Author Topic: Header build...All done!!!!!!  (Read 6277 times)

KMcCullah

• View Profile
Re: Header build...All done!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2021, 10:39:19 AM »
Nice work, Alan! You'll certainly be the only kid on the block with those headers.  8)

Lately I've decided to sacrifice sexy TIG welds for a second pot of coffee. Then grind the chicken$hit off the next day and re-weld.(caffeine regulated)  Oh the insanity. 
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 10:40:50 AM by KMcCullah »
Kevin McCullah

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2021, 11:16:54 AM »
Great work.  Same, TIG unit is on the list of required tools.  Although even with the MIG and cheater lenses it's getting harder to lay any kind of bead.  Stack-o-dimes ain't my skill either.  If the pieces don't break off when the car is running, that's a "good weld" in this shop LOL. 

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2021, 02:08:59 PM »
   A little off the header fab. subject, I have a Miller DIALARC tig & stick welder maybe 25 or more years old. The question is, are the newer tig welders such as Miller SYNCROWELDor other solid state machines much better tig welders?

RustyCrankshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2021, 09:14:34 PM »
   A little off the header fab. subject, I have a Miller DIALARC tig & stick welder maybe 25 or more years old. The question is, are the newer tig welders such as Miller SYNCROWELDor other solid state machines much better tig welders?

Not necessarily better. The old transformer machines are tanks and hold up well. The inverter machines have more features. Built in pulser, timers, etc that old machines don't have or were add-ons. I have both and I tend to use the old transformer machine for general tig use but if I get into some thin wall stuff or something a bit out of the ordinary then the inverter machine is nice because you can really dial in the machine to make up for my lack of skill.

I bought an inverter machine so I could take it with me and tig/stick in a lightweight package. I wouldn't, and didn't, replace a good working transformer machine for an inverter machine.

I am less of a fan of red and blue machines these days, although that's what I've always run in the past. Their inverter machine are mostly built in China and they plug a few IGBT cards into them once they get off the boat and are called built in USA.  I've bought a few other brands to try and the grass isn't greener but the price is better!

allrightmike

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2021, 07:43:33 AM »
10-4, thanks for the reply on the welder.

Falcon67

• View Profile
    • Kelly's Hot Rod Page
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2021, 11:21:22 AM »
Been eyeballing the "green" machines lately.  My MIG is a 120v Hobart unit and it's been a really good piece.  Yes, I wish I'd gone with the 210MVP, but still - it was a good buy at the time I got it.  Sold my old Century 90 at the swap meet for $50 LOL.  My advice when you do buy - DON'T buy too small.  Sooner or later, you'll wish.  Don't buy twice.