Author Topic: quick fuel 750s  (Read 10069 times)

Stangman

• View Profile
Re: quick fuel 750s
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »
They do feel strong after I get it past my off idle quirk. I’ll get it with the help of you guys, and if I can’t maybe I will take Drew up on his offer. But I’m gonna put them back we’re they were originally
With the 72 jets instead of the 68s and start from scratch. In the mean time if anyone has anything else I should try don’t be shy. Like I said after Friday we’ll I have a wedding on Saturday so after Saturday I will have time to play.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:55 AM »
You should call your carb builder
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:54:39 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 02:57:55 PM »
Hey Drew Ya know that whole transition slot thing, for some reason it doesnt work right on my car
or the rest of the setup is wrong so it doesnt work on my car. The transition slot was there it was a perfect square shape car didnt idle well, closed it off and it idles well again. Even on my 1850s the transition slot wasnt there right out of the box, car ran great, took off  carbs and put the transition slot in and no good. Closed it off and its fine. But anyway I have the sheet with all the numbers that the carb came with but Im at work now and its not in front of me. Would a speed shop have air bleeds or do I call Quick fuel or are they the same as holleys

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 03:20:14 PM »
Yes. That is why I said to close the transition slot. It can be almost barely visible.
On 2x4 setups setting the slot square makes it very rich as you said.

As far as air bleeds I dunno. I make my own.

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 06:05:54 PM »
This is how they came
pump nozzle   33
boosters   45206
booster pin size  160
high speed bleeds  33
idle air bleeds  70      Secondary   33
MJ 72     Secondary   82
PWRValve  6.5
PWV Channel Res  52
Emulsion # stages   33-31-29
Kill bleed  29
Idle feed restriction  36       Secondary    39
needle and seat  110
accel pump30cc
Cam pink

I will open the slot alittle

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2018, 06:06:58 PM »
This is how they came
pump nozzle   33
boosters   45206
booster pin size  160
high speed bleeds  33
idle air bleeds  70      Secondary   33
MJ 72     Secondary   82
PWRValve  6.5
PWV Channel Res  52
Emulsion # stages   33-31-29
Kill bleed  29
Idle feed restriction  36       Secondary    39
needle and seat  110
accel pump30cc
Cam pink

I will open the slot alittle

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2018, 07:56:04 PM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:55:26 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Drew I do understand about the slot I have it off completely now, and you want me to open it so I can see it a smidge
correct or am I not understanding, Im not sure which are the Idle air bleeds I can look it up. Just noticing about the slot
just a smidge on the front carb and closed on the rear!? Not sure about some of the terminology but I will look it up. Dont think Im not listening Im just not familiar with doing this stuff. The basic holley stuff usually gets me by  Im new at this stuff your trying to explain

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2018, 10:39:28 PM »
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:56:11 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2018, 11:37:38 PM »
Thanks Drew I have been looking at the locations of all the idle and air bleeds, I think I’m going to need a kit. So going from number 76 idle air bleeds from 70 is going to lean it out right. You know I think it stumbles now, I have to give it more gas to get past it, or farther up in rpms. I really didn’t expect these to run so poorly it’s almost like something is wrong. As of the moment the out of the box 1850s ran better.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2018, 08:07:55 AM »
I don’t wanna make anyone angry bout it. But I’ve had 5 sets of custom quickfuels
Here and they were all calibrated like yours. They all ran great on a dyno. They all
Ran like yours on a real car.

Oh. Disclaimer. Set your floats to the bottom of the window first. Note changes
Make another change, let’s say emulsion, note changes.
Change the air bleed. Note changes. Please don’t change it all at once. 
You’ll get a better feel for what it’s doing and you’ll be less likely to get lost.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 08:10:20 AM by Drew Pojedinec »

Stangman

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »
Ok well now I gotta get them to run well, gotta go paint now see ya in a little while

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2018, 08:36:51 AM »
Since this gets so technical  8)  I'll start a new topic when I get my carb apart and get a recommendation on a starting point.  I think I have it pretty far off base.

Barry_R

• View Profile
    • Survival Motorsports
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2018, 09:09:54 AM »
Without getting into the proverbial contests...I can tell you for certain that the QFT package will have a fairly linear A/F ratio throughout the RPM band and will respond in a linear and predictable fashion to jet changes.  The traditional vintage Holley 2x4 package will be less responsive and linear to changes and will go non-linear on A/F as you stray from the OE calibrations - becoming extremely rich at WOT with even very small jets.  They drive good but you end up making significant changes to get them under control with more powerful engine combinations.

Every carb modifier and even Holley went to the emulsion happy fuel package because it flat works from a power and linear mixture perspective.  Holley's original fuel packages were equally sorted out with the emphasis on part throttle drivability and transitional behavior.  You tune to your combination and either strategy can be made to work.  Neither group did what they did because they were blind to the other issues.  The folks that started QFT and worked there were mostly former Holley employees in marketing, sales, and primarily engineering.

I concur with closing down the throttle at idle until the transfer slot is barely visible.  Sometimes they benefit from checking and recentering the blades in the throttle bores - whether Holley or QFT that seems to be missed sometimes and can give quirky behavior.  Do not close the blades all the way against the throttle bore for idle.  The blades have a 7 degree angle on them to prevent binding, but you can still raise a burr in the bore or accumulate carbon on a hard close that can lead to sticking.

You have a lot of levers and knobs to pull to adjust the light throttle burble.  Transition to main can be affected by a lot of things including specific gravity of your fuel, alcohol content, fuel pressure/float position relative to emulsions, etc.  I bet you can make it work pretty well with just a little tuning.

Drew Pojedinec

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2018, 09:52:59 AM »
Yeah, in no way do wish to insult or talk bad to you Barry.
As stated, many ways to skin a cat. Being that you have some
Skin in the game I’ll happily let you walk him through getting
His purchase usable.