Author Topic: BB, a question for you about filtration....  (Read 3062 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
BB, a question for you about filtration....
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:19:01 PM »
I am currently doing  some work to my '09 Mustang GTs 4.6. I will be putting an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger on it next winter after I build a stouter shortblock for it, but in the meantime I have put a  Steeda CAI on it. As you're probably aware, most all cold air intakes use a version of the K&N filter media.

My question is....is there a filter media that I can wrap over the main filter that will give better particulate filtration without restricting airflow? With computer tunes, if I restrict the air too much it will throw readings off and end up throwing a code. I would like to avoid that, but the filter used is rather course as I'm sure you're aware of. Learning a thing or two from you over the years about filters, I don't want to wear cylinder walls out any sooner than is necessary. The E-Force only uses 5psi so I think I can easily get high mileage out of the engine if it's cared for. I don't drive it in the winter and would like it to last as long as possible.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
is surface area. The greater the surface area the lower the flow and greater the efficiency through any given sq inch of the media.  Obviously a wide open filter causes less restriction then a small pore size filter media, but the wide open media is like a chain link fence it sucks at capturing particles and it has trouble holding what it caught. The fibers of the media play a key part in the  flow equation and the actual efficiency which is measured in ability to trap given size particles and hold said particles. The various bodies that govern engineering bodies such as SAE, Nat Fluid Power Assoc, ASHRAE and etc etc all dictate testing proceedures for the filters they use, using given flow rates and given size "test" particles, feed rates, flow rates etc..  I like to say that filter fiber sizes in scale are like this: cotton/cellulose = pencils and are considered primative, Synthetic's such as Pollyester/Polypropylene = toothpicks and glass fibers are more like needles in size, if you look at them all under a microscope. The fibers themselves are blocking/restricting flow. The smaller the fiber the less restriction, not amazingly high dollar and high performance industrial filters use the smaller tiny fibers, this allows greater flow, higher contamination capacity, less restriction and more precise particle control.    When you buy a filter you are paying for the holes not big fibers to block the flow. Oh by the way, the use of oiled cotton gauze with "stcky" surfaces dates back to the time of using spanish moss as a filter media. it's primative. The modern small fiber filters physically capture the contaminants in the fiber matrix vs sticking to a surface.
         So here is your answer, wrapping a filter media around a pleated filter is ass-backwards if filter efficiency/performance is on the line. Being denighed the pleating the wrap starts right off with less surface area.. Normally a prefilter is a really course media intended to get the big stuff out of the finer filter. No great wonder the high performance medias can be more tightly pleated then the bulky primative fibers. Finer media allows for far more surface area then the primative fibers. That's why a paper filter can easly have double or triple the pleats and surface area of a washable cotton gauze filter..
         So the trick is first don't use an air filter that has holes so large you can see them when it's held held up to a light. Think about increasing the surface area by using a larger filter and or stacking two filters.  Look at the NASCAR filter housing assemblies on eBay. The basses drop down and engulf the carb allowing a taller filter, the basses and lids are curved to encourage smooth flow and they even have  walls to aim and stabilize the flow. For a supercharged motor like your building I'd suggest looking at a new GT500 air filter at the FORD Dealer it is the typical cone looking but is made of high performance media.

cjshaker

• View Profile
Re: BB, a question for you about filtration....
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 11:35:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
I understand everything you're saying. I'll check out the GT500 filter, but if the filter media is no better is there a source for better medias in a more bulk form? There is enough area that I could build my own support structure to increase surface area of a custom made filter.. The area under the leading area of the hood is an extremely high pressure area...easily witnessed by the corners of the hood lifting at anything over 80mph
Bottom line is I would give up a few HP for increase in longevity, but don't want to penalize myself any more than necessary. I believe the increase in intake tube diameter and contoured entrys are the main gain points, and since the aftermarket filters are actually quite small, it wouldn't take much to increase surface area in a custom setup.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Qikbbstang

• View Profile
the GT500's filter may look like a K&N, but I assure you FoMoCo knew exactly what they were doing - that filter is micro-glass