Author Topic: O/T Timing Light and Tach/Dwell Meter  (Read 4805 times)

jimeast

• View Profile
O/T Timing Light and Tach/Dwell Meter
« on: April 21, 2015, 09:04:49 AM »
It's been many years since I used either, so I thought I'd ask.  I'm planning on picking up a used Sears Timing Light, the standard chrome model seen in on ebay and craigslist, and an inexpensive used Dwell-Tach meter.  Am I missing anything in terms of acceptable quality or accuracy buying older used equipment (assuming it works) for the purpose of getting my 390 tuned?

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
Re: O/T Timing Light and Tach/Dwell Meter
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 09:57:26 AM »
Nothing wrong with a vintage light, but a cheapo dial back is a good one also.
It allows you to check your mechanical advance.
The dwell-tach has it's place. I gave up on points long ago.
A vacuum gauge will help a lot with tuning also.
Using it to get the most vac at idel with carb tuning.

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 10:13:30 AM »
Have an old Sears non-dial back light as well. Some of the newer units do not play well with a MSD box and some other high energy boxes. The old ones most often do.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:42:08 PM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 11:25:43 AM »
Virtually every dial back light I have ever checked against my non dial back old school light shows an increasely retarded number as the rpm goes up, and the amount of retard is not consistant from light to light. Whatever floats your boat, but the way I check my mechanical advance is to use a non-dial back light and either a timing tape or degreed balancer.  Your mileage may vary...
The old non dial back Sears lights are excellent.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:27:47 AM by falcongeorge »

shady

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 12:20:09 PM »
lights with clamp on pickups are nice.
What goes fast doesn't go fast long'
What goes fast takes your money with it.
So I'm slow & broke, what went wrong?
2021 FERR cool FE Winner
2022 FERR cool FE Winner
2023 FERR cool FE Winner

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
Virtually every dial back light I have ever checked against my non dial back old school light shows an increasely retarded number as the rpm goes up, and the amount of retard is not consistant from light to light. Whatever floats your boat, but the way I check my mechanical advance is to use a non-dial back light and either a timing tape or degreed balancer.  Your mileage may vary...

Yep no more dial backs for me either. At least not the elcheapo ones. If I was in the auto repair biz I guess I could justify a nice dial back like the digital Snap-On. I got me an old (mid 70's) chrome Sears timing light off ebay last year. It reminds me of Buck Rogers' laser pistol. And it works good with MSD.
Kevin McCullah

ScotiaFE

• Howie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:15:48 PM »
I guess I lucked out. My Canadian Tire dial back is right on, even compared to my vintage Sun chrome ray gun and balancer marks.
You can even hear the Sun winding up.  ;D

TimeWarpF100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 09:57:00 PM »
It's been many years since I used either, so I thought I'd ask.  I'm planning on picking up a used Sears Timing Light, the standard chrome model seen in on ebay and craigslist, and an inexpensive used Dwell-Tach meter.  Am I missing anything in terms of acceptable quality or accuracy buying older used equipment (assuming it works) for the purpose of getting my 390 tuned?

I bought 2 of the Sears chrome timing lights way back in the mid 70's. One is the advance model which I have been using since then. Its always worked great. A few times thru the years I bought fancy snap-on or matco lights but ended up dumping them and going back to the sears version. The advance portion is still spot on after all these years.

The 2nd Sears light without advance is still in the BOX new!  I recently took it out of box just to look at it. It must be a bit earlier model because the spark plug end clamp is made of metal, unlike the other one is plastic. I really hate to put it to use now. Probably not too many new in box never used . .

2VNTG68S

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
I tuned my first engine in my Dad's garage with a chrome sears timing light.  Just picked up one of these today actually...

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ino-3568/overview/

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:32:42 PM by 2VNTG68S »