Author Topic: FT vs FE distributor TACH drive needed  (Read 11807 times)

4twennyAint

• View Profile
Re: FT vs FE distributor TACH drive needed
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:52 AM »
Sorry, will do.
1969 Torino Cobra, SCJ 4.30, 4spd under restoration
1964 Fairlane, 428, 4spd, 4.10, 11.63@119 race trim
1966 Fairlane GTA, 482, C6, 3.50, 11.66@117 street trim

ralc

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 09:03:57 PM »
If I remember correctly, last year the Dearborn Steel Tubing guys had a factory tach drive distributor (SK numbered if my memory serves me correctly) maybe give them a call and see if they still have it.

I'd just find an Accel dual point Tach Drive FE distributor and use that, It will be a lot easier to get a cable, tach. ect. Than the ultra rare ford unit. ( I think pertronix even makes a conversion for it...)

Nelson Specialties has a Ford racing unit XF part #  very rare from LeMans 24 hour racer

ralc

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2015, 11:14:17 AM »
I need a mechanical TACH drive distributor for my FE engine, after searching I find easy sourced part number and remanufactured unit for FT distributors but nothing for the FE.
I had read the older posts on the FT vs FE distributor.
In examination and reading I see the major difference is the oil pump drive 5/16 vs 1/4.
So I was looking at just buying a 5/16 pump to match the FT's drive.
But in taking some measurements It looks like shaft and matching hole the below the driven gear on the distributor is also larger not just the hex socket for the oil pump.

Is it possible to ream this holeon the FE engine  to match the FT distributor shaft size, and has any one done this?

If this is not possible does any one have part numbers for the FE tach drive units that work.

I see a lot of listing for FT/FE tach units but they all are really just FT.

falcongeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2015, 11:23:13 AM »
Here's one that sold a while ago for $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-FE-Accel-Tach-Drive-Distributor-Super-Coil-Moroso-Tachometer-Cable-/191081445461?nma=true&si=Rvm5YdTlflC9Xtt39VLAQDBeVLY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Yup, and its a pretty nice piece too ;).Id post a pic, but I cant figure out how to do that on my wifes ipad.good tach drive distributors for FEs are not cheap anymore.