Author Topic: Availability of Jerico replacement parts..  (Read 5544 times)

cjshaker

• View Profile
Availability of Jerico replacement parts..
« on: December 14, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »
Since the Jerico DR4 trans is no longer being supported by Jerico with replacement parts, there has been a big volume of them come up for sale on various sites. I still have not purchased a trans for the new engine, and was looking at getting the new DR4-4, but the price tag is pretty big. I could pick up 2-3 of the older DR4's for the price of one new DR4-4, but what about parts availability? I know there are guys out there with some stash of replacement parts, but who knows how long they will last.

Almost every older unit I see would at least need an input shaft change, as most are not the correct length for an FE installation, at least that's my understanding. Maybe I'm wrong on that; I don't know what other makes use for input shaft lengths. So would it be wise to buy a couple older units and just accept the ratios that come with them, and hope that I can still get parts in the event of a sooner-or-later breakage, or would it be smarter to save the dollars and just go with the newer version? This is a huge investment for me, so I don't want to regret my decision.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Bolted to Floor

• View Profile
Re: Availability of Jerico replacement parts..
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 04:43:18 PM »
Doug, you’ve said enough to convince me to buy a new DR4-4 or at least a used version on it. If you could buy 6-8 of them for the price of a new unit, that would make a used box a more viable option. At some point, a broke transmission could turn into garage art and you would still need to get something else. JMHO

John D -- 67 Mustang 390 5 speed

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 09:32:52 PM »
Doug,

I have a buddy with a DR4 all ready to go with a Ford input shaft. It’s at least fresh, might even be brand new. He bought it with some other parts.

I do know that Jerico doesn’t make parts for them, but I imagine that you’ll start to see more come up for sale as other racers upgrade and get rid of their spares.

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 01:51:00 AM »
Although it does appear that Jerico is not making specific parts for the DR4, I have to wonder if wearable items like the dog rings from the DR4-4 may be interchangable. For what its worth, I have 2 older DR4s, both of which I bought used, and have been racing with them for 20 years. In all that time, I have only broke a Jerico 3 times, 3rd gear in 2003, I broke 3rd in the 2nd trans in 2013 or 2014, and midway thru this season, on a SaturdayI broke the mainshaft in the Fairmont. My buddy had an extra mainshaft, so I was back in action for Sunday. On both cars, I always dumped the clutch at 6000+ RPM, so all things considered, I think thats pretty decent service life. I have considered selling both my Jericos, and buying a new GForce or DR4-4, but since I a person could likely buy 3 used DR4s for what a new DR4-4 or G force G101 costs, I will likely stick with my old Dr4s for the near future.There must be thousands of old DR4s still out there, so even if new parts are not available, there should be enough parts transmissions and pieces out there to keep me going for years. There are still guys racing vintage Doug Nash 5 speeds, which have been out of production for decades. It would be nice if somebody else decided to start making new parts for the old Jericos, or maybe Jerico will realize that there are still plenty of guys out there with these older transmissions, and reconsider their policy.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 01:57:09 AM »
This is a tough call and I'm one of the many Jerico owners who thinks their decision to not supply DR-4 parts anymore is BS. I'd also be reluctant to spend any more money with a company that doesn't seem interested in supporting Drag Racers any more. Hard to say how long they'll provide DR4.4 parts.

All that I mind, in your situation I'd probably buy a good DR-4 or a couple you can turn into a usable trans with a few spare parts left over. They can take a lot of abuse and you may never find the need to repair anything if you start off with a good piece. I need to take a look at the one I'm currently using but it's been trouble free for 3 seasons. My "spare" is ready so hopefully I'll be fine until I'm too old to drive.

fekbmax

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 03:48:53 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I run the CL 4 and have zero spare parts for it. Can't even find a good used piece for parts. I love the tranny and have had none of the nightmares with it that I hear so many others have. Sure, my clutch pack comes in and out alot for service and I have to true up my disk but I talked to Jerry years ago and he drilled it into my head to creep up on it and slip the clutch until you find the sweet spot. Even though it clearly tells you that in the manual, so many guys go out there with way to much base and tear one of these trannys up in just a few passes. I know sooner or later I'm gonna have to do something different.  I like there stuff, I been looking hard at there split case unit. A local guy here runs one in a 10.5 tire fox body with a kuntz small block. That thing eats, he said he loves the unit.
I have alot of experience with a lenco in the top sportsman car, maybe I should just toss in a ST1200 and forget about it..  ???

Butlergear.com
Gibbsgear.com
Been told to contact these guys. Supposedly they can duplicate any worn or broken gear, spline, ect. 
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:19:21 AM by fekbmax »
Keith.  KB MAX Racing.

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 11:27:53 AM »
I also think it's BS that Jerico won't support the older trans, basically giving old customers the finger. That seems like a really shitty thing to do. It has made me reluctant in even considering using them, but I still think the Jerico is the best fit and choice for my car and intended use.

The -4 Revision is based on wider gears and increased size on the input shaft, which would increase the strength of the tranny considerably, making it less prone to any gear breakage, although finding any real world use info is nearly impossible to find. My pause for concern is that the new engine might be pushing the limits of the older unit, especially since my car won't be as light as most dedicated drag race cars. Ugh, I hate decisions like this. I feel like I'm just rolling the dice.

Rory, G-Force has the G101 listed as $4900, considerably lower than the new Jerico, but from my observation, guys have more problems with them. Again, I may be wrong on that because it's only based on what I can find on various websites. I haven't spent lots of time at tracks to know for sure. What is it about 3rd gear that seems to make it the weakest point? I would think it would be 2nd gear that takes the most abuse.

Currently, I'm thinking like Dale, to get a couple DR4s' and make sure I creep up on the clutch set-up like Keith said. The drawback to that, I think, is having a spare parts tranny that has different gearing ratios. So you'd be stuck with using gears that may not be ideally compatible with the other gear ratios, although that may be less of an issue than I make it out to be. With my lack of experience, I tend to overthink things at times ::)

Does anyone know of a supplier of spare parts for the DR4? Because if I go the used route, I'd most likely, at the very least, have to find a correct input shaft. It would suck to buy a tranny, then not even be able to find a correct input shaft.

Keith, I checked out those gear sites. They look good, but I'll bet they ain't cheap for one-off gear making.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Rory428

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 09:03:39 PM »
Doug, the reason that 3rd gear is the weak link, is because 3rd is the furthest gear from the rear mainshaft bearing. Under load, the gears are trying to push the mainshaft and cluster away from each other, 1rst & second are close to the large rear bearing in the case, and 4th is just the input locked to the mainshaft, and the front bearing for the input is less than an inch from the gear, so its pretty solid too. With 3rd at the very front on the mainshaft, when the shaft is spreading, the teeth on 3rd can ride up higher, rather than deep into the widest part of the gear teeth. On an old Nash 5 speed, there is a center bearing which helps hold everything in place, and on the G Force 101A, they have a "handcuff" that acts as a brace to prevent the mainshaft from walking away from the cluster. As for finding the correct input shaft, you never know who may have one laying around. I bought a bunch of stuff from a ex FE Super Stock racer on the East Coast a few months ago, and he said that he had a couple of Jerico input shafts left over from his 428 4 speed days. I got one of the inputs for DaleP, we were going to buy both, but he couldn`t find the 2nd input at that time. I could call him to see if he did eventually find it. He also told me that one of his old DR4s was for sale , may still be. The input I got for Dale is a Ford big spline 1 3/8"x10, but both of my Jericos use the MoPar "Hemi" spline, which is 1 3/16"x 18, but with the correct length and pilot diametr for a Ford. Actually, although both my Jericos use the same MoPar spline, the inputs shafts have different lengths, as the trans I use behind my small block Ford, uses a T5 depth scattershield, so its input shaft is about 1" longer than the trans I use behind my FE.The nice thing about the MoPar spline input, is that I was able to use much more common small input Ford throwout bearings and clutch forks, rather than the rarer 427,428,429 big input stuff, which gives a little more clearance inside a conventional depth FE scattershield. Also out here at least, most of my racing buddys tend to use the MoPar spline discs, so if ever needed, a replacement disc is easy to find. Years ago, we changed the main drive gears on the Jerico behind the FE, so I could use it behind my 85 Mustang 5.0 Stock Eliminator car, which changed first gear from 2.96 to 3.19. A couple of years later, I bought my 2nd Jerico, and was lucky in that it was already a T5 length MoPar spline with a 3.19 low, so other than the input shaft length, I could use either trans behind either engine.
1978 Fairmont,FE 427 with 428 crank, 4 speed Jerico best of 9.972@132.54MPH 1.29 60 foot
1985 Mustang HB 331 SB Ford, 4 speed Jerico, best of 10.29@128 MPH 1.40 60 foot.
1974 F350 race car hauler 390 NP435 4 speed
1959 Ford Meteor 2 dr sedan. 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed Toploader. 12.54@ 108 MPH

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 09:51:21 PM »
Rory, thanks for the explanation of the 3rd issue. I know G-Force uses the 'cuffs', and several other performance trans companies use something similar with a center support for the main shaft. I imagine that was Jericos' reason for going with a bigger main shaft. I wonder if the cases are the same size, since the gears are wider also?

I sent you a PM.
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

Posi67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 01:28:37 AM »
One thing to consider is "most" of the Jerico guys shift clutchless which certainly doesn't help with longevity. I stab at the clutch although sometimes hear it crash into gear which means my foot isn't as good as it used to be. Another thing to not do is 3rd gear burnouts. I used to do that just to get some wheel speed up but the shock coming out of the box will break the main shaft. Disconnected my 2 step for the burnout and now do 2nd at 6000 by watching the tach.  Treat your transmission right and I think it will survive a long time.

https://youtu.be/g8AGKQGUysQ

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 02:01:46 AM »
Like Larry has said several times, some guys could break an anvil. I have no desire to break and destroy parts by shifting clutchless. Cleetus McFarland has a video he put out a few months back, demonstrating his newly face-plated T56. He shifts it too slow and you can hear the dogs skipping over each other before engaging. Makes me cringe just listening to it.

You can watch a few seconds of it here...
https://youtu.be/5-cDqeQjn6g?t=273
Doug Smith

'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
Cleetus? Now THAT'S funny!  ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:18:46 AM by machoneman »
Bob Maag

KMcCullah

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 12:54:52 PM »
The drawback to that, I think, is having a spare parts tranny that has different gearing ratios. So you'd be stuck with using gears that may not be ideally compatible with the other gear ratios, although that may be less of an issue than I make it out to be.

I don't think having several trannys with a mixed bag of gear ratios is a drawback at all. You will probably find one of them turns much better times than the others.

A few years ago I looked for a used DR4 to mud race. My issue was the same as mentioned above, the input shaft. Finding good used Jerico parts was tough at the time. Maybe enough newer trannys have been sold since then and old DR4's are a little more plentiful now?
Kevin McCullah

machoneman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
I think the danger here is pretty obvious. If Jerico won't make the requisite parts, who will? Likely no one and now you are all stuck bidding up the value of used parts and just hoping things will work out.

Put another way and knowing no parts will ever be in the pipeline, it's the cost alone of a new tranny, Jercio or not, that holds back the correct decision. I say this as a former racer and one who likes a $ saved as much as anyone else but, unless a separate vendor immediately steps up to make said parts, it appears to be a bad choice to try and keep an old tranny going.

Flame on!
Bob Maag

FElony

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 11:25:34 AM »
On a side tangent, has anyone here bought one of David Kee's all-new Top Loaders and beat on it mercilessly? Haven't talked to him directly yet, but I have to wonder if it is stronger than the original, which might be good enough for some of us.