to be excavated for sand. The land the track is on has always been leased from a local farm family so the operators were not owners. Developers buy the land to dig up the sand and then a lake forms to which they sell plots for housing. I guess the allure of big money became too much for them to turn down. Really sad. It has been there since 1962.
It is a hard time for local small tracks since racer base is getting older and declining...at least around here. While there are some of the younger generation getting into racing, there's not enough to sustain it. Like a friend of mine noted at swap meets, all the folks there have grey hair.     
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 10:07:38 PM by AlanCasida »

frnkeore

• View Profile
Re: Local track closing for good
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 01:03:22 AM »
Very sad to hear.

How far will you now have to go to run your car?
Frank

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2021, 10:23:03 AM »
Losing a really big track here in Texas.  We were track side to see Bernstein go 301 for the first time.  Place went nuts. 

"Five million square feet of warehouse space at Baytown, Texas, wasn’t enough for Katoen Natie, the Antwerp, Belgium-headquartered international logistics service provider and port operator.

So the company is preparing to expand its footprint for receiving, storing, and distributing petrochemicals and consumer goods, as well as housing its process engineering and other business units—at the expense of NHRA-affiliated Houston Raceway Park.

The venue and sanctioning body jointly announced Wednesday afternoon that the home of its SpringNationals—a staple for the past 35 years—and host of two annual events from 1997-2000, will close following the April 22-24, 2022, race."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 10:26:13 AM by Falcon67 »

AlanCasida

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 12:56:06 PM »
Very sad to hear.

How far will you now have to go to run your car?
Mid America Dragway is only about 30 miles from me. However, I only like to go do time onlys and they really don't do that.  I could go on a regular race weekend but it is hit and miss to get a pass in. Tulsa Raceway Park is my next option and it is about a 3 hour drive. They have T-N-T nights almost every Friday and it is a nice facility so that is where I'll likely go. I usually only go two-three times a year so it isn't a big deal.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 12:30:33 PM by AlanCasida »

hwoods

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 07:11:54 PM »
same for Houston Raceway Park in Baytown TX. and the track in Sealy TX is closed as well, so no 1/4 mile tracks in Houston TX area
it is hard to balance your check book with your testoserone level
Previous FE Cars:   1965 Ford Galaxie 390/4spd then upgraded to 427 sideoiler
1970 Maverick 427 sideoiler.  X Pro Stock Car
Current build in progress 1964 Thunderbolt Clone

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 10:05:37 AM »
Texas Motorplex and maybe Alamo Motorplex would be about the only 1/4 mile tracks.  Alamo runs 1/8 mile I'm pretty sure for brackets. You don't want to run off the end of that track, you might get shot and for sure have some issue getting your car back. Ennis only runs 1/8 mile except for the national events.  Amarillo is an old 1/4 track but not sure you'd want to run a full 1/4 on it.  Sky view looks like they work it 1/8 mile. Same with Wichita Raceway, which I hear is a ruff piece of run. 

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 11:10:13 AM »
Old Oswego Dragaway, in Oswego, IL about 40 miles S-SW of Chicago closed decades ago for much the same reasons as land values soared. Today, aside from a tiny stone marker the village laid down, one would never guess a track was there. Hundreds of homes, town homes, etc, now dot the former farm land. Many fellas still around remember the track, surrounded by corn stalks, with lots of love.   
Bob Maag