Author Topic: Information on Mississippi 427 Fairlane  (Read 5371 times)

67xr7cat

• View Profile
Re: Information on Mississippi 427 Fairlane
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2021, 07:06:25 PM »
Although Marti does not have all the information for 1966, he may have some.  It would be worthwhile to contact him. He may have who ordered the car and who it was sold to.  I'd think that information would be very helpful to trying to learn the cars history.

As for people being skeptical cannot blame them.  Are a lot of fakes and frauds out there.

fajr22

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2021, 09:52:23 PM »
If it’s an R code vin on the tag, it’s clearly not a fake. Nobody just makes tags. Especially as old as this car is and all the accurate information on it. Most people just want to be skeptical because it’s not theirs. Like I said before, I’m not here claiming the car is anything more than it is. The information I’ve provided matches the door tag. That’s why it’s going to be a car that’s history is only known by the previous or original owner.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 10:50:42 PM by fajr22 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:56 PM »
If it’s an R code vin on the tag, it’s clearly not a fake. Nobody just makes tags. Especially as old as this car is and all the accurate information on it. Most people just want to skeptical because it’s not there’s. Like I said before, I’m not here claiming the car is anything more than it is. The information I’ve provided match the door tag. That’s why it’s going to be a car that’s history is only known by the previous or original owner.

Yes they do make door tags (https://www.ebay.com/itm/121814389580), and yes they are faked all the time. You can get a door tag made with any codes put on it that you want. Were you not aware of that? You can even get "original" style rivets to make them look authentic.

There are quite a few guys here who have been racing Fords since the early '60s, and some even for Ford corporate. Throwing stones at people without knowing who they are is not going to get you anywhere.
Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

fajr22

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2021, 11:24:17 PM »
Well why don’t they contribute to the topic then?? I don’t believe I asked anyone anything beyond that. If they have information, give it up. Throwing stones at the car because you do t own it, isn’t answering the question.

;D ;D ;D You really think I don’t know in modern years they made tags??? Nobody was faking these cars in the 60’s & 70’s unless it was the manufacturer.. There was no money in it and certainly nobody making bootleg tags for them. They were worthless used up junk. Never ceases to amaze me how some forums are more interested in bashing someone’s car rather than answering the question at hand. If you don’t have any history on the car, then just keep scrolling. I don’t need Google information. All of us have that already..

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2021, 12:15:02 AM »
I think what people are trying to point out is that when Ford was building prototypes it wasn't unusual for them to use a chassis intended for a different powertrain hence they had a different engine code on the VIN tag.The fact that your car has the R code in the VIN implies that it was built farther along in the process possibly after normal production began.The build date in Oct 65 you referenced was clearly after the start of normal 66 production,and I've never seen the 66 427 Fairlanes referenced as 66 1/2's which leads me to believe that they started production of them at or near the beginning of 66 production.

427John

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2021, 03:20:01 AM »
As far as VIN tags being the only source of the VIN that simply isn't the case,the VIN including the 5th digit engine code is stamped into the body panels in multiple places.Depending on the model it can be stamped on the edge of the inner apron,or on the core support for unibody cars and on the firewall/cowl area on fullsized cars.Even the 62 and earlier Galaxies had it stamped into the top of the frame rail.

427FeWedge

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2021, 03:24:19 AM »
Thank you, exactly the point. He has been on the defense about this car without any answering any specific questions.
Without its origin, time slips, residual lettering under a layer of paint it is going to be difficult and or next to impossible to trace its history.

1) If  it is one of factory Drag council team cars it would not be unusual that a modified pre-production version would be supplied by Ford  to r-code specs by the various Ford vendors (DTS, Holman Moody, Ford X Garage ).
I have one on the 11 factory 62 lightweight Galaxies re bodied to a 63. It is not a R code but a G code and doesn't fall into a production category but is still a 63 lightweight.

2) Is reason there was 57 66's is because Ford Engine Foundry could only supply 57 427's to the Atlanta plant by the required due date. His is not hearsay but Ford interoffice document's I've seen.

3) Press cars usually because of the leed time would be pre production vehicles and not matching engine codes or transmission combinations (example, automatic transmission in in the Phil Bonner 427 Fairlane test).

4) It was not unusual back in the day for race cars to be updated with the next year sheet metal so I wouldn't be concerned about that.

I asked specific questions regarding the holes in the shock towers and contacting Don Antilla without a answer.

I am not trying to slam this car nor am I jealous but in all honesty from the FB pictures and the current separate thread, I haven't seen anything that would convince me that it is a 66 production R-code Fairlane.

Moving on to race history it would be helpful to have a time frame and specific location.
I get it, these cars can be a size able investment and you want to make sure what you buy is a legit vehicle
If I am wrong in my opinion I will gladly apologize in this forum as to any error in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 01:21:21 AM by 427FeWedge »

C8OX-FE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2021, 07:37:22 AM »
How about a picture of the door tag?

GerryP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2021, 07:52:07 AM »
How about a picture of the door tag?

A while back, some poor fellow made a post about a Fairlane he bought.  He posted the info on the door tag, which matched the title, but the car didn't seem to reflect the door tag.  I told him that on the unibody 66-67 Fairlanes, the VIN was on the driver side top of the core support.  Guess what?  The core support VIN and the door tag VIN didn't match.  I had to inform the poor soul that all he bought and titled was a door.

Door tags are meaningless.  You have to get the registration VINs.

BH107

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
Contact Don Antilla up Southbury, Connecticut and get a Marti report.

I have spoken with Don, he’s a Facebook friend.

BH107... Um that’s why I’m here trying to track down the cars history  ??? You’re pointing out the obvious. The point is like the July 66 Hot Rod article these cars do exist and ARE out there. That’s the entire point of trying to line out what the cars part was in history. I’m not making any false claims or assumptions, just the facts of the car and it’s existence. I find it strange that everyone wants to take their jab at it or discrediting a car they know ZERO about, rather than maybe ask around. The car IS AN R CODE with Ford Vins and tag. Like it or not.

427wedge.... Even if there was a Marti, it doesn’t mean it would give the cars history. Beyond production. Which if it was pulled, it likely could’ve left different than the Marti says.

Actually I have talked to several people about your car and there are many problems including that your door tag says it’s a 67, while several of the codes on the tag were 66 only. What about it calling out a C4 transmission which we obviously know Ford never put behind a 427 or any other FE for that matter? Or if it was a prototype or advertising car why does it have a standard Memphis DSO?

fajr22

« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2021, 09:07:56 AM »
B107, there’s several answers to that in which are being sorted out. The people in the know believe the car was pulled from the line and restamped by ford then sent to Memphis DSO to be sold to the public after they were done with it. Since the history of the car lines up with that. Thanks though for being a posting my cars information online, if I wanted it here, I would’ve posted it. The information has zero to do with what I asked about IE the cars owner history. Clearly the information of the cars history requires me to search elsewhere. Have a good day.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2021, 10:30:57 AM by fajr22 »

cjshaker

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2021, 10:41:52 AM »
If you don’t have any history on the car, then just keep scrolling. I don’t need Google information. All of us have that already..

This is a forum, open to members to comment, so feel free to ignore my posts if you want.

Just an observation to guys that drag raced these cars, but wouldn't the rubber isolators on the rear springs be one of the first things to eliminate for racing? Seems a bit odd that they are still in place. And I'd consider it a minor miracle if in fact that is "the original date coded engine", given the assumption that it was raced for several years. 427's weren't exactly known for being bulletproof in the drag racing world. Does anyone have an idea of how many 427 factory race cars still retain their original engine? I can only think of a couple examples that have come to light.

Doug Smith

'69 R-code Mach 1, 427 MR, 2x4, Jerico, 4.30 Locker
'70 F-350 390
'55 Ford Customline 2dr
'37 Ford Coupe

67xr7cat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 10:59:39 AM »
Frjr22 you sure get defensive quick.  Hate to tell you but all everyone here is trying to do is help and pointing out the inconsistencies of your car which is not out of line. Let me say I could care less about your car. To say anyone on here is jealous  is just insulting. . That said is a Cougar started life as a 67 was used as a prototype has several vin stamps on it. Prototypes are supposed to get destroyed. The few that get out to the public usually do so thru a Ford employee or factory race team. Never heard of a car being put back on the line and sold as normal.  Good luck with it. Going keep scrolling now....

Royce

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2021, 11:10:02 AM »
I assume you have exhausted efforts to track it down through DMV records.. Just saying that non standard cars with out of the ordinary back stories probably require 2 times the provenance than a regular production 427 car.. Reason being there have been a lot of cars and owners who have stories that are a bit offbeat and can't be validated.. As long as you are not offering the car for sale and are satisfied it is what it is, then who cares...
1955 Thunderbird Competition Coupe Altered Chassis "War Bird" 383 Lincoln Y block 520 hp
1955 Thunderbird 292 275 hp Y Block
1956 Ford Victoria 292 Y block

1957 Mercury 2dr Wagon "Battle Wagon" drag car 
1957 Thunderbird Glass body Tube Chassis drag car 333 cu in 500 hp Ford Y block
1961 Starliner 390/375 clone
1965 GT40 tribute w/FE
1966 Falcon Pro Touring project
Kaase Boss 547. 840 HP 698 Torque  pump gas
1992 BMW V-12 5.0
2001 Lincoln 5.4 4 cam.
1968 Cougar XR7

e philpott

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
So this car doesn't have the shock tower holes for the upper exhaust manifold bolts ??